No announcement yet.

LED or Bulbs which is better in smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED or Bulbs which is better in smoke?

I would like to purchase a personal flashlight but i am not sure to get the light with LED's or just regular bulbs....which does everyone feel would have better use and cut through smoke better...i know flashlights under certain conditions don't make difference but regardless... Opinions?

bulb or led

I've had both in the survivor lights. Personally I like the new led one better, charge seems to last longer also. Seems brighter too. However most the time I still can't see crap so It usually stays off until venting is pretty well taking over. Hope that helps!

Comment

The new super LEDs are great. They put out a nice tight spot light as opposed to the multiLED floods

Comment

I have tested the Survivor LED side by side in a smoke environment with the older style Survivor with the Black Xenon bulb and the answer is clear to me. While the LED is substantially brighter the Black Xenon bulb penetrates much farther into the smoke than the LED does.

The major advantages of the LED in a Survivor are the ability to use regular C batteries and the length of use on a charge is better than the Black Xenon bulb style.

My opinion...stay with the Black Xenon bulb.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Develop the power of echolocation and you won't need a light.
          Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
            Develop the power of echolocation and you won't need a light.
            Only if we had bat powers that might be possible.

Comment

Flashllight

FoxFury makes a Light with 2 green LED's. They say that greem penetrates better

Comment

Take a look at the Pelican Recoil LED series. I sell Streamlight and Pelican, but in my opinion the Recoil head does a very good job in smoke. If you try a Pelican side-by-side with any other light in a normal environment the other light will look brighter, but put them in smoke and you'll see a difference. They run on LED's that, rather than aiming straight out like a regular light, the LED aims back at the refractor which is what helps the light cut through smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                  I have tested the Survivor LED side by side in a smoke environment with the older style Survivor with the Black Xenon bulb and the answer is clear to me. While the LED is substantially brighter the Black Xenon bulb penetrates much farther into the smoke than the LED does.

The major advantages of the LED in a Survivor are the ability to use regular C batteries and the length of use on a charge is better than the Black Xenon bulb style.

My opinion...stay with the Black Xenon bulb.
                  You got that right brother, It's the best light out on the market for cutting through the smoke. The LED last longer but how long do realy plan on being in a burning building? The charge on the Xenon bulb last up to 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. or so and if you are still fighting fire inside a building for over that ammount of time, the type of flash light you have is going to be the least of your worries. If you are still worried about run time, purchase the piggy back charger w/the extra battery.

Stay Safe
                  Bull
                  Stay Safe
                  Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
                  - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
                  -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Comment

I have a pelican helmet mount with a xenon bulb and it's bright. I also have a sabrelight in my pocket. In regards to lights, the brighter they better but not in very smokey conditions. It blinds you, and if you are on the attack line searching for the fire it is easier to locate the fire without a helmet light turned on. It mimicks the effects of driving in fog or heavy snow with your high beams on......very blinding

Comment

I would go with the LCD. Better battery life and better smoke cutting power

Comment

Originally posted by hollohead590 View Post
                        But do you really need a high definition light?
                        Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Originally posted by hollohead590 View Post
                          What is the difference between the LED and the LCD flashlights (thought that he missspelled it until I did a search and found an LCD flashlight)?
                          Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

Originally posted by arff17 View Post
                            They say that greem penetrates better
                            I have some greem shorts to go with that light. Looking for a matching hat
                            Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

From a purely physics standpoint, the LED will not have the same distance as a regular bulb. The individula bulb candle power is still the same at distance. They are brighter up close for sure. They use less energy, thus longer battery power. All LED lights do. The are too bright for smoky environments and cause too much glare.
                              Jason Brooks
                              IAFF Local 2388
                              IACOJ

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse