Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revrenhex
    replied
    I know! And both of mine are moto's, I just wish they were one. I think its time I take my spensive minitor and expensive razr apart and put them in one case. hmmm..... A Razitor IV.I ......Yeah.......

Leave a comment:

• joshball
    replied
    MY $0.02
    Motorola does make both

Leave a comment:

• needlejockey
    replied
    For those of you who have a text message sent to you cell phones (or to atleast some in your area) in addition to tones being dispatched over the radio, can you give me some contact info on who set that up? Our chief wants a system like that and I kinda volunteered myself to find out more about it. We know it can be done, but it's not exactly like the have a yellow page listing for it.

Leave a comment:

• atomic475
    replied
    What about Nextel Alerts via 2-way. is able todo a group call. Just a thought, I wouldn't want that as primary because it is very unreliable. Or maybe other than having nextel for dispatch, what about comm center communications. Does anyone have that capability?

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    The convinence comes at a cost. If you use a commercial carrier, you can only rely on it as a secondary means of notification. It can't be your primary method of alerting for the reasons already stated above by Pelican631.

If you buy your own paging encoder and put up your own 500+ watt paging transmitter, it would be reliable enough for primary notification. However, I don't think there is an alpha pager on the market that will wake me up.

Leave a comment:

• Frmboybuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BirkenVogt
    None of the volunteers have opted to have text messaging to their phones, but the officer of each company and the officers of the department each carry a phone that does, and we have found it very valuable to avoid having to ask dispatch "where was that again" and also the incident number comes out on the phone so it can be looked up on the computer later without having to make a phone call. Birken
    Thats the beauty of alphanumeric paging. The pagers are small(half the size of a minitor) and you never have to ask for the page to be repeated....Its all on the pager. There are several radio manufactures that have incorporated two tone paging into their radios. I have a Vertex vx-800 and it has that option. It does me no good as we are all alphanumeric, but for those of you that are still two tone, it might be an option for you....one less piece of equipment to carry

Leave a comment:

• BirkenVogt
    replied
    Group call tones are nice but there are at least 20 different increments (departments, individuals, ambulances, etc.) I can think of that get dispatched in various combinations around here.

Birken

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    It sure would be handy for those times when there are 15 different sets of tones to go at once since nobody thought os making one group call tone.

Leave a comment:

• BirkenVogt
    replied
    None of the volunteers have opted to have text messaging to their phones, but the officer of each company and the officers of the department each carry a phone that does, and we have found it very valuable to avoid having to ask dispatch "where was that again" and also the incident number comes out on the phone so it can be looked up on the computer later without having to make a phone call. It is a very worthwhile feature.

Additionally the phones get the message sent to them as soon as the dispatcher enters the call. This can actually be so fast as to precede the actual voice dispatch when there are several calls pending that need to be dispatched or a brush fire which may have 10-15 units on the initial dispatch, before the dispatcher can get it out over the air you already know it's your call.

Birken

Leave a comment:

• rfdlou
    replied
    Originally posted by Pelican631
    This is great for a secondary notification method, but be aware that it depends on commercial infrastructure. Unless the commercial carriers have agreements in place with the local government, there is no guarantee that the service will always be available. If a cell tower goes down or the system is busy, they aren't under any obligation to get it fixed in a hurry, or notify anyone that it's down. The text messages may come at the same time as the tones in most cases, but if their system gets overloaded (like might possibly happen in an emergency situation where tones need to be sent), there is no guarantee of quick delivery. I'm not saying text message alerting is bad...just be aware of the ramifications.

Andy
    Absolutely correct, text messaging is a secondary notification method. (Kind of a modern version of fire whistles ??) Every member has a Minitor pager.

Leave a comment:

• FCRescue53
    replied
    Originally posted by BPFire1618
    We've used cell phones to coordinate a fire department dispatch to a methamphetamine lab raid. That way the "bad guys" can't hear whats going on, but all the right department personnel get the message. Worked decently well, got a crew for a full HAZMAT assignment with ambulance standing by.
    Coming to you from the homemade Meth capital of the states here, I really feel your pain. Its such a problem here that the state has a fulltime department that all they do is decon for old meth labs. We just have to provide the EMS backup.

Leave a comment:

• BPFire1618
    replied
    Cell phones are used when we're WAY out of our response district on mutual aid and we need to contact dispatch. We've used cell phones to coordinate a fire department dispatch to a methamphetamine lab raid. That way the "bad guys" can't hear whats going on, but all the right department personnel get the message. Worked decently well, got a crew for a full HAZMAT assignment with ambulance standing by. Not that we had to do anything. I don't know if I'd trust a text messaging dispatch system though, there's always the chance of the system lagging and you getting the message 5-10 minutes after its sent. Plus, like Pelican said, it requires service to use...if cell service is interrupted/shut down, you're in a world of fecal matter... But yeah, as a secondary system I think its kind of cool.

Leave a comment:

• Pelican631
    replied
    Originally posted by rfdlou
    Somerset County, NJ. communications is sending text messages of alarms to any Dept. member’s phone who fills out a request form. They come over the same time as the tones drop. The guys love it.
    This is great for a secondary notification method, but be aware that it depends on commercial infrastructure. Unless the commercial carriers have agreements in place with the local government, there is no guarantee that the service will always be available. If a cell tower goes down or the system is busy, they aren't under any obligation to get it fixed in a hurry, or notify anyone that it's down. The text messages may come at the same time as the tones in most cases, but if their system gets overloaded (like might possibly happen in an emergency situation where tones need to be sent), there is no guarantee of quick delivery. I'm not saying text message alerting is bad...just be aware of the ramifications.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• FI18RE
    replied
    Morris County, NJ Fire Departments also have this new technology. If your department is in the county or surrounding area check them out at www.edispatches.com.

Leave a comment:

• FDNY101TRUCK
    replied
    Hunterdon Co. does it as well but only you know the right people and request it.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X