Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open cabs.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Open cabs.

    Does anyone know why were the old fire apparatus built with open cabs?

  • #2
    Because in warmer climates it wasn't necessary to have a fully enclosed heated cab and it was a good way to save money and weight by doing without a roof, they were not as safety conscious as we are today and didn't worry about firefighter safety the way we do today.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by eddy297 View Post
      Does anyone know why were the old fire apparatus built with open cabs?
      I think most of your questions can be answered by taking a macro view of the history of fire appratus, Cities views on firemen, their safety and the costs associated with providing fire protection, all over 200 years.

      We began with hand pulled carts, then came horse power...eventually the men other than those operating the rigs were allowed to ride the backstep or the running boards on the ladders. It wasn't all that long ago that we stopped riding on the outside of the rigs.

      The cities gradually over time provided more and more protection to the men....usually at a Unions insistance. And as more technology was placed into the rigs and as Civil unrest gripped many cities in the late 60s and Early 70s...the men again insisted on having better protection from flying projectiles (Moltov, cocktails,bricks and bottles)

      And now we find ourselves where we are today.

      FTM-PTB

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
        I think most of your questions can be answered by taking a macro view of the history of fire appratus, Cities views on firemen, their safety and the costs associated with providing fire protection, all over 200 years.

        We began with hand pulled carts, then came horse power...eventually the men other than those operating the rigs were allowed to ride the backstep or the running boards on the ladders. It wasn't all that long ago that we stopped riding on the outside of the rigs.

        The cities gradually over time provided more and more protection to the men....usually at a Unions insistance. And as more technology was placed into the rigs and as Civil unrest gripped many cities in the late 60s and Early 70s...the men again insisted on having better protection from flying projectiles (Moltov, cocktails,bricks and bottles)

        And now we find ourselves where we are today.

        FTM-PTB
        You could have just said "Because they were cheaper"
        Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

        Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

        ** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mzanghetti View Post
          Because in warmer climates it wasn't necessary to have a fully enclosed heated cab and it was a good way to save money and weight by doing without a roof, they were not as safety conscious as we are today and didn't worry about firefighter safety the way we do today.
          I'm from Maine and I wish they would have thought of that when they got our engine 2! It's an '89 Pierce with two seats out back and let me tell you, when it's 15 degrees and you're rolling down the road you get cold quick! Especially your hands!

          And the weight reduction doesn't make much sense either, considering the engine in the sucker is so small it goes 0-60 somewhere between 30sec and 1 min. hahahaaaa it depends on if its downhill or not.

          Comment


          • #6
            Back in the day, open cab apparatus were designed so that the driver and truck captain could see all around the apparatus while enroute and upon arrival. Size up was easier with open cabs. Also, doors at that time were an option as well as seatbelts. The lack of doors and seatbelts allowed the crew to swiftly exit the apparatus and begin operations.

            Some mentioned that cost was a factor. That is correct. If you spec out a truck today, ask what it would cost to have the rear seats open as opposed to a completely closed cab. You'llfind that the costs can range in the ten's of tousands for a simple modification.

            Comment


            • #7
              As one can see...wherever you rode is where you rode...backstep...turntable.

              FTM-PTB

              The Bronx is Burning

              Comment


              • #8
                I know it is a little off topic, but this reminds me of riding the tailboard. Sure do miss it. Seated and belted is for our own good, but it ain't as much fun.

                Comment

                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                Collapse

                Upper 300x250

                Collapse

                Taboola

                Collapse

                Leader

                Collapse
                Working...
                X