Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FiftyOnePride
    replied
    Pump heaters and keeping water moving. Foam adds a bit more hassle to it, but it's just a matter of keeping that water moving.

Leave a comment:

• feedtheflame
    replied
    "Water Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to Spare." Ah the wonders of -32 degree fire suppression.

Leave a comment:

• LeeJunkins
    replied
    Last week I had the perfect solution for you, (Move to Texas and get out of that cold)
    This week Willllllllll I need answers too.

Leave a comment:

• Chief2700
    replied
    Originally posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    Yep....Heretic has it right.....we operated at a structure 2 years ago for 7 hours with temps at 17 below zero. Pumps were always circulating, hoses always opened a crack to let water flow. No loss or damages to pumps, nozzles or hoses.
    Yep, and I suggest throwing some salt down by your engineer to save on injuries

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    Naw the de icer wont burn ------ we use the starting fluid for that.

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    We ran a Brush Unit out to a MVA for support for the Ambulance(-15 degrees) and even though I was moving water through my pump and tank there where dead spots on the system. We ended up spining of the nozzle and routing the hose into the tank to keep our reel from freezing, A Big pumper might pose a little bigger problem, so check your set up out before you get into a freeze up situation.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    we keep flares in the engine --- also a squirt bottle of de icer -- a torpedo heater in the service truck
    You allow all of those things within a close proximity of a bunch of firefighters? I'm seeing lighting the de-icer with the flares and using the torpedo heater (if it's what I'm thinking of) as a means of making a "afterburner" type flame.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    we keep flares in the engine --- also a squirt bottle of de icer -- a torpedo heater in the service truck -- also when you lay our nozzle down , try and lay it somewhere it wont cause a bigger mess like the storm drain or a bath tub.

Leave a comment:

• rellik74
    replied
    We did not have any problems when water was flowing. This was a rural area and when out tender arived with 3000 gallons of water the 2 1/2 suction connection was frozen, Tender valves frozen.
    At the time we had no way to thaw any of the dead end spots.

But as I set here at my desk I notice a package of road flares waiting to be put in the pumper, HUMMM . I Know what to do next Time.

Leave a comment:

• Res343cue
    replied
    Originally posted by doughesson View Post
    The engineer should know to cycle water from the tank and back through the system to keep the tank from freezing during ops.During take up,make sure to drain the pumps and piping before you roll back for coffee and donuts at the house.
    Drain the pipes and the pump? No way...

The pump casing and the water won't freeze that fast in the time it takes to get back to quarters. One fire that I remember going to in the winter, it was a 45+ minute drive back to the station...These temps were down around the zero degree mark....

Leave a comment:

• WaterbryVTfire
    replied
    Originally posted by Heretic View Post
    Keep your nozzles cracked, so water flows.

The moving water won't freeze, so that covers all three items you listed.
    Yep....Heretic has it right.....we operated at a structure 2 years ago for 7 hours with temps at 17 below zero. Pumps were always circulating, hoses always opened a crack to let water flow. No loss or damages to pumps, nozzles or hoses.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    The engineer should know to cycle water from the tank and back through the system to keep the tank from freezing during ops.During take up,make sure to drain the pumps and piping before you roll back for coffee and donuts at the house.

Leave a comment:

• Heretic
    replied
    Keep your nozzles cracked, so water flows.

The moving water won't freeze, so that covers all three items you listed.

Leave a comment:

• rellik74
    started a topic Ice

Ice

We recently had a house fire.
    Alarm 2200 hours
    outside temp -10
    clear from sceine 0300 hours
    outside temp -12

What do you do to keep things from Frezing up.
    1. Hoses
    2, Nozles
    3. Pumps
    Now i know what its like when hell frezes over

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse