This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    While your last statement is very true, opening the door between a garage and the house to attack the fire has made the house part of the fire, whereas it may have been merely an attached exposure.
    What happens when you start pushing hot gasses through the rest of the house from an exterior attack? How do you know the door separating the garage from the house is intact? Going into the house and putting a line between the home and the fire is the safest method of survivability for occupants.
    PGFD

Comment

Originally posted by allpro View Post
      What happens when you start pushing hot gasses through the rest of the house from an exterior attack? How do you know the door separating the garage from the house is intact? Going into the house and putting a line between the home and the fire is the safest method of survivability for occupants.
      Here's what I said in the first response to the original poster:
      Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
      I tend to like advancing a line into the house to verify the firewall/door is still intact. If the separation is good this crew can take a safe position outside the immediate area while another attack line (high flow smoothbore) knocks down the fire from outside. Attacking through the interior into the garage space opens the home to the smoke and heat. If the separation has not held, then this first line attacks the fire.
      My only concern with your method was where you said take the line in and attack the fire. If the wall/door is intact you'll have to open the door to make the attack, exposing the home to the heat/smoke/fire.
      Last edited by RFDACM02; 09-24-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

One question with the interior line:
        If the door to the garage has held, do you pull the interior ceiling adjacent to it?

On one hand, I'm thinking if the fire is going to penetrate it will do so at the door/frame, not through the fire-rated drywall above the door header. Pulling the ceiling on the house-side may only result in unnecessary damage.

On the other hand, the garage is on fire, damage is a secondary concern. Pull the ceiling to make sure it doesn't get into the void.
        So you call this your free country
        Tell me why it costs so much to live
        -3dd

Comment

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
          If the door to the garage has held, do you pull the interior ceiling adjacent to it?

On one hand, I'm thinking if the fire is going to penetrate it will do so at the door/frame, not through the fire-rated drywall above the door header. Pulling the ceiling on the house-side may only result in unnecessary damage.

On the other hand, the garage is on fire, damage is a secondary concern. Pull the ceiling to make sure it doesn't get into the void.
          This would be an A-1 place for a TIC. I'd also expect the search crew to get in above the the garage/house ceiling on the second floor and report any extension.

Comment

Originally posted by voyager9 View Post

if you dont have a TIC, then use of your old schol senses is paramount. open up when you think there maybe a breach of the fire rated assembly. put a line on the second floor and access the attic space.

i will most of the time put the 1st line to the garage and then one inside (split crew of 5). inside holds while outside does the extinguishment.
            Originally Posted by madden01
            "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else, while you want to send someone into the house to ensure there is no extension. Unless the door or firewall is already compromised leave everything closed and knock it down from outside.

Just make sure you get the garage doors and windows open. That way the heat will have a place to go and won't be trying to push down the house door when you hit the fire.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X