Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

The Last Men Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireRescueEx View Post
    anyone know where i can get a copy of "last men out"?
    Should be able to get right here through firehouse.com. I've had Borders and B&N special order copies of the above mentioned books for me.

First book I read in the biz .. "Report from Engine Co. 82". Great read, good history lesson about old school. One question, is it just me or was Dennis Smith portrayed as the greatest, ballsiest S.O.B to ever throw water?

Current book ... "Fire Lover" (left the book at work, so I can't tell you who wrote it ) About a California arson investigator and renowned expert on arsonists who ends up getting pinched for being a serial arsonist! True story!

Comment

I HIGHLY reccomend Working Fire by Zac Unger, it's a memoir of his rookie years on the Oakland CA Fire Dept.
      Last edited by Motorhead90; 10-20-2007, 05:13 PM.
      "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

Comment

I read the last men out a few months ago, honestly one of the best books I have ever read!

Comment

More good fire department books, although they are fiction, are Leo Stapletons writings. He has wrote 11 books and I have read all of them. Six of them are a series following the carreer od Fireman Donald Holden. It starts with his being hired and going through recruit school in the book ffops(firefighter on probation) and goes all the way through the rank of deputy fire chief. He also has several personal reflection books and a few other works of fiction.

Some other good fire department books are: Report from Eng. Co. 82, Lest Men Out, Braving the Flames, 3000 Degree's, Firehouse, Pride and Ownership, 20,000 Alarms, Fire Factory, The Donovan's, Heart Behind the Hero, Greatest Firefighter Stories Never Told, The Loo, Street Smart Firefighting, Tom Brennan's Random Thoughts.
          Last edited by LADDER2EKU; 11-01-2007, 08:20 PM.
          Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
          -and-
          www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
          Fairfax County PD
          LODD
          End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
          Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
          LODD
          End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Comment

Little Thread Bump.

I just got a copy of this book (last men out) as a Christmas gift and although I have only been able to steal enough time to read the first couple of chapters, I can already see this is going to be a great book.

Read through here to see some of the other suggested titles so now I have to get back into reading (pleasure reading not text books) again.
            Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
            Stephen
            FF/Paramedic
            Instructor

Comment

Has anyone read Probie Days by Jerry Engle?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfee27 View Post

Current book ... "Fire Lover" (left the book at work, so I can't tell you who wrote it ) About a California arson investigator and renowned expert on arsonists who ends up getting pinched for being a serial arsonist! True story!
                Is he from the Glendale Fire Department? If so he drove up and down the state of California lighting fires to and from different arson investigator conferences.

Comment

I am just about to finish up reading fire lover right now. I would say that it is a pretty good book to read. The book is written by Joseph Wambaugh and you should be able to find it fairly cheap, I paid about 7 bucks for mine.
                  Matthew Pullen
                  Firefighter
                  Levittown Fire Company No.1
                  www.levittownfire.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chasselber1 View Post
                    Has anyone read Probie Days by Jerry Engle?
                    Unfortunately I have

Comment

http://books.google.com/books?id=Vw2...d+fire#PPP1,M1

Comment

"Last Men Out" was a good book.

If you like that kind of story telling then also check out these.

"The Blackened Shield" by Don Whitney, actually anything by Whitney is great. "Fire Duty" and "The Loo"

Books by Leo Stapleton are good; "Reflections," "Thirty Years," and "The Cap'n."

I have met the author of "We Can See It From The Bridge," Dave Houseal, who is finishing a new book "We Have Pointers" or something like that. He was a fireman in Harrisburg PA and their unofficial historian, major player in the PA fire Museum in Harrisburg.

Also enjoyed a great history of FDNY in "So Others Might Live" by Terry Galoway. Great history, a lot on the colonial days and interesting characters.

I hope you enjoy these books as much as I.
                        Drew Lyman,
                        "Dear Chief, much has happened since we talked last..."

Comment

I have read Last Men Out about Rescue 2 and thought it was the best firefighting book I have read. Great detail and history about the company. The stories were all excellent and moving at times. I had the opportunity to visit NY once and tried to stop by their house but they must have been out on a run. Oh well, worth the chance.

I have read 3000 Degrees, Firehouse, and Working Fire, also all great books. I have read a few others that were okay but not as great.

I did read Last Man Down about Chief Picciotto and thought it was a good story but thought that since he wrote it about himself he sounded very arrogant. Granted he is a chief and I am sure he did a very good job down there, but he made it seem like nobody could do anything unless he was there to help them or tell them what to do. I heard of plenty of other stories, especially about 6 Truck, that seemed they had to rely on themselves and not a chief to get the job down that day. Oh well, everyone down there that day did an amazing job.

Comment

Originally posted by BKDRAFT View Post
                            Is he from the Glendale Fire Department? If so he drove up and down the state of California lighting fires to and from different arson investigator conferences.
                            Yeah he lit a mess of them here. Furniture stores, Mattress stores. Scumbag!
                            IAFF

Comment

3000 degree's is one of my favorite books.
                              Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
                              4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Comment

Leo Stapleton

I have read all of Stapleton's books from FFop to Chief and absolutely love them!!! He definately knows how to keep a person captivated. There have been several times were I was so into the book that I lost track of time. They are must reads!!!!

I guess I'll be getting Last Men Out now. Thanks guys!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X