Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Believe it or not, it technically wasn't fully involved...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAPPYY
    replied
    Pack-up Guys, Were Goin In......guys...guys...

Ok Everyone, "defensive Attack"!!!

Leave a comment:

• Dalmatian190
    replied
    Watcha running for tips & pressures 7160?

2 1-3/4" lines running 15/16" smoothbores and being slightly over-pumped would've been close to the same flow rate used on the fire during the first 10 minutes

I'd still prefer a 2.5" with an 1-1/8" or better to concentrate the flow a bit more early on though

Leave a comment:

• firefighter7160
    replied
    Start an Attack

Ive seen that here. Not a rural area but a city, Two 1 3/4 lines would take care of that fire. With a plug at every corner, water supply is not an issue. With a fire like that, why go to the back and search for the fire. Hit it from the front and then get inside. The fire is well vented, and a good hard attack on the front should knock it down. 2-4 MIN'S tops and a crew should be inside, hitting hotspots. But every fire is different. You never know what is inside.

www.PineBluffFire.com
    "Best in the South"

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    By two sides, we are judging a house as fully involved?

Leave a comment:

• MTPLEASANTFF6
    replied
    fully Involved?

I would set up a surround and dround. Looks like it was fully involved. It looked like a double wide trailer fire we had. It was fully involved. The call came to dispatch at around 02:35. We seen it approx. a mile away. The flames were that high. That we could see it that far away.

Leave a comment:

• Dalmatian190
    replied
    The only exposures would be internal ones -- mostly the rooms towards the B/C corner, and upstairs. Although by this point there was at least significant smoke & heat damage in those. Still nice to save what you can of a business papers or family heirlooms even if insurance will be replacing the rest.

Leave a comment:

• djgilbert32
    replied
    Since your not coming right off a hydrant, we would pull our 2" with a fog nozzle for the main house section, and a 2 1/2" with fog for garage, after water supply is established then get a couple 1 3/4 lines going.

Leave a comment:

• dday05
    replied
    Does the car light up? It appears there is no exposures correct? See where I'm going?

Leave a comment:

• Dalmatian190
    replied
    About 10 minutes and 4,500 gallons of wet stuff on red stuff later:

What's next folks? (I know what happened, just looking to generate some discussion before I give the rest of the story...)

BTW, from today's local newspaper:
    (Brooklyn Fire Marshal) Kramer said the homeowner, Roland Leo Daigneault, was working in a workshop in the attached two-car garage. He had placed a bucket containing the rags outside the garage near an exterior wall of the house, Kramer said. A short time later, he went outside and discovered fire coming from the house.

Kramer said it appears the fire started on the exterior wall of the house...

Homeowner was working in the the garage and noticed something was "wrong" and found the fire. He did mention to me he had 2,000 s.f. of seasoned oak in the garage...have to wonder if was working on oiling wood in the garage which helped contribute to the rapid development.

State Fire Marshals office provided technical assistance. Officially fire cause is being called "undetermined."

Last edited by Dalmatian190; 02-20-2007, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eng34FF
    replied
    Knowing our setup, I'd pull either a 2 1/2 or our 3" preconnect, depending on the manpower I have. With the 2 1/2 at least you have a shot at moving it, once you charge the 3", it stays where it is.

We don't keep the nozzle on our deck guns due to clearance issues, so we don't tend to pull them often. We can place the 3" in service quicker and have better placement.

For water supply, we only carry 850' of 4", so tanker shuttles are the best option here. Preferably we would set up a portable pond.

Leave a comment:

• Geinandputitout
    replied
    Deck Gun

My intention with the deck gun:

Had an incident quite similar to this one from the photos earlier this year. I had my guys pull 2 2.5" lines off and attack the fire. No success. The only other tool we have that can apply big water quickly is a deck gun.

On the angle of attack issue, ours will go over center towards the ground. You have to be careful that you don't wash the truck though.

I don't know if it would've worked, but would've liked to try. AO

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Consider how high off the ground your deck gun may be along with how far away from the building you will be. Is that stream going to be hitting where you want or just pouring water in any opening?

I know on my engine, the gun is about 10' off the ground. Garage door at 8' height. All I'd be doing is wasting water and not putting it up higher where it needs to be. Your setup's may vary.

2 1/2" in a guys hands will do much more good.

Leave a comment:

• Haweater
    replied
    Marshmallows anyone? I didn't bring them, didn't you bring them?
    Oh well, on the deck gun issue, we're always very hesitant to think of the deck gun unless there's already a big water supply established - rarely use it unless on a hydrant or two. Doesn't seem like the most effective use of 500 gallons.

Leave a comment:

• nmfire
    replied
    I can't make any judgements by the picture because all I see is a big orange glow.

Leave a comment:

• ullrichk
    replied
    I'd be inclined to use the deck gun on the garage if its detached or attached by a breezeway and is going to continue to expose the house if it's not dealt with, otherwise I'd hate to use that much water all at once if I'm going to be able to get an adequate water supply to do an offensive attack on the house.

On the other hand, it's hard to tell but the fire looks like it's pretty low in the structure. Is this a basement fire? If it is, it looks too advanced to mount an interior attack.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X