Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Half sheep shank knot

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Thanks for the help.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

    Originally posted by Catch22
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
      I use it to shank half of my sheep!

      FTM-PTB
      Does it work on all your sheep or just half your sheep?

      Comment


      • #18
        True that the sheepshank shortens the line, but the true use for it that I learned in the Navy, was that it was used to relieve a weakened section of line. If you had a section of line that was weakened from abrasion or whatever, and you couldn't change out the lines, you could tie a sheepshank into the line, and the strain would be taken off the weakened section. With the sheepshank tied properly, you could actually cut the weakened section, and it would not matter.
        Bill Geyer
        Engine 27
        Memphis F.D.

        Comment


        • #19
          It costs about ten bucks to have pockets that will hold sheep hoof's sewn onto the front of your boots; then you won't have to bother with tying a rope around them to keep them from running away.
          Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
            It costs about ten bucks to have pockets that will hold sheep hoof's sewn onto the front of your boots; then you won't have to bother with tying a rope around them to keep them from running away.
            LMAO, what, you can't take the time to post a link for Texas-velcro-gloves?
            How can you spot a guy who likes Moosehead? Antler marks on his belly



            Edit: Okay, for those of ewe south of the border, Moosehead is a Canadian beer......
            Nobody ever called the fire department for doing something smart.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by stretch13 View Post
              True that the sheepshank shortens the line, but the true use for it that I learned in the Navy, was that it was used to relieve a weakened section of line. If you had a section of line that was weakened from abrasion or whatever, and you couldn't change out the lines, you could tie a sheepshank into the line, and the strain would be taken off the weakened section. With the sheepshank tied properly, you could actually cut the weakened section, and it would not matter.
              :: WARNING ACTUAL QUESTION :: Does the line that's tied into the weakened line go back to the weakened line's anchor point or doesn't it matter?

              I was only told that you could join two lines of different diameters. FWIW: In GA this is known as a Beckett Bend.
              Last edited by DonSmithnotTMD; 02-19-2007, 05:01 PM. Reason: dumbassery like always
              I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

              Comment


              • #22
                thanks guys you have all been helpful now i know thanks

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
                  :: WARNING ACTUAL QUESTION :: Does the line that's tied into the weakened line go back to the weakened line's anchor point or doesn't it matter?

                  I was only told that you could join two lines of different diameters. FWIW: In GA this is known as a Beckett Bend.
                  We were taught that you used the same line, you just used the sheepshank to relieve the weakened section.

                  The becket bend, and double becket bend were used to join two lines of different diameters.
                  Bill Geyer
                  Engine 27
                  Memphis F.D.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    The sheepshank has its uses, as stretch13 notes. I have used the knot frequently for line shortening, weak line "reinforcement", and as a tackle knot. A sheepshank "in a reef" (or "on a reef", or "with a reef") is more stable; but more difficult to tie.

                    A sheepshank should not be used without enhancement under alternating load/non-load conditions (see diagram). Also, double half hitches at both ends tend to make the sheepshank more stable.

                    Remember, knots are tools in a toolbox. Use the proper tool, use it correctly, and under the proper conditions. And if there is a better tool in the toolbox for the intended use; use it.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Sheepshank in a reef. Note the modified reef knot (square knot) formed around the center of the sheepshank.
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        OK lets see if this works. The knot we call a half sheep shank with a safety is used to create a barrier or can be used to secure an object from going somewhere.
                        First tie off the rope to something substantial then run the line to the object you want to secure (banister in picture)

                        Then cross the running end over the middle of the line that is between the two objects

                        Make two loops in the line towards the anchor and take a bite over the running end that is lying on the line and into the loops

                        Naxt take the running end towards the object you want to secure and tie it off with two half hitches and here you are.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          An alternative way is to put a butterfly in the line send the running end through the loop then tighten and secure with half hitches.
                          Attached Files

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            thanks guys lot's of info

                            Comment

                            300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                            Collapse

                            Upper 300x250

                            Collapse

                            Taboola

                            Collapse

                            Leader

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X