Royal Navy Taking Up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding insult to injury

You Brits are having a time of it, so it seems. First the Navy starts downsizing, then they take your stepladders away, and now, if your on the ambulance in Scotland, you need to put in for hazard pay.

Seriously, since there was little followup to the article, do they keep such detailed statistics (assaults on EMS providers) regularly, and is it also recorded in England and Wales? I can't imagine what the numbers would be here in the U.S. If I had a dollar for each time I got swung at, spit at, pushed, ......
    "If you put the fire out right in the first place, you won't have to jump out the window."
    Andy Fredericks,
    FDNY E.48, SQ.18
    Alexandria, VA F.D.

Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDude View Post
      This Country is F*****g finished... The Labour Government, most of whom incidentally are Scottish are bringing about a slow and painful for the UK by handing over more and more to the 'Europeans' based on their centuries old hate for the English.

My fathers Generation fought in vain, I have long since chucked the towel in and when my time in this job is done. My family and I will be joining many of my fellow Countrymen in The US, Australia, NZ or Canada.
      Steve...whatever happened to the thought of doing away with the Black Watch and blending all of the Scottish regiments into one Highland unit? I know the BW were in Iraq for awhile, but I've lost touch with the issue since the deployment.

It would be a damned shame to lose all that history as individual regiments.
      Last edited by Steamer; 01-19-2007, 11:41 AM.
      Steve Gallagher
      IACOJ BOT
      ----------------------------
      "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Steamer View Post
        Steve...whatever happened to the thought of doing away with the Black Watch and blending all of the Scottish regiments into one Highland unit? I know the BW were in Iraq for awhile, but I've lost touch with the issue since the deployment.

Clutches at chest as there is really nothing to say about this one.If any history is lost,it cannot be regained no matter how people wail ,gnash their teeth and pull their hair.

Comment

Not to steal Steve's thunder, but this article mentions not only that the merger occurred, but they are sharing kilts!

Kilt shortage for Scottish soldiers
          Shortage means 1 for every 15 soldiers due to contract snafu with supplier
          The Associated Press
          Updated: 5:54 p.m. ET Dec 18, 2006
          LONDON - Great Scot! A shortage of ceremonial kilts could leave thousands of soldiers without a stitch of plaid to wear as they parade to the skirl of the bagpipes.

Military officials said Monday that more than 5,000 Scottish soldiers are having to share their kilts because defense chiefs have not finalized a contract to buy enough of the garments to go around.

The men, who face regular tours of duty in south Iraq and Afghanistan, have just 320 kilts, or one for every 15 soldiers.

Combat troops wore the traditional Highland garb in battle as late as World War I, but now the plaid kilts are used in ceremonial uniform.

New kilts are needed for all Scottish soldiers following the August 2006 merger of centuries-old regiments into a single Royal Regiment of Scotland.

“A planned deployment of kilts will be agreed with the Royal Regiment of Scotland on a roll-out basis with ... the full program being completed by January 2008,” a Ministry of Defense spokesman said, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with government policy.

The Ministry of Defense has refused to say who has won the contract to supply the kilts; in the meantime, soldiers will have to share.

The 320 kilts provided so far have been supplied by Argyll Bagpipes and Kilts on a trial basis. The full contract is worth up to $1.95 million, taking two years to complete and will involve 15,000 yards of fabric.

“The kilt is psychologically important for the identity of Scottish soldiers,” said Lt. Col. Willy Macnair, who served in the defunct Queen’s Own Highlander regiment. “It may mean that some soldiers in this (new) regiment, by the time they leave, may never have worn it.”

Scottish lawmakers and veterans had opposed the merger of the traditional regiments, which saw action in both world wars and the Anglo-Boer War in South Africa.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
          URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16271160/

Comment

Sharing kilts?!

That's just wrong...so very, very wrong. I wonder what tartan they're using.
            Steve Gallagher
            IACOJ BOT
            ----------------------------
            "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Comment

Sharing kilts?!

That's just wrong...so very, very wrong. I wonder what tartan they're using.

Paisley,maybe?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X