Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefighting-related Tattoos - for everyone?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Firefighting-related Tattoos - for everyone?

    So a group of guys at the station all got fire-related tattoos last weekend. They look real nice, but of the group that got them, two were volunteers. Now, I'm of the mind do-whatever-you-want, but, aside from the career guys that got them as well, the rest of the guys at work are giving them both a lot of crap for getting them as volunteers. Personally I think a firefighter is a firefighter in this sense because in our department they do the same jobs and both of these guys have seen their share of real fire and rescue situations, but it got me thinking - what's the general consensus? What are your thoughts on volunteers getting firefighting tattoos?

  • #2
    I don't think Red Cross volunteers should have fire related tattoos. Neither should pizza delivery dudes, astronauts, baggage handlers, buisness executives, Hitler, taco truck drivers, mayonnaise manufacturers, school teachers, grave diggers, lottery ball spinners, big band leaders, ventriloquists, cops, burglars, hoteliers, sprocket distributors, babies, blacksmiths, cats, flowers, peanuts, bowlers, astronomers, soothsayers, dentists, prostitutes, seismologists, hobos, Justin Bieber, poets, morticians, zombies, bureaucrats, arm wrestlers, cashiers, the Pope, NASCAR drivers, mercenaries, or shrimp boat captains. But I can't stop them.
    IAFF

    Comment


    • #3
      I think the forums have hit ROCK BOTTOM.

      Have fun boys.......
      RK
      cell #901-494-9437

      Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

      "Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.


      Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MemphisE34a View Post
        I think the forums have hit ROCK BOTTOM.

        Have fun boys.......
        Loo, it has already had hit rock bottom before this thread hit the site.

        More or less about like the watch desk.
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

        Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

        Comment


        • #5
          I couldn't begin to pretend to care whether volunteers or career firefighters get tattoos or don't. And the fact that someone else doesn't approve of those tattoos sounds like a bunch of playground BS. Obviously some of the career guys didn't care that they were volunteers when they all went to get the tattoos originally so what's the big deal.

          Frankly I find nonsense like this ridiculous. How about we worry about the way the economy and politicians are shredding FD funding and staffing? How about we worry about our training levels? How about we worry about building construction that collapses within minutes of being exposed to fire? How about we worry about the new wave of charlatans who seek to destroy the fire service with their overzealous safety initiatives? Or isn't that as important as some guys giving other guys **** about their tattoos?
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
            I couldn't begin to pretend to care whether volunteers or career firefighters get tattoos or don't. And the fact that someone else doesn't approve of those tattoos sounds like a bunch of playground BS. Obviously some of the career guys didn't care that they were volunteers when they all went to get the tattoos originally so what's the big deal.

            Frankly I find nonsense like this ridiculous. How about we worry about the way the economy and politicians are shredding FD funding and staffing? How about we worry about our training levels? How about we worry about building construction that collapses within minutes of being exposed to fire? How about we worry about the new wave of charlatans who seek to destroy the fire service with their overzealous safety initiatives? Or isn't that as important as some guys giving other guys **** about their tattoos?
            Amen hallelujah! Testify, Brother, testify!
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by snowball View Post
              I don't think Red Cross volunteers should have fire related tattoos. Neither should pizza delivery dudes, astronauts, baggage handlers, buisness executives, Hitler, taco truck drivers, mayonnaise manufacturers, school teachers, grave diggers, lottery ball spinners, big band leaders, ventriloquists, cops, burglars, hoteliers, sprocket distributors, babies, blacksmiths, cats, flowers, peanuts, bowlers, astronomers, soothsayers, dentists, prostitutes, seismologists, hobos, Justin Bieber, poets, morticians, zombies, bureaucrats, arm wrestlers, cashiers, the Pope, NASCAR drivers, mercenaries, or shrimp boat captains. But I can't stop them.
              You forgot obama, John bell hood and Stonewall jackson.
              Get the first line into operation.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by L-Webb View Post
                You forgot obama, John bell hood and Stonewall jackson.
                Why you gotta bring Stonewall Jackson into this?
                Career Firefighter
                Volunteer Captain

                -Professional in Either Role-

                Originally posted by Rescue101
                I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                Comment


                • #9
                  If they want to risk getting Hepatitis or a nasty blood infection go right ahead and get the ink job, Don't make them any more a man.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by L-Webb View Post
                    You forgot obama, John bell hood and Stonewall jackson.
                    But ole Ben Franklin rates one don't he?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Did they hold hands when they got their tattoos?

                      Seriously though... who the hell cares?

                      What are you 9 years old?
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                      "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                      "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        And.......

                        You ARE kidding, right?.... Sorry, I think that this is an incredible waste of time. If someone wants a Tattoo, Fine, that's their business. Personally, I really don't like Tattoos or Jewelry on Guys, but that's America, they're entitled to it........ Amend that to I really don't like Tattoos. Period.
                        Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                        In memory of
                        Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                        Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

                        IACOJ Budget Analyst

                        I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

                        www.gdvfd18.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                          Did they hold hands when they got their tattoos?

                          Seriously though... who the hell cares?

                          What are you 9 years old?
                          I'm not 9 years old, no. Nor do I care that they got them. I was fine with it. I'm among those who thinks it's ridiculous the career guys who did care flipped them sh*t. No one said it made them more manly, nor was that the intent. My only question was if I was just somehow out of line and these career guys were somehow acting accordingly to give people they deem, "just volunteers," hell for getting a firefighting related tattoo.

                          Don't shoot the messenger!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            And..........

                            Dirty Axe - No Problem with the Messenger Bro. I just think that those who are stirrin' stuff back at the station are idiots.......
                            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                            In memory of
                            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

                            IACOJ Budget Analyst

                            I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

                            www.gdvfd18.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                              Frankly I find nonsense like this ridiculous. How about we worry about the way the economy and politicians are shredding FD funding and staffing? How about we worry about our training levels?
                              A mid-level manager was ranting and raving about a two dollar item on a subordinates expense voucher.

                              One of his employees asked, "Boss, you deal with hundreds of thousands of dollars every day - why worry about two bucks?"

                              The boss replied, "To be perfectly honest with you, all those hundreds of thousands of dollars are just too much to comprehend. But two dollars - that I understand."

                              Funding, staffing, training - those are items we can't usually directly affect as individuals. But a tattoo - that we understand.
                              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

                              Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X