Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ax vs maul

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    1. For my area (residential) I bring a halligan and a 8' hook ( lots of decorative glass doors and/or one or two locks)

    2. for the roof a 8# flathead axe, will not "stick" like the pick head and makes bigger holes then the maul ( if I can't bring a saw)

    3. Apartments and/or commercial doors cut down handle 10# sledge, halligan, and if you have one a "rabbit" tool

    know your area and use the tools that work for you!!!

    also through the lock is sometimes faster!

    Comment


    • #32
      [QUOTE=WFDFire2156;963359]
      Originally posted by jakesdad View Post

      On our appuratus we have riding posistions and I am on one of our truck companys. On our truck the riding poistions are Officer:Halligan & T.I.C plus search rope, Driver: Pickhead ax & roofhook or pike pole(if driver is not setting up the stick he ethier does OV or assists with roof operations), FF behind Driver (Irons): halligan & flathead ax for residential buildings & sledgehammer for commerical or highrise plus rabbit tool, FF behind driver (roof): roofhook & halligan plus K-12 saw, and if we have a 5th FF riding a tour which happends 85%-90% of the time that FF will be our can man which he will carry a hook( if he wants a halligan or ax) plus the pump can. Ok so to your question when I am riding as the "irons posistion" and we are sent as a company to the roof for ventalation I 95% of the time take a halligan and a maul,the other 5% of the time I take a halligan & sledge hammer if I know its a really heavy roof. The reason why I prefer to not use the ax is becuase when you strike it into the roof it usally gets stuck in the roof. U can keep using your ax but I will keep using my maul lol
      I really think we are using different terminology here, which is where the confusion comes in.

      Where I am...a "maul" is also called a "sledgehammer". There is no cutting edge to this tool. It is considered a striking tool. I can't think of a single use for it on top of a roof.

      There are other "mauls" that have a striking edge...and a cutting edge on the other side, similar to an axe.

      I think this is what you might be referring to when you say maul.

      Comment


      • #33
        [QUOTE=jakesdad;964993]
        Originally posted by WFDFire2156 View Post

        I really think we are using different terminology here, which is where the confusion comes in.

        Where I am...a "maul" is also called a "sledgehammer". There is no cutting edge to this tool. It is considered a striking tool. I can't think of a single use for it on top of a roof.

        There are other "mauls" that have a striking edge...and a cutting edge on the other side, similar to an axe.

        I think this is what you might be referring to when you say maul.
        Yes our maul does have a cutting edge to it. I love taking it to the roof becuase of the added weight plus some roofs require a blow with the blunt edge to get all the way through. Yeah the only reason we use the sledge hammer is if we are going to a job in a commerical and high-rise jobs. We have a welded peice of steel in kind of a U shape with right angles welded to the top of the sledgehammer and it works great for marrying the halligan with the sledgehammer.

        Comment

        300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

        Collapse

        Upper 300x250

        Collapse

        Taboola

        Collapse

        Leader

        Collapse
        Working...
        X