Nfpa Scba Brackets In Our New Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    I can only say in response to this that if you pull the cord to release the strap on the scba brackets we have, without being seated, the scba will fall out of the seat. The bracket is nothing more than a rounded V that the scba rests against, the strap holds it against the V. If that is what they have it isn;t as simple as pulling the strap sitting down and putting the scba on.

These brackest suck big time and I am sure many FD's have done what we did to modify them.
    These are the newer NFPA compliant type that ensures the pack must be secured to ride down the road when no one is in the seat. Our tower has these and they are a PITA. Like I said, the new mechanical fit type look like the bes solution to flying object and user friendliness.

Comment

we have brackets that are a 3/4 circle with the straps to hold the SCBAs in place. For the most part the SCBA is secured with this strap unless someone is riding in this seat, in which case the strap is released at the start of shift and put back in place at the end. (we are a combination department so there is anywhere from 2-6 people per engine depending on the day and time)

Comment

Zico catalog shows several choices in mechanical hold brackets (1045). Options available hold the cylinder from sides or from top/bottom.

Flamefighter also has a retro fit kit to eliminate the straps design.

I recently drove a new E-One pumper that had the Bostrom units. Very slick, only had to move the release handle (on seat between leg) up about 1" to release.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          I can only say in response to this that if you pull the cord to release the strap on the scba brackets we have, without being seated, the scba will fall out of the seat. The bracket is nothing more than a rounded V that the scba rests against, the strap holds it against the V. If that is what they have it isn;t as simple as pulling the strap sitting down and putting the scba on.

These brackest suck big time and I am sure many FD's have done what we did to modify them.

Hmmm...Ours are just like the old type of bracket, just that they have a strap that goes over the pack with a release and pull cord. Without the strap, they stay in place just like the old ones. The strap serves no purpose other then to hold the pack in place during rapid deceleration.
          Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
          RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
          Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1983 View Post
            Hmmm...Ours are just like the old type of bracket, just that they have a strap that goes over the pack with a release and pull cord. Without the strap, they stay in place just like the old ones. The strap serves no purpose other then to hold the pack in place during rapid deceleration.
            The newer NFPA compliant brackets no longer have the "clips" the bottle snaps into. Now, as FYREDUP notes, the bottle is, for lack of better terms, leaned against the "Vee" shaped brackets and held in place by the strap. Of course you could just by the high cycle bottle clips of old and change out the two bolts per bracket...

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
              The newer NFPA compliant brackets no longer have the "clips" the bottle snaps into. Now, as FYREDUP notes, the bottle is, for lack of better terms, leaned against the "Vee" shaped brackets and held in place by the strap. Of course you could just by the high cycle bottle clips of old and change out the two bolts per bracket...
              We replaced on set of the new brackets with new "older" style brackets. Our SOG says anytime the seat is unoccupied the strap must be inplace. If you will don scba the strap may be released before you sit down.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Edge317,see post #3 for the answer to your query. When the string pulls out and the pack DOES NOT release,trust me your operations WILL be inhibited.As RFD states Bostrom has a better idea,and we're using it. T.C.

Comment

I still don't see how it effects operations. I haven't used the brackets, you have so I'll just take it as that. When do you pull the cord once your seated or when your on scene? In the event that it doesn't release when the cord is pulled is it difficult to manually release it when you are out of the SCBA?

Comment

2 of our E-ONE engines are 96 models with the 911 seats. Ours have the older spring clamps to where all you have to do is sit down, strap up and pull the pack out...no strings attached. The packs don't move as the clamps are spring loaded and they have worked well for many years. Only drawback is that they sit pretty low in the seats and if you are tall, its a PITA to get it on and be ready when you step out of the truck.

Comment

We started using the inertia-lock seats from pierce, with a clamp on the upper middle of the seat that clamshells closed around the bottle as you press it in. Step out of it, and it opens... get into a wreck and the lock drops shut and keeps you in the seat- presumably. Fortunately we've not yet had to put that one to the test.

We've done some dorking around with it and when those things are locked, they're locked- but they won't lock no matter how hard you pull on the bottle / BA harness. The inertia mechanism is unrelated to the bottle and operates independently- still on the seat... just not on the bottle. Properly adjusted, the seats hold the bottles nicely when not in use, and when in use have only caused one "missfire" which happened before the user got in the truck. A quick scan on the indicator that sits slightly behind the seat would resolve that (we're still learning the seats finer points.) It takes some adjustment but once they're dialed in they work pretty well.

There is another one out there that has sort of an "ejection seat" style handle between your legs on the front of the seat. I can't remember who makes it but it looks slick. Anyone used those?

As for those other ones, I do the same thing. We've got our original stock seats in one of our other pumps- at least we did up until recently when we retrofitted in some with just a bracket holder with no safety attachment. Those are my favourite- because you're not sitting so far forward in the seats. I'm finding a lot of these seats are so cramped up they really push you forward on the "seat" portion and makes it almost impossible to sit properly in them... especially in the officer's seat.
                      Ian "Eno" McLeod
                      Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
                      HESD / OFD
                      "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

Comment

We put in Zico brackets in 2005. Simple to retrofit, as we did it ourselves. Strap comes across the SCBA and clips into a lock, with a pull cord. We set ours up so that the strap comes across the SCBA shoulder staps as well. That keeps guys from sitting down, pulling the shoulder straps on, and then trying to disengage the strap. It now has to be pulled first.

Yes, guys pull the strap, put on the shoulder harnesses...and then their seatbelts. Have not had an issue.
                        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X