No announcement yet.

I got the cash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you fell like you have had adequate training? - No, and I have had the most "training" of my department.

What type of training have you had? - Reading articles, these threads, and going out and trying this stuff in burn buildings. Use of the camera on almost every call we have.

How do think this issue can be best addressed? - Classes taught by qualified instructors at local academies. Plan on setting up a class in the next year for an instructor to come to my firehouse and do some training.

Is this really a legit issue in the Fire Service, or am I just out in left field? - I think your right on the pitchers mound.

I led a committee in 1997 to research our first TI purchase. We reviewed many cameras before making our choice. A significant amount of time was spent at burn buildings evaluating them. We are now expecting delivery of our 4th camera. When NJ came out with it's TIC for every department, we already had 2 so we accepted $ instead of another camera. That may have led to why I have no knowledge of training being offered. I know companies that did accept the camera and they have not had any training, they barely know how to turn it on and off. They have very little concept of what they are actually seeing through the camera. I know a few local academies offer 2 hour classes on TI's once in a great while. I went to one, there was no hands on, you never actually used a TIC, you just watched a Powerpoint presentation. I know far from everything on a TIC and probably from it, but what I see other members of my department doing and not understanding amazes me sometimes. Last week we had a drill, 1 of the cameras had a low battery and no image was showing, just a greyish/white screen. A member used the camera for 5 minutes thinking he just wasn't seeing anything "hot" enough to register. I know I will be running more "inhouse" training on the TIC at least. A "train the trainer" class would be good also. Being volunteer department does not lead to too many far away extended trips to attend all these classes that I'd like though...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X