Minitor pager + Cell Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minitor pager + Cell Phone

Does anybody else out there wish that they made a cell phone with a built in minitor voice pager? ive got the two duct taped together now, its just a little bulky......

...please tell me you're joking. Please.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

On which part? The wanting a 2 in 1 or the duct tape. Cause only one of them is a joke

Comment

Yeah ... something needs to be done.

When I go on shift I have my pager, my EMS nextel and my two-way all clipped to my belt. Had to start wearing suspenders just to keep my pants from falling down every time I turned around.

Comment

Somerset County, NJ. communications is sending text messages of alarms to any Dept. member’s phone who fills out a request form. They come over the same time as the tones drop. The guys love it.

Comment

Originally posted by needlejockey
            ...please tell me you're joking. Please.

My first thoughts as well.

That's a great idea from somerset county though!
            ------------------------------------
            These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
            ------------------------------------

Comment

Someone once told one of my friends "You have more technology on your waist than I do in my entire house".
              Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Hunterdon Co. does it as well but only you know the right people and request it.
                NEVER FORGET!
                9/11/01

Comment

Morris County, NJ Fire Departments also have this new technology. If your department is in the county or surrounding area check them out at www.edispatches.com.

Comment

Originally posted by rfdlou
                    Somerset County, NJ. communications is sending text messages of alarms to any Dept. member’s phone who fills out a request form. They come over the same time as the tones drop. The guys love it.
                    This is great for a secondary notification method, but be aware that it depends on commercial infrastructure. Unless the commercial carriers have agreements in place with the local government, there is no guarantee that the service will always be available. If a cell tower goes down or the system is busy, they aren't under any obligation to get it fixed in a hurry, or notify anyone that it's down. The text messages may come at the same time as the tones in most cases, but if their system gets overloaded (like might possibly happen in an emergency situation where tones need to be sent), there is no guarantee of quick delivery. I'm not saying text message alerting is bad...just be aware of the ramifications.

Andy

Comment

Cell phones are used when we're WAY out of our response district on mutual aid and we need to contact dispatch. We've used cell phones to coordinate a fire department dispatch to a methamphetamine lab raid. That way the "bad guys" can't hear whats going on, but all the right department personnel get the message. Worked decently well, got a crew for a full HAZMAT assignment with ambulance standing by. Not that we had to do anything. I don't know if I'd trust a text messaging dispatch system though, there's always the chance of the system lagging and you getting the message 5-10 minutes after its sent. Plus, like Pelican said, it requires service to use...if cell service is interrupted/shut down, you're in a world of fecal matter... But yeah, as a secondary system I think its kind of cool.

Comment

Originally posted by BPFire1618
                        We've used cell phones to coordinate a fire department dispatch to a methamphetamine lab raid. That way the "bad guys" can't hear whats going on, but all the right department personnel get the message. Worked decently well, got a crew for a full HAZMAT assignment with ambulance standing by.
                        Coming to you from the homemade Meth capital of the states here, I really feel your pain. Its such a problem here that the state has a fulltime department that all they do is decon for old meth labs. We just have to provide the EMS backup.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican631
                          This is great for a secondary notification method, but be aware that it depends on commercial infrastructure. Unless the commercial carriers have agreements in place with the local government, there is no guarantee that the service will always be available. If a cell tower goes down or the system is busy, they aren't under any obligation to get it fixed in a hurry, or notify anyone that it's down. The text messages may come at the same time as the tones in most cases, but if their system gets overloaded (like might possibly happen in an emergency situation where tones need to be sent), there is no guarantee of quick delivery. I'm not saying text message alerting is bad...just be aware of the ramifications.

Andy
                          Absolutely correct, text messaging is a secondary notification method. (Kind of a modern version of fire whistles ??) Every member has a Minitor pager.

Comment

None of the volunteers have opted to have text messaging to their phones, but the officer of each company and the officers of the department each carry a phone that does, and we have found it very valuable to avoid having to ask dispatch "where was that again" and also the incident number comes out on the phone so it can be looked up on the computer later without having to make a phone call. It is a very worthwhile feature.

Additionally the phones get the message sent to them as soon as the dispatcher enters the call. This can actually be so fast as to precede the actual voice dispatch when there are several calls pending that need to be dispatched or a brush fire which may have 10-15 units on the initial dispatch, before the dispatcher can get it out over the air you already know it's your call.

Birken

Comment

It sure would be handy for those times when there are 15 different sets of tones to go at once since nobody thought os making one group call tone.
                              Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X