Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Do you know what a "Fire Buff" is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is my third post on this thread but it is fun rubbing elbows with fellow firebuffs!
    My Dad and I went to a Fire Engine Muster about a year ago in my hometown. My Dad used to be a volunteer in my hometown, shortly before I was born. The department had both paid guys and vollies at that time.
    The volunteer guys had a Crown Firecoach. He and the others used this engine a lot. Around the time he went to another department, they sold it to a nearby county station, which retired it a few years ago.
    We went to check out this muster and found the Crown sitting amongst the others. A local firefighter had bought it and is returning it to its original condition. My Dad was sure glad to see that it had not been scrapped. We got pictures of the two of us sitting in the cab. Few times have I seen him THAT happy. He told me the exact steps for pumping water and driving the truck. After twenty something years, he still remembered it like he did it yesterday.
    That was a very cool day!
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

Comment

Sounds Like You Really Enjoyed That Day
      Shane
      Do not fear to step into the unknown...for where there is risk, there is also reward.

Comment

It's not just a hobby, it's a way of life!

Comment

Absolutely a fire buff here!! You gotta love it to do it!
          A proud member of the Highlands Firefighters, Local 1505.<br />The opinions and information provided are my own and do not reflect the views of my Department or Local 1505.

Comment

You are all definitely Fire Buffs, and who'd a guessed on a site titled "Firehouse.com" huh? I started firefighting when I was 16 and I joined my neighborhood volunteer dept. in Houston, but the fire buff in me goes way back. My grandfather was a firefigher in NJ long ago(he responded to the crash of the Hindenberg). I knew I was truly obsessed when my friends from my childhood(not firefighters) said that they were going to limit my talking about firefighting. I remember driving to Galveston to go fishing one day and my friend said "Jeb, if you go one hour without talking about firefighting stuff, then at the end of that hour you can talk about it for fifteen minutes, okay?"
            Keep following what you love(who am I kidding huh?) Take it easy friends.
            Jeb

Comment

Originally posted by bke:
              [QB]Everytime I go to a new city or town, the first thing I always look for is the firehouse!

QB]
              I do the same thing. When I go on Vacations I seek out the local Fire Department and try and get a visit in for photographs and to just shoot the breeze with who ever is in the house. ~ I have a few collectibles around the house and in my younger days I used to "Buff Jobs" in my tri-county area. I enjoy being a Volunteer Firefighter and everything it has to offer and I also enjoy visiting other departments from outside of my state. ~ This years Vacation as well as Last Years was to Myrtle Beach, Sc. ~ Although I didn't get the chance to stop into the station that was just around the corner from where I stayed I plan to next year --- Anybody here know anything about The Myrtle Beach Fire Dept. as to how reseptiave they are of vistors and things like that ? I always like to know a bit about a department before I knock on the door
              ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Comment

One of the best things about being a fire-buff is how much firefighters appreciate your visit. While on vacation one year, I visited the Haines City Florida Fire Department and the firefighter on duty was more than happy to give me the grand tour of the apparatus bay, as was the case also in Cape May City, NJ. Yes, firefighters are a unique breed and they don't forget the buffs who support them and look up to them for all that they do for us.
                Just my views of things.
                Stay Safe!
                j6200

Comment

Lights and Sirens only last so long -- but the men and women of the fire service are the reason I get up at two o'clock in the morning to look at yet another burned out building. I race to the fire to make sure that each firefighter has water or gatorade and a snack when they come out of a building.

The art of fighting fires intrigues me -- we were writing about thermal imaging 8 years before our local departments had their first units.

The most important lesson I have learned is not to criticize the chief on the job. No buff ever had to make a decision where a error could mean trapped firefighters.

On the other hand, any buff can see where the politicians risk the life of their citizens by understaffing the department or letting city boundaries affect how many units arrive on scene.

Be careful out there!

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: esavage ]
                  Smoke Detectors Save Lives
                  Batteries save Smoke Detectors

Comment

In response to daysleeper's question about buffs wanting to join a dept, I have been a 'fire buff' since before I can remember and right now I'm working on getting on a department. I'm a female, and have gotten a hard time by a few people, but that just makes me try harder.

Comment

The term "Buff" refers to the old days when persons so admired the local fire service that they would volunteer to polish or "buff" the apparatus just so they could spend time at the station. I'm a firefighter and a buff. I love to put them out and collect memorbilia.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipe&Ladderman View Post
                        You are all definitely Fire Buffs, and who'd a guessed on a site titled "Firehouse.com" huh? I started firefighting when I was 16 and I joined my neighborhood volunteer dept. in Houston, but the fire buff in me goes way back. My grandfather was a firefigher in NJ long ago(he responded to the crash of the Hindenberg). I knew I was truly obsessed when my friends from my childhood(not firefighters) said that they were going to limit my talking about firefighting. I remember driving to Galveston to go fishing one day and my friend said "Jeb, if you go one hour without talking about firefighting stuff, then at the end of that hour you can talk about it for fifteen minutes, okay?"
                        Keep following what you love(who am I kidding huh?) Take it easy friends.
                        Jeb
                        Old Post, but I am the same way. So many of my friends go, "All you ever talk about is the fire house". I go, "All you ever talk about is sports, what's the difference?". To me, the difference is that the Fire Department saves lives and does a lot more interesting stuff than any sports player ever could, so they are a lot more fun to talk about! Fortunately I have a lot of buff friends, in fact, one of my buddies and I are planning a trip to CA to buff the wildland fires in a couple years. Pictures and video.

Stay safe guys!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X