Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• willings413
    replied
    I use Crosstech Direct Grip gloves from Shelby. They have great dexterity and are very comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• crankshaft
    replied
    Bought a pair of shelby's and love em.

Had bought a set of protechs in Large non wristlet, way to small and my whole wrist was exsposed bought a Xlarge with wristlet and again way too small and tight.

A firefighter from a neighboring town got his hand cooked pretty good from radiant heat fighting a truck fire on 95 the other morning. From what I heard he was wearing the protechs.

Leave a comment:

• BlandfordFire
    replied
    We just switched to the blue/koala FDP from Shelby. We love them. Nice dexterity compared to their other models. A bit pricey at $85 pr, but we only buy them for people who are doing alot of calls, show up for drill...etc. Kinda a little bonus for hard work

Leave a comment:

• neiowa
    replied
    Was also nonsense. As I understand it, Protech certification has been confirmed and NFPA took disiplinary action towards TFG and employees of TFG who sat (formerly) on NFPA committees over their muck raking and bashing of Protech with this issue.

Protech glove has been updated and improved and is now called the Titan.

Leave a comment:

• KEEPBACK200FEET
    replied
    Originally posted by captwmfd1 View Post
    Disclaimer: While a volunteer firefighter for 20 plus years, I also work for Morning Pride (sister company of American Firewear which makes the Super Glove)

Guys, call SEI the former certifier of the ProTech 8 or NFPA....this glove is de-listed. ProTech8 website confirms same and blames a NFPA Formal Interpretation that "changes" the 1971 standard. Formal Interpretations do NOT change a standard, they establish what the Committee ALWAYS meant. Again, call NFPA for clarification of this point.
    So, please check it out before you wear these gloves in heat or fire. ProTech has a new glove coming, but per their website it is not yet available. There is no mention on the website of any recall offer. We have been very open that, in our lab, the glove did NOT appear to offer NFPA required performance levels in a number of areas. Our lab is free if you want to test our gloves or a competitors. Bottom line: find out the facts yourself but do not assume the ProTech8 is still certified.

Geez Brother, I appreciate the heads up, but at the same time it's tactics like this that have turned many of us off to TFG.

Leave a comment:

• THEFIRENUT
    replied
    Originally posted by FDNYco10 View Post
    The gloves I have are so hard to work in and have a hard time getting a good grip with them. I've also relized you get a better grip with rescue/extrication gloves. Thats what I'm most likely switching to.
    You are switching to the rescue/extrication gloves to do what type of work????

If it is for rescue/extrication, you should already have a pair for this purpose. Now if it is for structural firefighting, those gloves were not make for that purpose and you could get yourself hurt.

There are a few manufacturers that are making combination extrication/structural gloves that are becoming very popular. I have one of these, and the dexterity is quite impressive.

Leave a comment:

• FDNYco10
    replied
    The gloves I have are so hard to work in and have a hard time getting a good grip with them. I've also relized you get a better grip with rescue/extrication gloves. Thats what I'm most likely switching to.

Leave a comment:

• apshap5
    replied
    Pro-Tech 8 Certification Update

To Capt WMFD:
    -You fail to warn forum readers that "your" lab is the lab at Total Fire Group!
    -You are testing a competitors product in your own lab and rendering an
    opinion. Wow, how objective is that?
    -You are also on the West Milton, OH. FD which is where your asst chief
    happens to be Pres. of Total Fire Group. Wow how objective is that?
    -I believe you are a Total Fire Group employee, no?
    -Upon appeal on August 28, 2008 the NFPA Standards Council withdrew the
    NFPA 1971 Committee's formal interpretations (f/i's) that caused the Pro-
    Tech 8 glove to be de-certified! In this stunning ruling the Standards
    Council found the f/i's to be in error on substance and also ruled that the
    Committee itself acted improperly in it's proceedings!
    -I understand the Pres. and V.P. of Total Fire Group were recently removed
    from the NFPA 1971 Committee. A coincidence perhaps?

