Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class A uniforms to non firefighter weddings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class A uniforms to non firefighter weddings...

This was the question asked to me by one of my firefighters....and well....I was a little stumped. I gave him permission to wear it this time and told him I would ponder the idea for future weddings. Everything I've read says it can and should be allowed. It shows respect and pride. How do you all feel about this topic.

"Wearing class A uniforms to a non-firefighter wedding"

Most guys I know don't even wear Class As to firefighter weddings from their own job.

To me, doing it at a non-FF wedding just screams "PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEE!!!!"

Comment

Sounds like you have a hardcore whacker on your hands.
      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by emt161 View Post
        Most guys I know don't even wear Class As to firefighter weddings from their own job.

Yes. And I'm sure the bride won't mind at all if everyone pays more attention to the uniforn than her in her expensive dress...

Comment

Originally posted by emt161 View Post

Yup. He's either desperate for attention or compensating for a small wee-wee.
          "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I agree with the others, it sounds like a "look at me" situation to wear it to a non-FD wedding. Doesn't make sense.
            Career Fire Captain
            Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Did he indicate if he was asked to wear the uniform?.......if not, I sure as heck wouldn't wear one!

Comment

Chief bad precedence on this. No one wears a fire department uniform to a wedding, not even a groom. I have to be honest and say in all the years I've been doing this and seen members get married, I have never seen a member wear their uniform to a wedding.

Maybe a clean pair of bib overalls and a clean white shirt maybe...

I am supposing this member didn't have a suit to wear to this event?
                Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                  Chief bad precedence on this. No one wears a fire department uniform to a wedding, not even a groom. I have to be honest and say in all the years I've been doing this and seen members get married, I have never seen a member wear their uniform to a wedding.
                  Since I gather that the issue here is that wearing a Class A is only done with the Chief's permission in the original poster's department. If that's the case, I don't see any reason why the Chief shouldn't permit it despite the fact that it strikes me as damned odd to want to wear a Class A to a wedding. Granted, I've seen a few military uniforms at weddings but never a FD uniform.

The only warning sign that comes to my mind is alcohol. What policies are in place about drinking in uniform or just about how a firefighter represents the department when in uniform?
                  "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                  sigpic
                  The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Personally, I would wear a nice civilian suit.

Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
                    The only warning sign that comes to my mind is alcohol. What policies are in place about drinking in uniform or just about how a firefighter represents the department when in uniform?
                    That is exactly what I was thinking! You're always representing your dept and profession, so if he knows he's going to get a little loose, better to not wear it.

Comment

i failed to mention in my original post that the member asked to wear the class A to the ceremony only, he stated he knew he would be drinking and had no intentions on wearing it to the reception (as our policy would prohibit). I have talked to him again and we read your posts....got a chuckle out of some of them. he stated that two of his cousins were wearing their class A's from the military (Marines and Army) and they had brought the idea up to him. his other cousin (the bride) thought it would make a cool picture after the wedding ceremony....herself and her 3 cousins that were all dressed up in class their class A's. After reading what other firefighters thought of the idea he has opted out of wearing it, stating the last thing he wants to do is take attention away from the bride and groom. i told him the decision was his and even after reading your comments i still approved.

on a side note i have heard of many grooms wearing a class A to their own wedding....
                      Last edited by chiefrude1; 07-19-2010, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chiefrude1 View Post
                        i failed to mention in my original post that the member asked to wear the class A to the ceremony only, he stated he knew he would be drinking and had no intentions on wearing it to the reception (as our policy would prohibit). I have talked to him again and we read your posts....got a chuckle out of some of them. he stated that two of his cousins were wearing their class A's from the military (Marines and Army) and they had brought the idea up to him. his other cousin (the bride) thought it would make a cool picture after the wedding ceremony....herself and her 3 cousins that were all dressed up in class their class A's. After reading what other firefighters thought of the idea he has opted out of wearing it, stating the last thing he wants to do is take attention away from the bride and groom. i told him the decision was his and even after reading your comments i still approved.
                        on a side note i have heard of many grooms wearing a class A to their own wedding....
                        Now You Tell Us!! Well, if the bride thinks it's good and would want a family photo of everyone in uniform I change my opinion. Actually, it could be a nice pic. But he has the right idea to change before the reception.

Comment

Originally posted by len1582 View Post
                          Now You Tell Us!! Well, if the bride thinks it's good and would want a family photo of everyone in uniform I change my opinion. Actually, it could be a nice pic. But he has the right idea to change before the reception.
                          I was just informed of that detail today

Comment

Originally posted by chiefrude1 View Post
                            When I got re-married a few months ago, I wore my Class A. As did my best man (a state troooper), and both groomsmen (one is a county police officer and the other is a fire chief). Made for some pretty neat photos, and my wife was all about it.

As you'd expect, the photographer said she'd never seen a wedding quite like it.
                            Career Fire Captain
                            Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                              See post above.
                              Career Fire Captain
                              Volunteer Chief Officer

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X