Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

The Last Men Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished "Pride and Ownership" by Chief Lasky. It's a great book that is easy to read. I'm starting on "First In, Last Out" right now.

Comment

I second the reccomendation for 3000 Degrees by Sean Flynn. Very good.

I have also read Report from Engine Company 82, and just started Report from Ground Zero both by Dennis Smith, and worth the read.
      Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by mcaldwell View Post
        I second the reccomendation for 3000 Degrees by Sean Flynn. Very good.

I have also read Report from Engine Company 82, and just started Report from Ground Zero both by Dennis Smith, and worth the read.
        I read 3000 Degrees when it was being passed around by CR. Subsequently bought a copy for myself. Also have and read Caroline Paul's "Fighting Fire" about being a female joining the SSFD. {and yes, for those who don't know - she is Alexandra Paul's TWIN sister....}
        If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
          Also have and read Caroline Paul's "Fighting Fire" about being a female joining the SSFD. {and yes, for those who don't know - she is Alexandra Paul's TWIN sister....}
          I thought that she was the prettier sister myself but to each his own. Even if she is a vegetarian.

The other night,I read"102 Minutes"about the people who had to get out of the buildings on Sept 11,and what they knew of those that couldn't make it.
          Ordinarily,I have an abject fear of heights,which makes me happier to hear"Horizontal ventilation this time.",as opposed to"Open that roof!".
          Just reading that book made me start feeling the way I do when on a rooftop:not wanting to go anywhere NEAR the edge and wanting to get down just as soon as possible.
          I've read some of the magazines that popped up after the attacks that told about the people that worked to get their coworkers out and how some people heard the PA announcements and went back into the buildings.
          I think I would have been in total agreement with one Viet Nam vet's pronouncement "Bugger that!We are leaving this place!"
          Anyway,it's a good read.

Comment

This book is due for release in a month or two.I don't know too much about the authors, but it looks like a great reference.

http://www.mtpublishing.com/proddeta...prod=lastalarm

Comment

I reading, but I found myself not being able to put Last Men Out down. Good book.

Comment

I have read both the "Last Man Down" and "3000 degrees", I though both of them were very well written, and I owuld suggest both of them to anyone looking for a good book to read.

Comment

I'm reading "The Last Men Out" now, I really like it so far.
                  Janvier Volunteer Fire Company
                  Station 43-2
                  ~~~
                  New Jersey Forest Fire Service
                  South Jersey
                  Division C Section 9
                  C25

Comment

Pride & Ownership

Amazing Book, Everyone must read. Very easy to read. Just started First In Last out by Bat Chief John Salka.

Comment

I'm also reading The Last Men Out right now and it's so far a very good book.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate7123 View Post
                        I'm also reading The Last Men Out right now and it's so far a very good book.
                        This books and First In, Last out are awesome.

Last Man Down or whatever seemed amazingly like, egotistical, to me, but then i read Report from Ground zero (i think it was...might have been a different 9/11 book) and read countless stories of people saying how that cheif saved their lives, so i kinda gave him a reprieve. There were so many heros that day, it has to be hard to write about the amazing things they did...especially if your writing about your self.

Comment

Loved The Last Men Out too. Report From Engine Co. 82 by Dennis Smith was very good too.
                          SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
                          Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
                          I.A.C.O.J.

Comment

After reading the posts here I went and read "The Last Men Out" I thought that it was a very good book. Long before this post I also read "Firehouse", "So Others Might Live" (history of FDNY), "3000 Degrees", "Report from Engine 82", "A Chicago Firehouse, Stories of Wrigleyville's Engine 78" ( I am a hugh Cubs fan), "Fighting Fire", "First In Last Out", "Collaspe of Burning Buildings", and "Fire Officer Handbook of Tactics". All were good books. I was a little surprised by "First In Last Out" I didn't realize it was more for the business world than the company officer. I do know that quite a bit can be used by the company officer but I was expecting something a little different than it was.

Right now I am reading "Random Thoughts" by Tom Brennan. Pennwell and Bobby Halton have put together all of Tom Brennan's Random Thought articles from the past 18 years and assembled them into a book. I loved his articles when he was alive, and now I am getting to read all of the ones that I missed that were written before I got into the fire service 10 years ago. After reading just a small portion of the book, I wish I would have had the oppertunity to have shared a beer with the man and just pick his brain. I suggest everyone get it whether you are new to the fire service or not.
                            Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

Comment

Firehouse by David Halberstam- VERY good book. Touching, poignant, and hard to read at times.

Fire Fighters: Stories of Survival from the Front Lines of Firefighting by various authors- Also a very good book. A lot of wildfire stories. A lot of the stories are written by firefighters, so the writing may not read quote like a professional author's work, but they're still easy and fun to read. Some of the works date back quite a bit. At the time that I first read it, I skipped over some of the stories, but I'm likely to go back and read them again.

The Last Men Out by Tom Downey- Great book. Moreso if you take into account that it's written by a non-firefighter. While he comes from a firefighting family, it's still tough to capture in writing what it's like to do this job. It's probably even harder to read an accurately written account of such and really grasp it fully if you've never done this job. I enjoyed this book, and it really reinforced where I want to go with my career, and the type of firefighter I want to strive to be.

I just started on So That Others May Live. I love history, so this will hopefully be a great book.

I'm also currently reading Report From Engine Co. 82. It's slower going for me. Not as exciting as the other books I've read. I've read three other books during the time that I've been reading Co. 82.

Comment

anyone know where i can get a copy of "last men out"?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X