Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Working Overnights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working Overnights

Hey everybody...anybody that works the overnight or what my station calls MIDSHIFT? We start at 5:30 pm and work until 0530. Just wondering what people do during the shift to pass the time other than read, internet, TV. We are not a very busy station at that time of day so I was just curious as to what other do during their shift.
    Last edited by Bostondude; 10-26-2010, 09:35 PM.

Read, internet and TV (we only get weather and news) just about cover everything. LOL
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Comment

read EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE on the 4-5 news sites we have access to... we stay decently busy though most nights.

when i dispatched in the Marines we just took a laptop into dispatch and watched movies all night

Comment

You learn to appreciate literature very fast. I read through the 4 websites we have access to in my first week (Local News, Webmd, Jems and here). Then I started reading the Enders Game and Beans Story series. Since then, Ive read nearly every Stephen King novel, most of Piers Anthony (including as much Xanth as I could find), and anything else that piques my interest.

Without books, I would have fallen asleep or gone insane. We also can not bring in any outside entertainment if its electronic.

It also was a great study time when I was in school too.

Comment

well luckily we can bring in our personal laptops and we have a TV with dvd player so I guess I should just be content with that...my prob with reading is I might get sleepy so as long as I am typing or watching an entertaining movie I am fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bostondude View Post
            well luckily we can bring in our personal laptops and we have a TV with dvd player so I guess I should just be content with that...my prob with reading is I might get sleepy so as long as I am typing or watching an entertaining movie I am fine.
            man... you've got it good then. all youve gotta do is pick up a wireless card and get a plan and you can start playing computer games online, watching tv online, etc. i'd kill to be able to have a laptop (or any electronics for that matter) at work. life would be easy.

Comment

I am working a 2100-0700 graveyard shift right now. We email the daily reports for the agencies we serve each night. Graveyards is also a good time to get caught up grading EMD calls. Every dispatcher hear has special duties. Mine is dealing with all of the maps and training the other dispatchers on maps, so I try and do that when I can. We also are responsible for cleaning the center each night (vacuuming, trash, etc.). I try and save cleaning until after 0300 as a means to keep myself awake.
              We are not allowed a TV in dispatch, so we get news of the outside world from the internet.
              I stopped bringing books into work when I saw that every time I started to read, the 911 phone would ring.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X