No announcement yet.

What Gloves???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I purchased the pro-techs in the begining of January and have had 4 fires while on the pipe. The first 3 fires went well but the last fire I had will be the last time I wear these gloves ever again. It was a Basment fire and as soon as I started my decend into the basment I felt heat ripping thru my gloves. I then grabbed onto a wooden railing and the heat came thru to my palm instantly. I now only use these gloves for overhauling and packing hose. Also when these gloves get wet they get very soggy and the liner always seems to come out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jrwingate6 View Post
      I purchased the pro-techs in the begining of January and have had 4 fires while on the pipe. The first 3 fires went well but the last fire I had will be the last time I wear these gloves ever again. It was a Basment fire and as soon as I started my decend into the basment I felt heat ripping thru my gloves. I then grabbed onto a wooden railing and the heat came thru to my palm instantly. I now only use these gloves for overhauling and packing hose. Also when these gloves get wet they get very soggy and the liner always seems to come out of them.
      I got word from our local dealer that they are making a 2007 compliant version that are coming out in april and suppose to have thicker palms which might have helped this.

Once I can get the money saved back up i'm going to buy some.

Comment

Glad to hear the good things about the Protechs....I'll be taking my new pair to work tommorrow. The only negative thing I have heard so far is that if the inside gets wet, they are a bit of a pain to get on and off....we'll see.
        IACOJ Member

Comment

To all:

The 2007 PT8 will feature sewn in fingertips along with current bonding. The gloves will also feature added reinforcement to the back side of the hand.

Tech Trade will also have another glove out shortly that looks to be pretty cool.

Stay safe,

rfd599

Comment

I have the Pro Techs as well. No problems as of yet (8 months) other then the fact that they are a little difficult to put on. Next set I get I am going to try one size up from current to resolve that problem. Great dexterity!! Everyone on my department I let try them wants a pair and the first question they ask is if they are NFPA compliant. Of course I say yes and now we are trying trying to get our department to switch to this glove. I don't think my department will have a problem considering it is about half the price of what they pay now.

Comment

Originally posted by rfd599 View Post
              To all:

The 2007 PT8 will feature sewn in fingertips along with current bonding. The gloves will also feature added reinforcement to the back side of the hand.

Tech Trade will also have another glove out shortly that looks to be pretty cool.

Stay safe,

rfd599
              www.IllinoisFireStore.com
              rfd599,

Do you know if the ProTechs run a size larger than most gloves? I have heard that while people might wear a size L in a certain glove, they need XL with the ProTechs. I wear a size L with the FireGuard Commanders. I also have an order waiting with your company for the gloves, which I heard will be shipped out middle of next week?

Comment

Halligan:

I have found that most (not all) have fit into one size larger as you stated. I personally, have not worn the Fire Commander, but I am one size larger from the Fire Mate that I had been wearing.

E-mail me offline and I can let you know the lead time on your gloves.

Thanks,

rfd599

Comment

Ive just purchased 2 pairs of Pro Techs. They look and feel great. The problem I have is my Chief and Captain wont allow me to wear them on shift as they were not issued. This is a big deal in my Department.. If not issued you cant have it Well I guess Im gonna have to sneak it on the engine

Comment

Were using the Firemate with the Kangaroo palms adn knit cuffs. We seem to change gloves every few years. These are the best I have had in my 10 years, great dexterity and wear. Don't get all stiff and nasty if put away wet either. Our uniform officers are always willing to look at a new product if we can convince them there is better out there than we are wearing.
                    www.portlandfirefighters.org
                    Portland Fire Pictures/Dick Harris

http://www.finsnbeasts.com

Comment

Originally posted by jrwingate6 View Post
                      You wear any glove short of one made of inch thick insulation and you will feel hear through them. NO GLOVE will protect you from conduction burns or heat. They may insulate you for a while but at some point you will be burned. Anything on fire is at least 450 degrees, take your oven and cook something at 450 then put on an oven mitt, within a few seconds you will feel some heat transferring through the material. I wouldnt worry about it, in fact I doubt anything else that is out there compares with them because of the amount of layers in the gloves themselves, look at fire guard commanders, they have leather and crosstech as the two parts of them, protech has 8 layers. I just got another pair so I dont have to wear my commanders even as back-ups.

Comment

Well i'm in the boat jafa is in if its not issue you can't wear it in my dept. We also wear those kangaroo palm leather gloves. They are great but would love to up grade to these protect gloves. Oh well I guess i'll have to keep wishing.
                        "Lead Follow Or Get Out Of The Way"

Comment

Do you have a pair to show the Chiefs? What about for extrication? Do they issue a seperate pair for that? These are excellent for both specially since they have numerous layers of cut protection with the kevlar/nomex blend.

Comment

Well the guys on the squads get a exstra pair of gloves for extrication. As far as the chiefs go i'll have to show them to the chief of the supply div. Maybe they might bight there tough everything has to be NFPA and meet a million different criteria. I'm not complaining I just wish they were a little more open to new gear.
                            "Lead Follow Or Get Out Of The Way"

Comment

ProTech8 de-listed

Disclaimer: While a volunteer firefighter for 20 plus years, I also work for Morning Pride (sister company of American Firewear which makes the Super Glove)

Guys, call SEI the former certifier of the ProTech 8 or NFPA....this glove is de-listed. ProTech8 website confirms same and blames a NFPA Formal Interpretation that "changes" the 1971 standard. Formal Interpretations do NOT change a standard, they establish what the Committee ALWAYS meant. Again, call NFPA for clarification of this point.
                              So, please check it out before you wear these gloves in heat or fire. ProTech has a new glove coming, but per their website it is not yet available. There is no mention on the website of any recall offer. We have been very open that, in our lab, the glove did NOT appear to offer NFPA required performance levels in a number of areas. Our lab is free if you want to test our gloves or a competitors. Bottom line: find out the facts yourself but do not assume the ProTech8 is still certified.

Comment

Pro-Tech 8 Certification Update

To Capt WMFD:
                                -You fail to warn forum readers that "your" lab is the lab at Total Fire Group!
                                -You are testing a competitors product in your own lab and rendering an
                                opinion. Wow, how objective is that?
                                -You are also on the West Milton, OH. FD which is where your asst chief
                                happens to be Pres. of Total Fire Group. Wow how objective is that?
                                -I believe you are a Total Fire Group employee, no?
                                -Upon appeal on August 28, 2008 the NFPA Standards Council withdrew the
                                NFPA 1971 Committee's formal interpretations (f/i's) that caused the Pro-
                                Tech 8 glove to be de-certified! In this stunning ruling the Standards
                                Council found the f/i's to be in error on substance and also ruled that the
                                Committee itself acted improperly in it's proceedings!
                                -I understand the Pres. and V.P. of Total Fire Group were recently removed
                                from the NFPA 1971 Committee. A coincidence perhaps?

So Capt WFMD what OPINION do you have now? It is one thing to have an opinion about your personal experience with a piece of PPE and share it with the forum. It is entirely another thing to test a glove in a lab and state, "the glove did NOT appear to offer NFPA required performance levels in a number of areas."

This type of irresponsible commentary is truly a disgraceful disservice to all firefighters! I hope the only comments this forum ever sees from you again are an apology and that you think twice before sticking your neck out again for your employer!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X