X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baileydonk
    MembersZone Subscriber
    • Jul 2005

911 for vending machine theft???

There is a sign posted on a candy vending machine downstairs from my office... "If you see anyone stealing from this machine, call 911 immediately".

I was taught that 911 is for life-threatening emergencies only. If I saw someone stealing money from an inanimate object like a vending machine, I would just make note of what the person looked like and call the local police station to file a report.

Am I wrong?
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles
  • MrJim911
    Forum Member
    • Jul 2002

A theft in progress is something you can call 911 for. 911 may have once been promoted as a life or death emergency number only, but that's simply not the way it is anymore.
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Comment

• mcaldwell
      MembersZone Subscriber
      • Apr 2003

Yup, around here, 911 is for just about everything. Nobody even publishes non-emergency Police numbers here anymore.
      Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

• needlejockey
        MembersZone Subscriber
        • Jul 2003

When I used to work as a 911 dispatcher I can't even remember how many times we used to get called for vending machine thefts. It was usually at this one vending machine in a trailer park. It got so bad we actually put the exact location of the vending machine in our Eagle Mapping system so we could give the PD the perfect directions to it. Sad, so so sad.
        Fir Na Tine
        Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

• SSTONER
          Forum Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by baileydonk
          There is a sign posted on a candy vending machine downstairs from my office... "If you see anyone stealing from this machine, call 911 immediately".

I was taught that 911 is for life-threatening emergencies only. If I saw someone stealing money from an inanimate object like a vending machine, I would just make note of what the person looked like and call the local police station to file a report.

Am I wrong?
          Here when you call 911 you get a PSAP(public safety answering point) - its usually a police department. They determine if its a LE matter or Fire/Medical Matter then transfer the call to the right agency.
          Warm Regards,
          Shawn Stoner
          EMT-B

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse