What Gloves???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Gloves???

I've been noticing more and more how many firefighters arent wearing gloves or are wearing rescue gloves to do structural fire work. This is one area I won't mess around with, your hands are a big part of your life, whats the reason to lose them? I'm figuring it has alot to do with FD's buying budget conscious crappy gloves that are misfitted and clunky. Whatever the case, it would be nice if we all did our part to remind each other to wear the gloves, the right ones.

Seems alot of FF's have switched to rescue gloves for dexterity and just hope they never get caught where its hot. I've had rescue gloves begin to melt just from tending to a burn drum outside on the drill ground, on a cold winter day.

Any thoughts?

Can anyone who has burned their hands speak to the importance of the right gloves?

Originally posted by MG3610 View Post
    I've been noticing more and more how many firefighters arent wearing gloves or are wearing rescue gloves to do structural fire work. This is one area I won't mess around with, your hands are a big part of your life, whats the reason to lose them? I'm figuring it has alot to do with FD's buying budget conscious crappy gloves that are misfitted and clunky. Whatever the case, it would be nice if we all did our part to remind each other to wear the gloves, the right ones.

Seems alot of FF's have switched to rescue gloves for dexterity and just hope they never get caught where its hot. I've had rescue gloves begin to melt just from tending to a burn drum outside on the drill ground, on a cold winter day.

Any thoughts?

Can anyone who has burned their hands speak to the importance of the right gloves?
    While it wasn't line of duty related, I burnt the palm of one of my hands when I younger and its an experience I never want to go through again.Your hand is basically useless until your healed. I attached a picture courtesy of firefighterclosecalls.com that shows what hands burnt in the line of duty can look like.

Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

I guess nobody else is seeing this????

Comment

Do a search of gloves. I wear Protech 8's I only wear my leather work gloves on emergencies or when im on the outside in the roof position.

Comment

Originally posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
          While it wasn't line of duty related, I burnt the palm of one of my hands when I younger and its an experience I never want to go through again.Your hand is basically useless until your healed. I attached a picture courtesy of firefighterclosecalls.com that shows what hands burnt in the line of duty can look like.

Dude......I think I can wear 2 pair now.......JEEZ!!!

Comment

I wear FireGuard Commanders which I have found to be the best glove so far. They offer great dexterity and they arn't too expensive at $57. Only problem I have is a small hole in each of the underside of the thumbs. I've had them for about a year I believe. When I get around to buying new gloves again, I'll get these again.

Comment

Eric, ditch those bad boys for the protechs. Those commanders are what we are issued in NYC. Horrible dexterity in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
                Eric, ditch those bad boys for the protechs. Those commanders are what we are issued in NYC. Horrible dexterity in comparison.
                I wouldn't say the commanders have horrible dexterity in comparison, but a few hours ago I had a chance to try on the Pro Techs....they seemed very nice. I believe they were like $50? Seems like a great value.

Comment

I use the Shelby FDP Gloves(Blue Koala/Gore kind w/o the wristlet) and I actually find them comfortable and still dextrous. But i may have to check out a pair of protechs for my next pair.
                  FireFighter/EMT
                  Rescue 1

IACOJ
                  FTM-PTB

Comment

Eric, i have been wearing those blue mittens for over 5 years. You either have severe frostbite in your hands or are a thalidomide baby. You can do surgery in the Protechs.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
                      Eric, i have been wearing those blue mittens for over 5 years. You either have severe frostbite in your hands or are a thalidomide baby. You can do surgery in the Protechs.
                      You should trying wearing the "Firemen VIII" or whatever the hell they are called for a few years. Chicago fire gloves I believe. Then switch to the commanders. It's a HUGE difference in itself. But yeah I agree the dexerity on the protechs are superior. I'll probably buy them next.

Comment

On the subject of gloves, We are looking to replace the leather mittens we currently use with something a bit more dexterity friendly. We are currently looking at 2 gloves. The Protech8 and the Chiba FlameFighter. On initial inspection, the Chiba seems much tougher and durable but at $100 the cost is twice that of the Protech. The Protech is much lighter and the nimbleness of the fingers seems greater but, it doesnt seem like it would stand up as long as the Chiba. Anyone deal with either or both of these gloves for any extended period of time? Any info or input would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by SWLAFireDawg View Post

Dude......I think I can wear 2 pair now.......JEEZ!!!
                          Post re-located to Firefighters Forum, under thread titled "Wearing Two Pairs of Gloves".
                          Last edited by BlitzfireSolo; 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

After 5 good jobs, they are fine (the protechs) My only complaint so far is the fabric has a small hole in it from a window frame. It would have probably happened regardless of if I was wearing these or leather gloves. I dry them out after overhaul and they are fine next day!

Comment

Burns to the hands

Originally posted by MG3610 View Post

Any thoughts?

There's a reason NFPA certifies structural fireifghter gloves with a vapor barrier and wrist gauntlet. I havent seen burns to the hands, but I have seen burns to the wrist just below the wrist guard on the turnout coat; all from wearing leather work gloves on interior attack because "they are more comfortable. And those approved ones are a pain-in-the a## when they get wet.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X