Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group Texting Apps

Greetings,

I am a Chief of a small volly fire department. I have found that texting is one of the best ways to get messages out to my membership (and groups of members like fire police, pump operators, interior FF's etc) that are not of an emergency nature etc. I have an andriod phone and would like some suggestions of a good group text messaging app (pay or free). I tried some like handcent but they were so full of unneeded and distracting features like emoticons , skins, etc that it made it worthless and confusing to me. I like simple...

Any suggestions? I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    NoCoFire

.... I should add that I can send and receive group texts but the standard android texting app that comes with the phone does not allow me (as far as I know) to designate groups of people. For example if I wanted to just send a text to my fire police folks about some broken equipment that went in for repair I now have to individually enter all of their names into a group text, what I am looking for is to have that set up and in the address bar just type "fire police"

Right now my texting app only allows me to send a text up to 20 people. This also presents a problem if I need to text my entire department.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not trying to run my dept via texting but the once or twice per month it really comes in handy and the feedback from members supports this - they like to have the information.

Thanks again

Comment

Hey NoCo Fire,

My team are using D4H. HAs been great http://www.d4h.org/blog/post/2013121...cations-Module

Comment

Good afternoon,

There are a number of options for doing this. Be happy to talk with you about our Software as a Service solution that has been supporting public safety first responders for 15+ years.

www.dapage.net
        jms at dapage dot net

Comment

Using android features, each of your contacts can be assigned to a group. I created new groups to assign to certain people, like "Alert 1".
          I use a free app called GroupText, which lets you select individuals, or, more usefully, select an existing Android Contact group. Then you can select everyone in that group (or not) and send a group text.
          It's free, and it works..

Comment

We use GroupMe and it works for Android as well as iPhone users.
            "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Greetings all,

I found "ExcelSMS Lite" since I downloaded a couple of months ago they now call it "SA Group Text" (same app) on google play and once you get the spreadsheet part figured out it is easy and it personalizes each text with member name and any other parameter. Its free and so far it works. I needed to watch some a couple of youtube videos to figure it out but after 15 minutes I was up and running. Once you upload the spreadsheet (saved in .xls you can change the message to anything you want) You can get the paid version but the Lite does everything I need it to do.

Again... never for emergencies - ....(however... my cell is more reliable than my Minitor 5...hmphh)

Thank you all for the suggestions.

NoCoFire

Comment

We use GroupMe works on iOS and Android

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader