Anyone using Novacool foam??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using Novacool foam??

Does anyone have any experience using Novacool foam? We recently switched to it, have used it on a small scale, but no live fire or large fuel spills yet. Just wondering what your experiences are with it.

We have been using Novacool since 2006 with great success. Our use has been primarily on Class A fires. Our use on Class B fires has been small scale for training. If you have specific questions regarding our experiences with Novacool I will be happy to answer them. We currently have three engines carrying Novacool using FoamPro injection systems. Our two newest engines use the FoamPro 2002 with a 40 gals. foam cell. We have every line connected to our foam manifold and use foam solution on every fire from the time the nozzle is opened until we finish the incident. Again, please let me know if you have any questions.

Shawn Oke, Chief
    Albemarle FD
    Albemarle, NC

Comment

Full Disclosure, I am a salesman for Novacool UEF. All my experience with large pool fires comes from demonstrations I have arranged with end users. Here is a large pool fire we did a couple of weeks ago at refinery in Artesia, NM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_b7AqlIwHM&t=1s The firefighters involved were all very impressed...

Comment

Originally posted by SWFFFE View Post
        Full Disclosure, I am a salesman for Novacool UEF. All my experience with large pool fires comes from demonstrations I have arranged with end users. Here is a large pool fire we did a couple of weeks ago at refinery in Artesia, NM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_b7AqlIwHM&t=1s The firefighters involved were all very impressed...
        Thanks for the reply. Am I correct in that Novacool works by emulsifying the top layer of the fuel so that it doesn't release vapors?? That's my understanding of how it works from the literature I've seen, but we've never actually had a salesman at our dept, we just split a pallet with another dept.

Comment

Yes, that's basically the way it works. The fuel molecules are encapsulated. I've had departments telling me they have used Novacool to mitigate vapor release on spills to keep them from igniting. In the oil fields, the fear is the release of hydrogen sulfide gases and Novacool does an excellent job of suppressing those vapors as well. With Novacool, once the fire is out it stays out. It requires direct heat for rekindle, a big difference from starving the fire of oxygen where the blanket can easily be disrupted.

Comment

Another question for you, is there a shelf life for premixed Novacool in extinguishers? We have 30 and 10 gal CAFS extinguishers, and we load our water cans with foam too.

Comment

Sorry, just now saw this question! Under pressure, the Novacool solution is good for a minimum of 1 year so we recommend recharging your extinguishers annually, both the 2.5 gallon extinguishers and your CAFS units. When batch mixed and not pressurized, it will bio-degrade out within 30 days. You can tell it's going off when you get a septic smell...

Comment

It wont pass a mil-spec fire if that helps.
                It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Comment

Also what was the flow rate and application density in the video you provided? Also what was the Gas to Diesel mix ratio?
                  It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X