Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random thoughts out...Rules of Engagement in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random thoughts out...Rules of Engagement in?

Although this deals with the competitions magazine...

How many of you will continue to read the back page of FE's monthy issue as before?

After the last months Editor's tourtured molestation of one of, if not the most famous quote from Chief Edward F. Croker in his attempt to somehow justify fire based EMS and how Chief Croker even felt that EMS was sooo engrained and deep seated in the traditions of the Fire Department and how EMS is a natural extension of our job and closely related to it.(it isn't) I can't help but think that magazine's best days are behind it.

Recent articles which were either so basic as to be insulting to a regular reader...(One suggested as some important safety points when working on the top of the Engine appratus was to look where you climb and don't get hit by the stream of the deluge gun! ) Or were completely irrelevant or much to accademic as to be any value to any fireman or Chief in the field.

How can one go from reading and learning from the real world hands on experiences and wisdom of a Capt. Tom Brennan to that of some self-promoting bueracrat who has spent his entire career trying to convince everyone he knows how to run your FD when he didn't even bother to lead his own. I'm sure Chief Bruno knows the "In-Basket and Out-Basket" really well and I imagine we could all learn alot about the finer points of putting together power point presentations or how to reload a swingline stapler...but I until now thought mags like FD and FireEng were targeted towards firemen and what they needed to know to keep themselves alive. Things that everyone could trust that Tom Brennan had done first hand a 1000 times.

It wasn't long ago I felt that Firehouse had really slipped into becoming nothing more than a Buff mag and that Fire Engineering offered some relevant tips, discussion and suggestions on fireground operations...today I think that perhaps they are begining to exchange places.

What are everyones thoughts?

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-01-2007, 12:09 PM.

What are everyones thoughts?
    1) I agree

2) You'll probably get slapped by the webteam for dissing B again.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
      1) I agree

2) You'll probably get slapped by the webteam for dissing B again.

Oh you remember that....

FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
        Oh you remember that....

FTM-PTB
        I remember WWFFD? What Would Firefighter Fred Do?

I used to go right to the back of the magazine when I was subscriber. Tom Brennan could put things into terms that made sense. Not a lot of mumbo jumbo. Just a firefighter talking to firefighters. I was thinking about renewing my subscription. If the person I think took over that part of the magazine, I will opt out.
        Last edited by NYSmokey; 01-31-2007, 02:59 PM. Reason: punctuation
        Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

I still feel they put a better mag together. More on tactics, development and apparatus stuff that I can actually use. I'll keep resubbing.

Comment

Tom Brennan can not be replaced and we will probably never see anyone who comes close to his abilities based on experience and tactics. I have not been a big fan of the new back page writter, but I a going to give him a chance. Tom seemed to like him, or at least liked to argue with him. I personally liked the tactical aspect of Tom's writting (even if I had to read some of it several times before I got the point.) Let's see what happens. The magazine still puts out great tactical articles most months. Also understand that the guys writting for them sometimes are required to "change" some of there real-world writting to satisfy their legal concerns at PennWell.

Comment

just not the same anymore...

FFFRED, I couldn't agree with you more. I remember talking to Tom B. on the phone on many occasions regarding tactics, questions regarding promotion and union issues. I often told him he has to publish a book that contained ALL of his Random Thoughts through the years. He laughingly said that I wasn't the first one to mention that and all his peer have been bugging him about it for awhile. I think a book should still be assembled that contained all of his "random thoughts" just as he published them and do it in memory of his contributions to the fire service. Maybe a percentage of sales could go toward a charity that he would have wanted to contribute to within the fire service. Who knows? I do miss those articles. I saved dozens of them and often go through them on shift sometimes just as simple reminders of what we can do on a daily basis to make our tour go that much smoother. We miss you brother! God Bless!

Comment

Man, I sure do miss reading Tom Brennan's column every month, I'm another one who read every issue of FE starting at the back page. Tom had a wealth of knowledge and experience which he shared freely in a down-to-earth style.
                I too have long thought of FH as a buff magazine. In my opinion, FE is a still a better publication for the nuts and bolts, bread and butter type articles. I'll have to pay closer attention to the content issues mentioned with FE, if their editiorial standards have dropped that would be a shame.

Comment

Truly a sad turn of events for the back page of FE. But as stated above, still a few decent columns and articles on tactics from mostly decent authors with less fluff than others.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
                    Truly a sad turn of events for the back page of FE. But as stated above, still a few decent columns and articles on tactics from mostly decent authors with less fluff than others.
                    I also thought the same thing. Its not going to be the first page I read anymore.

Comment

Beside the fact that I agree with Fred-
                      What is the over/under odds on Fred getting a purple hydrant award?
                      My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                      George Mason
                      Co-author of the Second Amendment
                      during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
                      Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Originally posted by SPFDRum View Post
                        Beside the fact that I agree with Fred-
                        What is the over/under odds on Fred getting a purple hydrant award?

Well, he first has to sign up in the IACOJ...
                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Well lets make a list. Who are some people that we would enjoy or like to see on the back cover besides Bruno and his the bum in the gutter is my important customer crap. What big name instructors or lecturers do we want to hear from?
                          Real men wear kilts. www.forourfallen.org

Comment

Originally posted by GFDLT1 View Post
                            Well lets make a list. Who are some people that we would enjoy or like to see on the back cover besides Bruno and his the bum in the gutter is my important customer crap. What big name instructors or lecturers do we want to hear from?
                            For what it's worth, I'll throw a couple of names out there just to get the ball rolling -- Vincent Dunn and John Norman. Now the disclaimer: I have no idea about their personal situations, or if it's something they would be interested in doing.
                            I have subscribed to FE for over 20 years and IMO the chief from the desert is at the bottom of the list of fire chief's I want to hear from; seems to me he is the polar opposite of Tom Brennan. I think FFFRED summed it up pretty well:
                            Originally posted by FFFRED
                            How can one go from reading and learning from the real world hands on experiences and wisdom of a Capt. Tom Brennan to that of some self-promoting bueracrat who has spent his entire career trying to convince everyone he knows how to run your FD when he didn't even bother to lead his own. I'm sure Chief Bruno knows the "In-Basket and Out-Basket" really well and I imagine we could all learn alot about the finer points of putting together power point presentations or how to reload a swingline stapler...but I until now thought mags like FD and FireEng were targeted towards firemen and what they needed to know to keep themselves alive. Things that everyone could trust that Tom Brennan had done first hand a 1000 times.
                            We all knew that Tom would be dearly missed, but what a sad state of affairs.
                            Last edited by BackstepFF; 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Here ya go Smokey:

And no, it's not a Photoshop.

It's a shield from West Wauregan which is a company we merged with 12 years ago.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X