• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Good Cop

Denville police officer rescues dog from burning truck

Published: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 7:33 PM
    Updated: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 8:08 PM

DENVILLE — A 20-year veteran of the Denville police department risked his life Monday to rescue a dog from a burning truck on Interstate 80, Denville police said.

Officer Michael Lucas responded to a call of a pick-up truck fire on the westbound lane of I-80 near mile marker 39.9 about 10:42 a.m.

Lucas arrived to find the truck and the travel trailer it was towing fully engulfed in flames. The driver informed Lucas that his dog Duke, a Vizsla/Rottweiler mix, was still inside the cab of truck.

“Lucas approached the vehicle, which was fully engulfed in thick, heavy black smoke and opened the door,” said Lt. Paul Nigro. “He couldn’t see anything and felt his way around the cab. He found the dog in the backseat.”

Lucas removed Duke from the backseat and the animal was transported to the Animal Clinic of Morris Plains for smoke inhalation. Duke was released a few hours later to his owner and is in good health, according to police

Kudos to him!
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Comment

My canine ignorance is showing: What on earth is a Viszla?
      “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
      ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
        My canine ignorance is showing: What on earth is a Viszla?
        From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other names Hungarian Vizsla
        Hungarian Pointer
        Magyar Vizsla
        Country of origin Hungary

Dog (Canis lupus familiaris)
        The Vizsla (English pronunciation: /ˈviːʃlə/ VEESH-lə, Hungarian: [ˈviʒlɒ]; English plural: Vizslas Hungarian plural: vizslák) is a dog breed originating in Hungary. The Hungarian or Magyar Vizsla are elite sporting dogs and loyal companions, in addition to being the smallest of the all-round pointer-retriever breeds. The Vizsla's medium size is one of the breed's most appealing characteristics as a hunter of fowl and upland game, and through the centuries the Vizsla has held a unique position for a sporting dog – that of household companion and family dog.

The Vizsla is a natural hunter endowed with an excellent nose and an outstanding trainability. Although they are lively, gentle mannered, demonstrably affectionate and sensitive, they are also fearless and possessed of a well-developed protective instinct.[1]

Comment

good for him, but why didnt the owner get his dog out when he got out of the truck ?

Comment

Originally posted by firemanpat29 View Post
            good for him, but why didnt the owner get his dog out when he got out of the truck ?
            That's what I was thinking. But the story leaves out a lot of details.

Did the owner get out of the truck because it was on fire? Did it overheat and he pulled over to see what is going on, leave the truck to check the engine, and then it caught on fire?
            "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Lucas arrived to find the truck and the travel trailer it was towing fully engulfed in flames. The driver informed Lucas that his dog Duke, a Vizsla/Rottweiler mix, was still inside the cab of truck.
              “Lucas approached the vehicle, which was fully engulfed in thick, heavy black smoke and opened the door,” said Lt. Paul Nigro. “He couldn’t see anything and felt his way around the cab. He found the dog in the backseat.”
              Which is it??? Truck fully engulfed in "flames", or "heavy black smoke"????

If it's smoke, fine, I would go in. If it's flames, I'm throwing a fork.

FM1
              I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
              "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                Which is it??? Truck fully engulfed in "flames", or "heavy black smoke"????

If it's smoke, fine, I would go in. If it's flames, I'm throwing a fork.

FM1
                Yeah, gotta love the journalist fire-speak. They throw around terms like "fully engulfed" and "backdraft" without an inkling of what they are talking about.
                “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
                  Yeah, gotta love the journalist fire-speak. They throw around terms like "fully engulfed" and "backdraft" without an inkling of what they are talking about.
                  It's why it's so much fun to mess with reporters.You can tell them anything and they'll believe it as long as you whisper it to them in a dark corner like you want to give them the scoop before the other reporters hear it.
                  I was forbidden to talk to reporters by my former Chief after he overheard what is infamously known on that department as the "NASCAR firefighter interview".I got all the facts straight(for once) and didn't anger the Great God HIPPA but:A. I wasn't supposed to give information out as I was not the PIO
                  and B. Couldn't I have talked like a normal human[CENSORED] being instead of sounding like I was jacked up on Mountain Dew and helium on a "live on the scene" report?

Comment

Whenever we give out information the news strangles and mangles it in unknown ways. I dont know what their intent is, but taking "Small basement fire" and turning it into "Multi-Department 2 Alarm" is baffeling.

Plus, our Dpt (Rural Metro) always gets shafted. Instead of "Rural Metro was assisted by TFD", its "TFD responded and was assisted by another agency".

Frustrating.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X