Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

FLASH-Oil Spill stopped

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy Fix..........

Originally posted by jam24u View Post
    Way to go PK!

Enact a Tax on "Unprocessed Oil that is not contained within a Pipe or Tank".......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

The June 14 issue of Waterways Journal has an item about a company called SkimOil that is ramping up production of their oil skimmers for use in Louisiana,Alabama and Florida.The units are built for calmer waters so they can't be used in the Gulf for picking up the oil.The article didn't say if they were trying to design one that could handle open waters.
      Basically,they suck up the oily water,seperate the two and dump the water overboard while retaining the oil.
      And Kevin Costner thinks that he invented the process.
      Doncha just hate instant experts?I do and I know of a few incidents where I were one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
        How would B/P handle a coffee spill?

http://www.allproudamericans.com/how...fee-spill.html
        OK that was just plain funny LOL.
        September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
        IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
        Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson View Post
          The June 14 issue of Waterways Journal has an item about a company called SkimOil that is ramping up production of their oil skimmers for use in Louisiana,Alabama and Florida.The units are built for calmer waters so they can't be used in the Gulf for picking up the oil.The article didn't say if they were trying to design one that could handle open waters.
          Basically,they suck up the oily water,seperate the two and dump the water overboard while retaining the oil.
          And Kevin Costner thinks that he invented the process.
          Doncha just hate instant experts?I do and I know of a few incidents where I were one.
          What is really sad is that it took 8 years to put a man on the moon. 21 years after the Exxon Valdez crashed we still can't respond to an oil spill.

Comment

Check out the post in the "News Center" on oil spill solutions for a related post.
            There is clean up progress being made.It's just that while they are sucking up oil,building barriers,raking the beaches and kissing POTUS' axe,there's more crude oil emerging from the seafloor.
            Kinda like when you're spraying water on the A side of a structure but there is still fire showing on the B and C sides.It doesn't mean that you aren't doing anything but rather,your efforts haven't affected those parts of the fire yet.And you don't like it when reporters ask why the fire isn't out yet,like there was a specific scehdule that was promulgated.it's just that you guys aren't following it.
            The last oil spill I worked on was at Paducah Ky in 1998 when a night shift tankerman managed to pay more attention to the phone call in the office with his girlfriend than he was to loading the fuel flat for the day's ops.
            My first day on the job as a pilot/tankerman and we had to drag the oil booms off the dock which is a lot easier than restowing them.We hooked the end of the boom to the grocery boat and ran it around both fuel flat and storage barge to contain the oil.After the Coast Guard determined how much had been spilled(500 gallons of No.2 Diesel) and told us we could let it go to disperse in the Ohio River,we began taking up the booms.Oil covered booms are much worse to handle than putting soot/mud/whateverthef***thatwas covered LDH back on the rig.
            I was standing behind the guy who'd had the spill pulling the boom but he never spoke a word to me and it was his "Friday" so we didn't meet until he came back from his time off 5 days later.
            His reasoning was "I had the spill last week and there's a new guy already hired.I'll get him fired before I go" and that's eventually what happened.But that's another story.
            The thing is,small or large oil spills are messy and a lot of work has to be done,diverting manpower and resources from other jobs and it it takes time to do it.

Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
            What is really sad is that it took 8 years to put a man on the moon. 21 years after the Exxon Valdez crashed we still can't respond to an oil spill.

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson View Post
              Check out the post in the "News Center" on oil spill solutions for a related post.
              There is clean up progress being made.It's just that while they are sucking up oil,building barriers,raking the beaches and kissing POTUS' axe,there's more crude oil emerging from the seafloor.
              Kinda like when you're spraying water on the A side of a structure but there is still fire showing on the B and C sides.It doesn't mean that you aren't doing anything but rather,your efforts haven't affected those parts of the fire yet.And you don't like it when reporters ask why the fire isn't out yet,like there was a specific scehdule that was promulgated.it's just that you guys aren't following it.
              The last oil spill I worked on was at Paducah Ky in 1998 when a night shift tankerman managed to pay more attention to the phone call in the office with his girlfriend than he was to loading the fuel flat for the day's ops.
              My first day on the job as a pilot/tankerman and we had to drag the oil booms off the dock which is a lot easier than restowing them.We hooked the end of the boom to the grocery boat and ran it around both fuel flat and storage barge to contain the oil.After the Coast Guard determined how much had been spilled(500 gallons of No.2 Diesel) and told us we could let it go to disperse in the Ohio River,we began taking up the booms.Oil covered booms are much worse to handle than putting soot/mud/whateverthef***thatwas covered LDH back on the rig.
              I was standing behind the guy who'd had the spill pulling the boom but he never spoke a word to me and it was his "Friday" so we didn't meet until he came back from his time off 5 days later.
              His reasoning was "I had the spill last week and there's a new guy already hired.I'll get him fired before I go" and that's eventually what happened.But that's another story.
              The thing is,small or large oil spills are messy and a lot of work has to be done,diverting manpower and resources from other jobs and it it takes time to do it.
              Here is something a bit interesting Kevin Costner's Oil Cleanup Machines on the Way
              Three centrifugal oil-water separating machines manufactured by Kevin Costner's company are on their way to the Gulf of Mexico, where they'll be deployed over the next 60 days..

Energy giant BP has purchased 32 of the machines from the Costner's Ocean Therapy Solutions to fight the Gulf oil spill. Costner said the machines can separate oil from water without the use of chemical agents.

"I didn't come here to save the day," he said at a news conference in Port Fourchon, La. "I have come to participate."
              My question. Why isn't the Government buying them? Like you have pointed out. The government cleans up oil spills on the land, why not in federal waters? The even better question is why did our government give up on these machines in 1995 under Bill Clinton. You would think a liberal such as himself would be concerned for the environment. It is just sad that our elected leaders didn't have the foresight and intelligence to prepare for another oil spill. And you can believe me when I tell you this won't be the last either.

They are getting these things 60 days late. If Obama had a clue he would have ordered these 2 months ago. The entire federal response has been a non-response. They don't even have a plan. What if this were a real emergency?

Comment

You may or may not discount the source but I heard on the local FOX News station that the government actually WAS buying Costner's invention(I'll give him props.He's trying)for use as soon as they can be built.
                It IS a real emergency.It's just that the government owned equipment is kept elsewhere.The Navy has already,as of the 7 June Waterways Journal,deployed almost its entire inventory of pollution booms and near shore skimmers from Virginia and California naval warehouses.
                With the amount spilling because they can't just reach down and turn the valves or use a Sawzall to cut off the broken parts before installing new valves,it's just going to take time.
                Hayull,I got people wondering why I'm not down there when I applied for work doing spill cleanup about 3 weeks ago.It just takes time.

Originally posted by ScareCrow57 View Post
                Here is something a bit interesting Kevin Costner's Oil Cleanup Machines on the Way

My question. Why isn't the Government buying them? Like you have pointed out. The government cleans up oil spills on the land, why not in federal waters? The even better question is why did our government give up on these machines in 1995 under Bill Clinton. You would think a liberal such as himself would be concerned for the environment. It is just sad that our elected leaders didn't have the foresight and intelligence to prepare for another oil spill. And you can believe me when I tell you this won't be the last either.

They are getting these things 60 days late. If Obama had a clue he would have ordered these 2 months ago. The entire federal response has been a non-response. They don't even have a plan. What if this were a real emergency?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X