So Capt WFMD what OPINION do you have now? It is one thing to have an opinion about your personal experience with a piece of PPE and share it with the forum. It is entirely another thing to test a glove in a lab and state, "the glove did NOT appear to offer NFPA required performance levels in a number of areas."

This type of irresponsible commentary is truly a disgraceful disservice to all firefighters! I hope the only comments this forum ever sees from you again are an apology and that you think twice before sticking your neck out again for your employer!

Leave a comment:

• captwmfd1
    replied
    ProTech8 de-listed

Disclaimer: While a volunteer firefighter for 20 plus years, I also work for Morning Pride (sister company of American Firewear which makes the Super Glove)

Guys, call SEI the former certifier of the ProTech 8 or NFPA....this glove is de-listed. ProTech8 website confirms same and blames a NFPA Formal Interpretation that "changes" the 1971 standard. Formal Interpretations do NOT change a standard, they establish what the Committee ALWAYS meant. Again, call NFPA for clarification of this point.
    So, please check it out before you wear these gloves in heat or fire. ProTech has a new glove coming, but per their website it is not yet available. There is no mention on the website of any recall offer. We have been very open that, in our lab, the glove did NOT appear to offer NFPA required performance levels in a number of areas. Our lab is free if you want to test our gloves or a competitors. Bottom line: find out the facts yourself but do not assume the ProTech8 is still certified.

Leave a comment:

• chattfiremike
    replied
    Well the guys on the squads get a exstra pair of gloves for extrication. As far as the chiefs go i'll have to show them to the chief of the supply div. Maybe they might bight there tough everything has to be NFPA and meet a million different criteria. I'm not complaining I just wish they were a little more open to new gear.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyirons2
    replied
    Do you have a pair to show the Chiefs? What about for extrication? Do they issue a seperate pair for that? These are excellent for both specially since they have numerous layers of cut protection with the kevlar/nomex blend.

Leave a comment:

• chattfiremike
    replied
    Well i'm in the boat jafa is in if its not issue you can't wear it in my dept. We also wear those kangaroo palm leather gloves. They are great but would love to up grade to these protect gloves. Oh well I guess i'll have to keep wishing.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyirons2
    replied
    Originally posted by jrwingate6 View Post
    I purchased the pro-techs in the begining of January and have had 4 fires while on the pipe. The first 3 fires went well but the last fire I had will be the last time I wear these gloves ever again. It was a Basment fire and as soon as I started my decend into the basment I felt heat ripping thru my gloves. I then grabbed onto a wooden railing and the heat came thru to my palm instantly. I now only use these gloves for overhauling and packing hose. Also when these gloves get wet they get very soggy and the liner always seems to come out of them.
    You wear any glove short of one made of inch thick insulation and you will feel hear through them. NO GLOVE will protect you from conduction burns or heat. They may insulate you for a while but at some point you will be burned. Anything on fire is at least 450 degrees, take your oven and cook something at 450 then put on an oven mitt, within a few seconds you will feel some heat transferring through the material. I wouldnt worry about it, in fact I doubt anything else that is out there compares with them because of the amount of layers in the gloves themselves, look at fire guard commanders, they have leather and crosstech as the two parts of them, protech has 8 layers. I just got another pair so I dont have to wear my commanders even as back-ups.

Leave a comment:

• Nozzleman25
    replied
    Were using the Firemate with the Kangaroo palms adn knit cuffs. We seem to change gloves every few years. These are the best I have had in my 10 years, great dexterity and wear. Don't get all stiff and nasty if put away wet either. Our uniform officers are always willing to look at a new product if we can convince them there is better out there than we are wearing.

Leave a comment:

• JAFA62
    replied
    Ive just purchased 2 pairs of Pro Techs. They look and feel great. The problem I have is my Chief and Captain wont allow me to wear them on shift as they were not issued. This is a big deal in my Department.. If not issued you cant have it Well I guess Im gonna have to sneak it on the engine

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X