Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

home dishwasher question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home dishwasher question

Ok, question for your guys who may be more experienced at dishwasher repairs. I know nuzzing about it.

Lately, we have noticed that our dishwasher just doesn't seem to be washing dishes/silverware as good as it used to. I do need to say that my wife isn't as vigilant as she should be about rinsing dishes as well as she should.....So after the unit is done, it will have left blobs of (peanut butter, tomato sauce, whatever) on plates or silver. Additonally, if it doesn't leave blobs of whatever, it does leave a greasy film on everything, which makes us have to run it a second time.

I have a theory about the greasy film...could that be grease/oil dumped down the sink drain and backing into the dishwasher??? Is there a check valve on the dishwasher discharge??? Do I need to demand that she stop dumping grease down the sink? (I know I know she shouldnt be doing it to begin with, but she does it.....If I threaten to burn one of her longaberger baskets every time she does it I think I can get her to stop.....)

Is the dishwasher finally getting ready to go to appliance heaven? It was here when we bought the house 5+ years ago...So you gotta figure an average of running at least once a day, sometimes twice.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Dishwasher

Your problem could be your detergent. They(the makers) have to change their formula to remove the phosphates. We up here in Idaho have to trek into Washington for the good stuff. I hope this helps.....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Assuming you're using good DW soap (same one that gave good results before), adding a rinse agent, the water is hot enough, etc.

Check the nozzles in the rotors. They may have become clogged preventing them from distributing the water as well as they should. Check the drains/filters to make sure they're not partially obstructed.

Grease dumped into the sink shouldn't be getting into the dishwasher since it would have to get in by going through the drain pump.
      "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
      sigpic
      The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
        Check the nozzles in the rotors. They may have become clogged preventing them from distributing the water as well as they should. Check the drains/filters to make sure they're not partially obstructed.

Mine was clogged because of the hard water on the nozzles. And the grease is usually blasted away with the nozzles and HOT water. Your dishwasher should have a heating element on it. So i cleaned the nozzles with CLR on the bottom and just replaced the top one (It was pretty cheap). and replaced the heating element and it works like new.
        I hope this helps
        Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
        These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Comment

When ours had the problem we had to clean out the grinder pump. In the drain, before the pump is a grinder that grinds up whatever food is left in the water. There are several screens in front of this that sometimes get clogged. Try cleaning these out and it might help.

Comment

Try running a full bottle of vinegar in a wash cycle, run again as a rinse. Repeat again using CLR, run again as a rinse.

Knowing your water area pretty good, most likely you have a calcium/magnesium (hard water) problem clogging the sprayers.

Not only check your grinder/drain, check your hose to make sure it isn't clogged.

I run CLR once a year to keep it clear of hard water problems that we have here. So far, it is still cleaning like new, after 13 years of use.

FM1
            I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
            "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Mine hadn't been doing as good a job recently so I poured in a box of baking soda and it cleared right up.Another possibility could be that the water filter in your machine is in need to cleaning.You can do it with an (OLD-I don't need to be named as a correspondent in your divorce) toothbrush,if it's needed.

Comment

If your dishwasher isn't doing a good job, maybe you should feed her.
                “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

When ours wasn't cleaning well, we found that the drain was plugged - we also had a problem with water not draining....I took the racks out, took the bottom arm out and cleaned out the drain...actually pulled the whole thing out and made sure the hoses were all clear.....

Works great since then.......

Comment

Originally posted by pasobuff View Post
                    When ours wasn't cleaning well, we found that the drain was plugged - we also had a problem with water not draining....I took the racks out, took the bottom arm out and cleaned out the drain...actually pulled the whole thing out and made sure the hoses were all clear.....

Works great since then.......

A kind of a woman that I like! Knows what to do when things don't work correctly. Dives right in and fixes the problem head on!!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

A little olive oil, 2 baggies and a pair of old sox are all this dishwasher needs for maintenance.

That's because I hate wearing those stupid gloves when washing dishes and my hands get dry some times.

Comment

Don't discount "dishwasher heaven." They just don't make them like they used to. I average a new washing machine every 5-6 years and have been told (my daughter used to be a large appliance salesperson) that 5-8 years is now the life expectancy for large appliances.

I bought my first washer and dryer set (mismatched of course) from a used appliance store. It had to have been 15 years old when I got it and I used it for another 15 years, only replacing the heater coil twice on the electric dryer.

I'd go with the detergent recommendation first and if that doesn't seem to work, well...........say a few four letter words, kick it a few times (make sure the front panel gets dented so you have a reminder of how foolish you acted), slam the door a few times, then sit back and have a few beers. It always works for me!!!!!!

Comment

rofl @FFH!.....

Doesn't it suck that appliances are not made to last any more?.....we have mis-matched washer/dryer set as out old washer had a bearin leak and was coating things in grease every time we used a warm/hot cycle. We are hoping hte dryer lasts a few more years yet.....

Dishwasher and fridge are 'only' 6 years old now...crap!....I hope they aren't reaching the end of their useful life!.....although, my husband DOES was to remodel the kitchen at some point - but that is a BIG project as he wants to ADD to it!...like double the size.....

Anyone here know a good contractor in upstate NY? LOL.....

Comment

In case you haven't figured it out yet-it's the removal of phosphates from the detergent. Replaced my old dishwasher due to a remodel, same problem in both. Also same problem at work, and according to the other guys, they see it as well.

I read that adding a teaspoon of lemon juice helps, and I have noticed some improvement since I started doing that.

Comment

. watch it.

.....................computer issue
                              Last edited by len1582; 05-09-2011, 11:15 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X