Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horni Signal restoration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Horni Signal restoration

    Some time ago I purchased a so called "professionally restored" Horni Signal mechanism/inner box from a guy who bought it at an estate sale that way.

    I have started reversing that so called "professional restoration" which had included sandblasting, electro static repainting using a very heavy amount of super high gloss paint, replacing original machine screws with screws that are too long.
    I started by removing and discarding the numerous brass flat washers used to partially compensate for the excess screw length, and really restoring the two small door rivets that had been drilled out and discarded to dissasemble for that sandblasting/painting. The two rivets had been replaced with smaller round head screws and self threading nuts, they were so loose the door wobbled up and down easily.
    The sand cast brass hinges and screw heads were also polished.

    The coils on the mechanism may be ruined due to all the OIL someone soaked the mechanism with, they used so much oil there are still a couple of drips, the mechanism itself is all oily, and the whole thing reeks of oil.
    The local bell inside shows obvious signs of having had a mechanical tool used on it to remove the nickel plating to shine the brass base metal. There are scores and scratches in the metal from this "restoration" almost as though sandpaper or a wire wheel on a grinder was used, I have not decided how to deal with that just yet.

    To begin with, this is what one of these boxes should normally look like as-found condition:



    under the red arrow, all of the hinge screws had flat washers under them, shown removed in the photo back to the correct assembly.
    The blue arrow points to the handle which originally had a tapered steel pin in it, this was removed and replaced with a cut off flat head nail so the previous owner could remove the lever for painting, the steel pin will be replaced when I determine the correct size.

    The raised letters are so clogged with this gloss paint it's unreadable.

    I found exact replacement rivets for the door hinges, and they are nice and snug. Cut to length and ends flattened enough to hold them in place the small door operates smooth and snug now instead of loose and wobbly. The contact engages properly now as well when the door is shut.

    The near plastic-like electro static paint was sanded and the box has been primed in this photo which also shows the replaced rivets:



    All of the too long screws were replaced with the correct length screws and the incorrect flat washers eliminated.

    I have to remove the brass mechanism and a couple of wires to prime and prime the inside of the door next, then it will be just about ready to paint.

    I have not tested the coils yet but they are soaked with oil so i would be surprised if they work at all.
    Last edited by wolff; 08-05-2016, 05:26 PM.

  • #2
    Now that the box is painted with a much less glossy paint, and the brass painted as it was originally, I am working on the mechanism.
    Last edited by wolff; 08-05-2016, 05:26 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have the Horni Signal mechanism pretty well cleaned up, corrosion removed and ready to re-assemble.
      Last edited by wolff; 08-05-2016, 05:26 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have the mechanism re-assembled and it cycles properly, the coil goes back in next as it tested ok
        Last edited by wolff; 08-05-2016, 05:26 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          more patient than me.
          ?

          Comment


          • #6
            I now have this finished, the new OEM style cloth covered wiring is installed, replacing the crumbly corroded old one.
            A crack in the brass meter case has also been repaired, and the broken terminal on it's back re-soldered in place.

            The multitude of strange flat brass washers the previous owner saw fit to put on almost every screw on this unit have been removed and discarded.
            Last edited by wolff; 08-05-2016, 05:27 PM.

            Comment

            300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

            Collapse

            Upper 300x250

            Collapse

            Taboola

            Collapse

            Leader

            Collapse
            Working...
            X