Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

My Grandfathers lost fire badges!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Thats pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• Chicago Fire Patrol
    started a topic My Grandfathers lost fire badges!

My Grandfathers lost fire badges!

My name is Keith Seafield. I am a Lieutenant with the Miami-Dade Fire Department. I just had to share this amazing story of me being reunited with my grandfathers lost fire badges that were issued to him over 80 years ago. Here is the story:
    My Grandfather’s Missing Fire Badges. When the World’s Fair was held in Chicago in 1933 & 1934, they needed a fire department to protect the newly erected buildings and the millions of visitors that were estimated to attend. They used members from the Chicago Fire Patrol to man the Fire Department. My grandfather was selected from the Patrol to be one of two Lieutenants needed.
    The Century of Progress Fire Department had interesting badges and helmet fronts. I have been searching online auctions since 1997 trying to locate these badges, always hoping they were still around after all these years. A set of these Lieutenant badges showed up in an online auction. Each Lieutenant was issued a unique style badge for each year. Since I knew there were only two sets ever made, it was a 50/50 chance that it was my grandfather’s. I contacted the seller and told her about my grandfather, giving her his name, Michael Kinsch, asking if she could pull the badges from the online auction and just sell them to me outright. She emailed me back informing me that she was the consignor and the seller would not end the auction early. Here is her response: “Hi Keith, I really want you to have these badges. I am trying to figure out how to make that happen. Truly, they do not belong to me, but rather to the widow of a respected and well known high ranking firefighter. I really want you to have these badges!”

I was disappointed to say the least. I knew if the auction would run its course, these badges would not be cheap. The last Century of Progress firefighter badge (1 of 38 issued) at auction sold for $900. Due to their rarity, I estimated each of these badges to sell for over a $1000. I know that is a lot of money but there would be two different types of collectors interested in these badges; collectors of the Century of Progress World’s Fair items and collectors of the Century of Progress Fire Department so I knew the bidding would be strong.

Not wanting to give up, I emailed her again asking if she could at least present a cash offer to the seller. She agreed to do it and asked me a question, “Who is Kenneth Kinsch? I responded back that I didn’t know a Kenneth Kinsch but my grandfather was Michael Kinsch.
    Two days later I get this email, “Hi Keith, your Grandfather’s badges are yours! I talked to my client and she has agreed to your offer for the two badges and wants you to have them. I know for a fact these are your grandfather’s and have a story backing it up.”

I couldn’t believe what I was reading. The woman left her phone number and I called her right away. It turns out the badges were in a case hanging in the Chicago Fire Commissioners office for decades. When they moved to a different building somehow the badges ended up in the trash. The widow’s husband took them out of the trash and kept them until his recent death. When the consignor removed them from the case there was a tag on the back which said, “Donated by Kenneth Kinsch.” Kenneth Kinsch, according to my Aunt Rose, was my grandfather’s nephew. So now I had the proof that the badges were definitely my grandfather’s.
    These badges were issued to my grandfather 80 years ago as of February 2013! I still find it hard to believe I was reunited with his long-lost badges after all these years!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1984164Click image for larger version

Name:	c of p truck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1984165
    My grandfather wearing the 1934 style badge stands next to the new ALF rig.
    Last edited by Chicago Fire Patrol; 09-27-2015, 11:39 PM.

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X