emergency light maintainence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
    the problem is one questions why you are joining the Fire Department, someone
    who is so worried about lights before they are even accepted are normally what we
    call whackers. We also call them scary. There are other reasons for joining a VFD
    than playing with blue lights.
    hmm... now that you say that it makes a lot of sense. i honestly got the light thing stuck in my head for the last month i completely forgot the real reason why i applied in the first place. so with that in mind im going back to that fire station with the right mind to save people and stop fires like my dad used to do. hes the one who inspired me to do this in the first place.

so i now say screw the lights, as long as it works and does what its supposed to do then thats fine. the real thing i should be worried about is doing my part for the fire department and the local community to the best of my abilities.

this is a big wake-up call for me. im actually sitting here smacking myself in the head because of how stupid i was acting. after considering all of this i now look back and i just cant believe that i would put forth lights over saving lives and fighting fires. i should have been focused on that in the first place.
    Last edited by chrismartin1701; 10-04-2010, 12:26 AM.

Comment

You shouldn't even be able to run lights for a while anyways. You need to get acclimated to the department, get your feet wet and start taking your classes that are needed. We just revamped our PA blue light SOP, and new probationary members are prohibited to run lights until they have completed their 4 modules of Essentials.

I'd really want to check with the department you've joined. Don't get your hopes up for even having lights on your vehicle first off depending on how they have their SOP written.

Comment

Sociopaths are completely capable of feigning normal human emotions in order to fit in.
        Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
          Sociopaths are completely capable of feigning normal human emotions in order to fit in.
          YAY! Hehe T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by RoaddoggAK View Post
            You shouldn't even be able to run lights for a while anyways. You need to get acclimated to the department, get your feet wet and start taking your classes that are needed. We just revamped our PA blue light SOP, and new probationary members are prohibited to run lights until they have completed their 4 modules of Essentials.

I'd really want to check with the department you've joined. Don't get your hopes up for even having lights on your vehicle first off depending on how they have their SOP written.
            actually thats not completely true, at least not in NY

Comment

Originally posted by chrismartin1701 View Post
              Then that is really scary... My guys have to have been on the department for 6 months minimum, AND taken and passed an EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operator Course) before being
              allowed to run lights.

Comment

How did this whacker get a light bar when he's not even a volunteer yet???
                “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                  How did this whacker get a light bar when he's not even a volunteer yet???
                  You can get them from anywhere without questions. Google lightbars, and you'll find a ton of sellers. Galls and Elightbars.com are just a couple.

FM1
                  I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                  "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

He may have bought it, found it or maybe someone gave it to him.

He is still a whacker. His reasons for becoming a firefighter don't wash either!!

IT may be illegal in New York to have a light bar and not be affiliated with the fire department!
                    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 10-04-2010, 11:38 AM.
                    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

i have an old Whelen Responder 2 dual halogen rotator mini bar(link to video below) and it is unbelievably noisy. i can hear it when im inside my car when its on. any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_IbkV6asQY

Hey kiddo, read this:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c128/a17.html

Section 375. Equipment.

4. Blue light. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle
                      owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person’s family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office.

Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter as provided for in this paragraph.

NOTE: The Chief of the department must authorize the use of the light, subject to "revocation at any time by the chief who issued"
                      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Read what I said. I never said can't, just shouldn't. That is my personal opinion.

Look, I'm just telling you our SOP, and what I feel is a prudent course of action form a line officer who helped rewrite our lighting SOP because we had issues with untrained people driving b*ll's to the wall for calls that they were unqualified to answer. Smart money is on not letting brand new guys with no training run lights is asking for trouble, sooner or later.

Comment

Though I still have lots of t shirts,I never succumbed to the lights and sirens craze and have actually reduced my t shirt wearing to less than once a week,IF I feel like it then.
                          I rode a bike to my station when on a volunteer department and though bike l/s kits were available from Galls,I never saw the point.
                          There were plenty of people trying to join the county vollie departments who already had lights from "My old department" or were already planning to rawhide through town just because they were on a fire department.
                          I hope this guy is for real and is taking the previous advice to wait until he is a member and has enough time on his belt that the department will authorize his using his light set.Get some experience and you might decide that it's more important for volunteers to get to the station and respond using the BRT and its lights and siren.
                          You'll find that it is a rare occasion that you'll actually need to run code 3 in your personal ride.You might also find the same reason to not carry your two way everywhere that you go and stick to your pager on vibrate when out and about in town.
                          That's just me though.
                          Hope you find the parts that you need.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                            Then that is really scary... My guys have to have been on the department for 6 months minimum, AND taken and passed an EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operator Course) before being
                            allowed to run lights.

That's the way it was at my old department near Paducah.You want to see how people take direction and treat their own vehicles before trusting them with emergency signals.
                            Not only that but the officers voted on whether you could get the authorization.I don't know if it was an official vote but like in the military where the officers listen to the sergeants,the Chief,who had final yea or nay power,took their advice to make his decision.
                            One guy kept griping because he was never allowed to get the okay even though he'd been a 22 y/o LT at his previous department.He never figured out that since he came in a lot with fresh damage on his POV,that the powers that be weren't about to trust him with the rigs or running lights and sirens in our district.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
                              im going to ignore that little comment........

Comment

im going to ignore that little comment........
                                Please don't.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X