Oil is stopped!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil is stopped!

I just watched them drop this new contraption on top of the well's blow out preventer. It took all of 10 seconds and there isn't a drop of oil coming out into the ocean anymore!

All the feeds can be seen here. http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/bp-...spill-cam.html

I've been sitting here watching these live feeds for the last 2 hours waiting for them to do this so i could see it happen live. Never in a million years did I think they'd actually make it work, given the three months of failure leading up to this now. I'm amazed.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

That would be some great news. Hope the testing comes back good tomorrow
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

It took 84 days to stop this. What a crock of horse hockey.
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
        It took 84 days to stop this. What a crock of horse hockey.
        Have you ever tried to plug the end of a hose while the water is coming out? Not an easy task. Now try to do the same thing on an 18 inch pipe a mile under the ocean. It isn't like there is a shut off valve.

What was a crock was not allowing BP to use all available resources to contain the spill and mitigate the damages.

Comment

nmfire.... your link is dead.

Otherwise, it is still leaking......

Originally posted by BP
          For now, some oil continues to gush from the upper section of the new cap. That was expected and will continue until BP begins "well integrity tests" Tuesday, BP said. The process could take anywhere from six hours to two days.

If the new cap does not completely contain oil from the crippled well, some may have to be brought to the surface to waiting containment ships. But under a worst-case scenario, there could be new damage to blowout preventer.

BP said in a statement Monday night that, "It is expected, although cannot be assured, that no oil will be released to the ocean for the duration of the test. This will not however be an indication that flow from the well bore has been permanently stopped."
          BP's live feed: http://www.bp.com/sectionbodycopy.do...tentId=7063636

I honestly can't say for sure if the vid showing the leak is from the same problem child or not. But it is live, and time showing what I have for time. You need to page down to see it.

FM1
          I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
          "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

http://bp.concerts.com/gom/sealingca...ells070910.htm

Interesting video, about 14 mins long.

FM1

"Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Yeah its coming out of the top of the new device. Figures. I might have known it was too good to be true. I think this will be the win though, once they shut that device down I think we'll be in good shape.
              Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                nmfire.... your link is dead.

Otherwise, it is still leaking......

BP's live feed: http://www.bp.com/sectionbodycopy.do...tentId=7063636

I honestly can't say for sure if the vid showing the leak is from the same problem child or not. But it is live, and time showing what I have for time. You need to page down to see it.

FM1
                My understanding is that they have to close the new cap very slowly in order to make sure the well pipes can handle the pressure as it builds up. The worse-case scenario would be if they closed the cap suddenly and the pressure caused a failure somewhere else in the system.
                So you call this your free country
                Tell me why it costs so much to live
                -3dd

Comment

If our fearless leader had taken the help offered to him TWO DAYS after this happened, we wouldn't be in this boat THREE MONTHS later.
                  "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
                    If our fearless leader had taken the help offered to him TWO DAYS after this happened, we wouldn't be in this boat THREE MONTHS later.
                    And what a slippery boat it is...
                    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
                      My understanding is that they have to close the new cap very slowly in order to make sure the well pipes can handle the pressure as it builds up. The worse-case scenario would be if they closed the cap suddenly and the pressure caused a failure somewhere else in the system.
                      If anyone doesn't understand what suddenly closing off a valve will do with the pressure,here is a two word analogy:water hammer.
                      Cause one on your rig and see what the engineer calls you.(They do tend to be protective of the rig's pumps,especially if they drove it straight from the factory on delivery)
                      In this case,it can and probably will blow the well out AGAIN and cause people who don't know a dang thing about oil wells in deepwater to restart their rants about how it shouldn't have been drilled there in the first place,like that will do anything to stop the spill.

Comment

Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
                        Agreed. This administration botched this right from the very beginning. Obama's poll numbers reflect that as well as only 44% approve of the job the president is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by nmfire
                          Yeah its coming out of the top of the new device. Figures. I might have known it was too good to be true. I think this will be the win though, once they shut that device down I think we'll be in good shape.
                          Honestly, I am with you. I really do hope this works out as planned.

F**k the finger pointing, lets get this closed off, and under control.

FM1

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                            Honestly, I am with you. I really do hope this works out as planned.

F**k the finger pointing, lets get this closed off, and under control.

FM1
                            Exactly!!! The government response on this has been to point fingers and obstruct progress. Every available resource should have been brought in on day two to stop the leak and to contain the spill.

Comment

Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                              Exactly!!! The government response on this has been to point fingers and obstruct progress. Every available resource should have been brought in on day two to stop the leak and to contain the spill.
                              That mean ol' guv'mint.
                              I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X