Best Methods for "Taking 'Up"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Methods for "Taking 'Up"

We have all trained and talked about the best methods for stretching lines. How about the best methods for taking up the line once operations are complete.

On vertical stretches is it best to walk out and down the line charged? Or, do you bleed it first in place and then drag it out?

How about methods for sub-freezing weather breakdown?

Any tricks for LDH take 'up?

Any ideas that will help us work smarter rather than harder.

Originally posted by BScott View Post
    Yeah, get some of those lazy-*** truckmen to help.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF View Post
      Yeah, get some of those lazy-*** truckmen to help.

You mean the ones that cut the roof to watch the REAL firefighters working inside?
      Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
      IAFF Local 2339
      K of C 4th Degree
      "LEATHER FOREVER"
      Member I.A.C.O.J.
      http://www.tfdfire.com/
      "Fir na tine"

Comment

Not another eng vs truck argument. Sheesh you two keep it in your pants for once.
        FireFighter/EMT
        Rescue 1

IACOJ
        FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by res1cueffd View Post
          Not another eng vs truck argument. Sheesh you two keep it in your pants for once.
          Oh great! Turn it into a "Pants vs. 3/4's" fight too, why don't you?!

Kevin
          Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
          IAFF Local 2339
          K of C 4th Degree
          "LEATHER FOREVER"
          Member I.A.C.O.J.
          http://www.tfdfire.com/
          "Fir na tine"

Comment

You kids sit down and shut up back there, or well turn this thread around right now!

As for the question:

1. Normal handlines and 2 1/2 are broken in 100 foot sections and the water drained by walking them out.

2. In freezing weather, the unused but charged lines are left to flow a small amount to prevent freeze-up.

3. LDH is picked up by a rolling take-up. We center the emtpy hose in the road (or off to one side or the other), and drive along picking it up and packing as we go.
            Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by BScott View Post
              We have all trained and talked about the best methods for stretching lines. How about the best methods for taking up the line once operations are complete.

On vertical stretches is it best to walk out and down the line charged? Or, do you bleed it first in place and then drag it out?

How about methods for sub-freezing weather breakdown?

Any tricks for LDH take 'up?

1. I like to bleed it then take it out, but it just depends on if you have a lot of hose inside or not. If you don't have a lot of hose in it doesn't hurt to drag it out it all depends how motivated you are.

2. In freezing weather it really doesn't matter what you do. We run rubber hose and usually spray it off and load it right back on the truck but if its freezing out we have to take it back to the station.

3. LDH we have a handy Roll-N-Rack it works well except it doesn't roll up the hose, it does a good job draining the hose and is good for loading the hose back on the truck. Usually we straddle the hose and load it back on the truck if it is'nt to dirty or what not.

4. Get yourself a white helmet then you won't have to worry about this.(just kidding)

Comment

Taking Up

Originally posted by dday05 View Post
                1. I like to bleed it then take it out, but it just depends on if you have a lot of hose inside or not. If you don't have a lot of hose in it doesn't hurt to drag it out it all depends how motivated you are.

2. In freezing weather it really doesn't matter what you do. We run rubber hose and usually spray it off and load it right back on the truck but if its freezing out we have to take it back to the station.

3. LDH we have a handy Roll-N-Rack it works well except it doesn't roll up the hose, it does a good job draining the hose and is good for loading the hose back on the truck. Usually we straddle the hose and load it back on the truck if it is'nt to dirty or what not.

4. Get yourself a white helmet then you won't have to worry about this.(just kidding)
                Ten thousand comedians out of work. Don't quit your DAY job, get it.

Comment

best way of takeing up

get into a squad or rescue company.when the fires out and your released just take up no racking hose 10 -8 and available for the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by HEYVERN View Post
                    I don't know, maybe you should explain it to me!( just kidding) I'll take your advice as I like my job. Whats your method of taking up hose?? You forgot to mention anything about the original post. Just remember, to do as the Chief or as in your case the Asst. Chief says.Get it?(inside joke)Take care!
                    Last edited by dday05; 01-01-2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I don't know, maybe you should explain it to me!( just kidding) I'll take your advice as I like my job. Whats your method of taking up hose?? You forgot to mention anything about the original post. Just remember, to do as the Chief or as in your case the Asst. Chief says.Get it?(inside joke)Take care!
                      I prefer the first three methods you described in your post. Although the fourth method sounds good too but I'm from the old school, Lead by example.

Comment

I prefer the first three methods you described in your post. Although the fourth method sounds good too but I'm from the old school, Lead by example.
                        What do you think I do??

Comment

What do you think I do??
                          Not implying anything, relax.

Comment

Not implying anything, relax.

I'll remember that.Take care. Is it cold where you're at yet?

Comment

This IS his day job.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X