X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AdamNichols
    replied
    hey bones,
    not sure if your familiar with the NJ uniform fire code, but NJAC 5:70-2.7(a)4.ii is for a type 2 permit for fumigation or thermal insect fogging..I've always interpreted that to be a "bug bomb". few if any enforce it though due to complexity...seen it more used as a penalty (or threat of) after the fumigation has set off a detection device
    Adam

Leave a comment:

• 37truck
    replied
    A friend of mine who is a truck lieutenant in the Washington Hts section of New York ran into this last year. The problem was they ended up inhaling some of the product after the fire was out and ended up sick. The moral is keep your mask on when overhauling until the place is well vented

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    i know here in jersey, you are suppose to secure a permit prior to use for any automatic fumigation device from the fire official
    Never heard anything like that before. I know it's not in any of our codes.

Had a house, across the stree from where i work, that put on under their gas oven. Boom. New oven.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Originally posted by AdamNichols View Post
    i know here in jersey, you are suppose to secure a permit prior to use for any automatic fumigation device from the fire official . it rarely happens, and is difficult to enforce at that
    I guess the penalty can include loss of your dwelling?

Leave a comment:

• DonSmithnotTMD
    replied
    I wouldn't doubt it. They're specifically mentioned in our fire prevention class.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Originally posted by fireman4949 View Post
    I remember some time ago, "Myth Busters" did a segment on this, but I honestly can't remember what their final determination was, but I know what our final determination was...
    Kevin
    That episode just re-ran last week.
    They tried several ignition sources like open flame,malfunctioning electrical outlet and a stove pilot light.
    They had to seal off half of the house to get 1,000 square feet if I remember the size right and set off more per room than the label recommends.The open flame was the one that set it all off.
    The explosion blew a sliding door off its track but didn't involve the whole house beyond easily ignited materials left behind.
    Their determination was"Plausible".

Leave a comment:

• GhostRider73
    replied
    Not sure if they still use it, but I was once told by someone in the pest business that propane was used as the propellant for these.
    Gr

Leave a comment:

• KEEPBACK200FEET
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1983 View Post
    I recall that episode. They had to run the test several times. They started with like 1-2 bombs per room, like most people would use. It wasnt till they put like a dozen in each room that they were able to get an explosion.
    They also had to up the ignition source. If I'm not mistaken didn't they have multiple sources in multiple rooms?

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    I recall that episode. They had to run the test several times. They started with like 1-2 bombs per room, like most people would use. It wasnt till they put like a dozen in each room that they were able to get an explosion.

Leave a comment:

• AdamNichols
    replied
    about four years ago we have an explosion from an apartment building. one of the tenants set off a bug bomb and left. eventually it met the perfect air ratio and blew causing alot of damage...little fire..
    i know here in jersey, you are suppose to secure a permit prior to use for any automatic fumigation device from the fire official . it rarely happens, and is difficult to enforce at that

Leave a comment:

• mcaldwell
    replied
    Yup, and there have been a lot of accounts of bug bomb fires explosions here in the forums too. A search will probably find several threads.

Leave a comment:

• KEEPBACK200FEET
    replied
    They proved that if the ignition source is big enough and there is enough fuel from the bombs that it is possible for an explosion. I just saw this episode not long ago on TV.

Leave a comment:

• djgilbert32
    replied
    if you read the instructions on the bug bombs it says to extinguish any open flames when setting them off. So it's not hard to believe.

Leave a comment:

• Firefighter2230
    replied
    We ran into the same kind of thing a few weeks ago.
    The owner of the home was older in age and not in the best mental health and had put a bug bomb onto the stove or had thrown something onto the stove which had fallen down into a trash can and caused it to go off. We later found the bug bomb can laying blown up in a nearby living room and looked like it had traveled a good 6-7ft.

And some of the older members wondered why going in without the airpacks was bad

Leave a comment:

• rescue84
    replied
    email mythbusters.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader