Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wonder why our we can't get good leaders in the U.S. Government?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wonder why our we can't get good leaders in the U.S. Government?

    TRENDING: Just how much can you make at the White House?
    (CNN) – Working at the White House includes long days, work on the weekends, and a demanding, high profile boss.

    But just how good's the pay at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.?

    According to a salary list released Thursday, 23 White House staffers make $172,000, while two "detailees" – Michael Harsh and Timothy Love – top the list at nearly $180,000. "Detailees" are employees from other government offices who have been assigned to work at the White House for a period of time.

    The majority of President Obama's senior aides – including Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, and adviser David Axelrod make $172,000 a year – the same salary they made last year because the president ordered a freeze of top-level White House salaries.

    But the majority of staffers make considerably less, with the average salary is $82,700 a year, while the median employee salary is $66,000. The lowest full time salary is just under $38,000 a year.

    Obama himself earns $400,000.

    In all, the White House employs 469 staff members for a total payroll of nearly $40 million.
    $40 million in total Salary with the top executive of the largest corporation in America making $400,000. All the good talent goes into private industry where salaries are easily 10 times and often 1,000 times this amount. And to make it even better there are far less hassles and far less scrutiny in private industry. We have the worse minds in the country running the country.

    And for the knuckleheads who think with D's and R's instead of logic this applies unilaterally across all politicians.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
    TRENDING: Just how much can you make at the White House?


    $40 million in total Salary with the top executive of the largest corporation in America making $400,000. All the good talent goes into private industry where salaries are easily 10 times and often 1,000 times this amount. And to make it even better there are far less hassles and far less scrutiny in private industry. We have the worse minds in the country running the country.

    And for the knuckleheads who think with D's and R's instead of logic this applies unilaterally across all politicians.
    You are right. ALL government employees must be paid more money to compete with private industry.

    I would start with Teachers.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
      You are right. ALL government employees must be paid more money to compete with private industry.

      I would start with Teachers.
      Chief, I have to slightly disagree with you regarding teachers. Considering the 2.5 months off in the Summer, a week of in February, a week off in April, and the numerous long weekends due to holidays, and another week off between Christmas and New Years......Most are fairly well compensated when you calculate out the hours worked.

      I know that this is a politically incorrect thing to say. Here in Massachusetts, by law, they will teach for 180 days (plus 5 "snow" days.) Most also get 10-15 sick days to take per year.

      When compared to the number of days worked by the Monday-Friday crowd they are pretty well compensated. Especially considering that they receive pretty good benefits, and a retirement pension.

      I know, I know, they put in hours after the normal school day to prepare and the like, however so don't a lot of other folks in private industry. Usually they are compensated well compared to the incomes of most families in the community in which they work.

      It's a tough job. An admirable job. However, I usually have to disagree that teachers are not well compensated for the work that they do. Teaching is definitely one of those professions that you do because you love it, and not necessarily because of the pay. I also understand that there are a some places that they are not paid as well as others, but by and large they are paid well.
      "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

      The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

      "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

      "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

      www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DaSharkie View Post
        Chief, I have to slightly disagree with you regarding teachers. Considering the 2.5 months off in the Summer, a week of in February, a week off in April, and the numerous long weekends due to holidays, and another week off between Christmas and New Years......Most are fairly well compensated when you calculate out the hours worked
        My comment was tongue in cheek... The joker I responded to goes on and on about how government workers are overpaid and then posts that we'll never get good talent because the pay is low.

        Just pointing out another inconsistency of his.

        Although, there aren't many jobs where a college graduate starts out making 40k/year (when annualized, to eliminate having the summers off).
        I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

        "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

        "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
          My comment was tongue in cheek... The joker I responded to goes on and on about how government workers are overpaid and then posts that we'll never get good talent because the pay is low.

          Just pointing out another inconsistency of his.

          Although, there aren't many jobs where a college graduate starts out making 40k/year (when annualized, to eliminate having the summers off).
          Well done.
          They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

          I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
            My comment was tongue in cheek... The joker I responded to goes on and on about how government workers are overpaid and then posts that we'll never get good talent because the pay is low.

            Just pointing out another inconsistency of his.

            Although, there aren't many jobs where a college graduate starts out making 40k/year (when annualized, to eliminate having the summers off).
            Actually, the government system is whacked and is more socialist in nature. The lower rungs of the ladder get overpaid while the upper rungs are underpaid.

            As for teachers they are paid extremely well if not overpaid. Teachers work 1440 hours a year, based on an 8 hour day. The average person on the street works 2080 hours a year. However, on a few occasions teachers will put in extra hours, especially the new ones. In our area, the medium income is around $40,000. We have teachers making over $100,000. One such teacher is an art teacher making $107,000!!!!! WTF!!! That is highway robbery.

            Not all government workers are overpaid. Some make exactly what the Private counter parts make. The problem with government employees is that 25% of them put in a full day and do a really good job. 50% put in 5 hours of work for 8 hours of pay and do so-so. Then there is the bottom 25% who are just useless and add nothing. On this front, the government has no incentive to increase productivity or efficiency, so they tolerate lax behavior. And I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but from what have witnessed first hand at both the federal and stale level we aren't getting our monies worth.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by scfire86 View Post
              Well done.
              Yes you are...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                Not all government workers are overpaid. Some make exactly what the Private counter parts make. The problem with government employees is that 25% of them put in a full day and do a really good job. 50% put in 5 hours of work for 8 hours of pay and do so-so. Then there is the bottom 25% who are just useless and add nothing. On this front, the government has no incentive to increase productivity or efficiency, so they tolerate lax behavior. And I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but from what have witnessed first hand at both the federal and stale level we aren't getting our monies worth.
                Could you show us your source for this statement? More than likely it is your usual bovine scatology.

                Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                Yes you are...
                That must be why you follow me around touting nonsense.
                They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

                I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                  As for teachers they are paid extremely well if not overpaid. Teachers work 1440 hours a year, based on an 8 hour day. The average person on the street works 2080 hours a year. However, on a few occasions teachers will put in extra hours, especially the new ones. In our area, the medium income is around $40,000. We have teachers making over $100,000. One such teacher is an art teacher making $107,000!!!!! WTF!!! That is highway robbery.
                  There are some inconsistencies in teacher pay, no doubt. People like you always point to the very extremes and proclaim that ALL teachers are overpaid.

                  My wife who had a double major, became a teacher and started at 36K. As you said, they don't work a full year, but work 9.5/12 months. Oh, and she worked in a very nice suburban district, where the pay was "good".

                  So, what does that 36k amount to if she did work 12 months. If you extrapolate that it's a whopping 45k for someone who not only had a double major in college, but then went on to become certified as a professional teacher. Don't forget to deduct the 500 or so dollars she would spend every year out of pocket on supplies and stuff (saw it first hand).

                  I can assure you that there are far more teachers making <50k then there are more then >50k. You're a google expert, research that yourself.

                  Worst Paying College Degrees:

                  College Degrees Starting Salary Mid-career median salary

                  1.Social Work $33,400 $41,600
                  2.Elementary Education $33,000 $42,400
                  3.Theology $34,800 $51,500
                  4.Music $34,000 $52,000
                  5.Spanish $35,600 $52,600
                  6.Horticulture $37,200 $53,400
                  7.Education $36,200 $54,100
                  8.Hospitality/Tourism $37,000 $54,300
                  9.Fine Arts $35,800 $56,300
                  10.Drama $35,600 $56,600

                  http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-mo...by-salary/577/

                  Not all government workers are overpaid. Some make exactly what the Private counter parts make. The problem with government employees is that 25% of them put in a full day and do a really good job. 50% put in 5 hours of work for 8 hours of pay and do so-so. Then there is the bottom 25% who are just useless and add nothing. On this front, the government has no incentive to increase productivity or efficiency, so they tolerate lax behavior. And I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but from what have witnessed first hand at both the federal and stale level we aren't getting our monies worth.
                  That's a whole lot of nothing in that paragraph. A lot of generalizations and non facts.
                  Last edited by ChiefKN; 07-06-2010, 08:56 AM.
                  I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

                  "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

                  "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                    My comment was tongue in cheek... The joker I responded to goes on and on about how government workers are overpaid and then posts that we'll never get good talent because the pay is low.

