Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

SMS Software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMS Software

Do any of your Depts. use text messaging (cellphone) programs for communications? We are going to get rid of our pagers and going to use text/SMS. Do any of you have suggestions for SMS software. Any help would be appreciated.

Another example of people who don't know what they're talking about making policy changes. SMS messaging should never be used for alerting. This is the worst idea EVER. People will probably die eventually.

My suggestion is if your department wants to use a kids toy as a primary emergency alerting method, you should find a new department.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Sorry

Sorry, it is not for alerting. It is for info. like classes and overtime available. Sorry again for the confusion.

Comment

Thank god. You wouldn't believe the "good ideas" some people come up with because they're cool and new.

For that kind of messaging, there are a number of solutions. There are a number of programs that will do it. I suggest Notepage.
        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

Also note for basic text message broadcasts you don't even need software. A lot of people don't know that you can simply create an email list with everyone's cell phone number and send everyone (or just select people) a txt msg from your email. This example is for a Verizon phone:

1235555555@vtext.com

You will need to know each person's cell provider to use the correct "domain". Then simply send an email to all your addresses using your standard email. It's simple and free.
            Regards

- Adam

Fire Service Web Design - Video Production - Photography

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

How you proceed depends on what your objective is. But be carefull. Most of the Carriers today are using Filters and Throttles to reduce spam traffic on there networks. So a message sent to your staff through a public e-mail gateway can be delayed significantly. A duplicate message, to numerous members from a common source will be subject to this (Ex: a mail distribution group).

If you are doing staff notifications, or team recalls, or even secondary incident pages, anything of a time sensative nature you should look at something like our DAPage(tm) or maybe the I am Responding package.

http://www.dapage.net
                http://iamresponding.com/

Comment

Does anyone know of any free SMS/Text message programs out there to use? I know they exist, I just don't know the name of any decent ones.
                  NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
                  IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Comment

I have used Outlook successfully for a long time. It is easy to set up and works.
                    Jason Brooks
                    IAFF Local 2388
                    IACOJ

Comment

Never used Outlook but I'll take a look at it. Thanks.
                      IACOJ Attack

Comment

We use outlook too and it's easy to use. You can send out a text to a preset distribution list just like sending an email. We are also looking at another program for mass text messaging in the case of a true emergency but I am not sure what program they are looking at for that. We have 500 people on our department with different cell phone providers so I am not sure if that is an issue or not. With outlook we use nextel blackberries on our city server.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanEMVFD View Post
                          Does anyone know of any free SMS/Text message programs out there to use? I know they exist, I just don't know the name of any decent ones.
                          Ryan,

My comments from Aug 2010 are truer now more than ever. You might be able to get away with outlook or any number of other email based notification products for day to day ops to a couple of users. But the throttling and pacing that is in place to protect the carriers will prevent large groups from getting a common message in a timely basis. (when it's really needed).

The various products available are all cost effective and utilize enterprise level connections to the carriers. Most of us can also do demos.

JMS..
                          http://www.dapage.net/emergencyservices.html

Comment

None of what I need is for emergency calls or anything. It's intended use is to just get messages out for special events, meetings or training. Thanks for the heads up.
                            IACOJ Attack

Comment

I have been using Text Message Plus. It's freeware but only supports four cell carriers. So far it's working well.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X