Stupid question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question.

I want to be a professional firefighter at some point but I’m 5’8. Rather short by firefighter standards. Is there any height requirements? Am I too short to be a fireman :P.
    “The more you sweat in practice the less you bleed in battle"

Originally posted by JasonAre View Post
    I want to be a professional firefighter at some point but I’m 5’8. Rather short by firefighter standards. Is there any height requirements? Am I too short to be a fireman :P.
    I would not see where that would keep you from becoming a fire fighter, as long as you could do the work. We had a female fire fighter that was 5'4" and she had no problems.

Comment

First of all... it is not a stupid question if someone doesn't know the answer.

To answer to your question, it depends on the department. Determining a person's ability to perform a job based on just height may occur, but it should not be the only thing factored. You don't give anymore details about your physical situation, so I can't answer you with any realiability.

If you're 5' 8" and weigh over 300 pounds, you're not a good candidate. See my point?

Our dept evaluates a candidate on several levels. Height is only a concern if the candidate is extremely small or excessively huge. If you can pass the PAT, you should be able to find a department that will take you. We have several males, and females, that are about 5' 8".

Don't let your height get in your way and become your own worst enemy. Don't let it be an excuse. You are only limited by yourself.

Good Luck.
      HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by PaladinKnight View Post
        First of all... it is not a stupid question if someone doesn't know the answer.

To answer to your question, it depends on the department. Determining a person's ability to perform a job based on just height may occur, but it should not be the only thing factored. You don't give anymore details about your physical situation, so I can't answer you with any realiability.

If you're 5' 8" and weigh over 300 pounds, you're not a good candidate. See my point?

Our dept evaluates a candidate on several levels. Height is only a concern if the candidate is extremely small or excessively huge. If you can pass the PAT, you should be able to find a department that will take you. We have several males, and females, that are about 5' 8".

Don't let your height get in your way and become your own worst enemy. Don't let it be an excuse. You are only limited by yourself.

Good Luck.
        I’m 5’8 and like 190 pounds. I’m in decent shape, personally I think with training I could handle the job. I mean I’ve seen firefighters (males) about my height and they seem to handle themselves fine.

And what is the PAT?

Comment

PAT - physical agility test.

We have a number of guys on my department who are actually less than 5'8", and several women also. As long as you're physically fit, the height shouldn't be an issue for you.
          Career Fire Captain
          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Yep..........

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
            PAT - physical agility test.

We have a number of guys on my department who are actually less than 5'8", and several women also. As long as you're physically fit, the height shouldn't be an issue for you.
            Same Here...............
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
              Same Here...............
              You’re a P.G County Firefighter? I hear nothing but good things about that area and it’s fire departments.

Comment

You’re a P.G County Firefighter? I hear nothing but good things about that area and it’s fire departments.
                LMAO, who have you been talking to!? hehe just kiddin Harve. We've all had our fun in the fire belt. Height should make no matter if you keep yourself in good shape. Just be ready to get the really crappy jobs that require the small guy on the crew going into a tight spot!
                Matt G.
                Battalion Chief
                IACOJ-Member
                FTM-PTB

Comment

You would be a good engine man as you would never bump your head. The big tall guy make the truck companies. MOST HAVE SCARS ON THEIR KNUCKLES!!!

Try doing a lot of pull ups, that may stretch you some.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
                    LMAO, who have you been talking to!? hehe just kiddin Harve. We've all had our fun in the fire belt. Height should make no matter if you keep yourself in good shape. Just be ready to get the really crappy jobs that require the small guy on the crew going into a tight spot!
                    You’re from PA were you at the fire expo in upper dublin?

Comment

Depends...

Can you walk in high heels and/or tease your hair to appear taller?

If yes to both then you'll be fine.
                      Last edited by ChiefKN; 10-04-2010, 12:27 AM.
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

You’re from PA were you at the fire expo in upper dublin?
                        Nope, not I. Haven't been one to years.
                        Matt G.
                        Battalion Chief
                        IACOJ-Member
                        FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                          Depends...

Can you walk in high heals and/or tease your hair to appear taller?

If yes to both then you'll be fine.
                          I’m not here to fulfill your fantasies.

Comment

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAhahahaha, score one for the probie....
                            Matt G.
                            Battalion Chief
                            IACOJ-Member
                            FTM-PTB

Comment

I bet he can too!!!
                              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)