                    Just pointing out another inconsistency of his.

                    Although, there aren't many jobs where a college graduate starts out making 40k/year (when annualized, to eliminate having the summers off).
                    Understood. One of the easy misunderstandings in the one-dimentionality of the internet communication world.
                    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

                    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

                    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

                    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

                    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                      However, on a few occasions teachers will put in extra hours, especially the new ones. In our area, the medium income is around $40,000.
                      You find this excessive, for a 4 to 6 year degree with professional certifications?

                      Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                      We have teachers making over $100,000. One such teacher is an art teacher making $107,000!!!!! WTF!!! That is highway robbery.
                      Link please, or are these just more numbers you have pulled from thin air?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                        In our area, the medium income is around $40,000. We have teachers making over $100,000. One such teacher is an art teacher making $107,000!!!!! WTF!!! That is highway robbery.
                        How do you recommend a teacher's specialty affect their pay? Should a science teacher earn more then an art teacher? How about Music? History?

                        The only thing I know is that every time you post your math teacher hangs her head in shame..
                        So you call this your free country
                        Tell me why it costs so much to live
                        -3dd

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
                          The only thing I know is that every time you post your math teacher hangs her head in shame..
                          As does the Psych teacher that taught him logic. Which I'm believe didn't happen.
                          They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

                          I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                            There are some inconsistencies in teacher pay, no doubt. People like you always point to the very extremes and proclaim that ALL teachers are overpaid.

                            My wife who had a double major, became a teacher and started at 36K. As you said, they don't work a full year, but work 9.5/12 months. Oh, and she worked in a very nice suburban district, where the pay was "good".

                            So, what does that 36k amount to if she did work 12 months. If you extrapolate that it's a whopping 45k for someone who not only had a double major in college, but then went on to become certified as a professional teacher. Don't forget to deduct the 500 or so dollars she would spend every year out of pocket on supplies and stuff (saw it first hand).

                            I can assure you that there are far more teachers making <50k then there are more then >50k. You're a google expert, research that yourself.

                            Worst Paying College Degrees:

                            College Degrees Starting Salary Mid-career median salary

                            1.Social Work $33,400 $41,600
                            2.Elementary Education $33,000 $42,400
                            3.Theology $34,800 $51,500
                            4.Music $34,000 $52,000
                            5.Spanish $35,600 $52,600
                            6.Horticulture $37,200 $53,400
                            7.Education $36,200 $54,100
                            8.Hospitality/Tourism $37,000 $54,300
                            9.Fine Arts $35,800 $56,300
                            10.Drama $35,600 $56,600

                            http://moneywatch.bnet.com/saving-mo...by-salary/577/



                            That's a whole lot of nothing in that paragraph. A lot of generalizations and non facts.

                            Of course that is the flip side. Starting salaries. Somewhere the notion has been made that as each year passes the teachers are more valuable. So they start out low and rise to normal and then go high. I agree starting salaries are low. But those starting salaries don't paint the entire picture. They also need to add in the benefits and the pension plan.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Acklan View Post
                              You find this excessive, for a 4 to 6 year degree with professional certifications?

                              Good lord man. Read twice then comment. The statement is the medium income in the area is $40,000. This includes all of the people, not just those with degrees.
                              Link please, or are these just more numbers you have pulled from thin air?
                              SeeThroughNY

                              You can go onto this site and get the salary of any public employee in NYS.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X