Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tools to the roof?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tools to the roof?

    Hi All!

    I was looking over our truck the other day and got to thinking about a way to have a all the basic tools you need to take to the roof bundled together. I'm sure alot of depts. do this so I have 2 questions; what tools do you need and how do you keep them together?
    Our response area is mostly residential. all types 2.5 story wf, bungalows, new construction etc. we also have industrial and 3 story ordinary const.
    I was thinking about having:
    universal hook 6-8'
    sledge or maul
    rope bag
    halligan
    We already have a soft tool bag that we take to the roof of industrial bldgs (HVAC etc.)
    any input is appreciated

  • #2
    Standard Tool Set here:

    Residental (2-3 man crew):
    Chainsaw, Pickhead Axe, 3' Pike, handlight for each member

    Commercial (minimum 3 man crew):
    Partner Saw, Halligan, Pickhead Axe, 6' Pike, handlight for each member
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

    Comment


    • #3
      Our Roofman.....
      -Halligan Hook
      -Halligan
      -150' Life Saving Rope or Saw (depending on fire location and 1st or 2nd Due Truck, and size/type of building)

      Our Roofmen DO NOT go to roof in peaked -roof private dwellings.
      Last edited by MattyJ; 12-31-2006, 11:43 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Matty ...

        Out of curiousity, why do you not vent private-dwelling peaked-roofs?
        Train to fight the fires you fight.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
          Matty ...

          Out of curiousity, why do you not vent private-dwelling peaked-roofs?

          We do vent peaked roof PDs. We just don't get on the roof to do so.
          IACOJ Member

          Comment


          • #6
            Vinnie is this done from the tower bucket ?
            IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
              Vinnie is this done from the tower bucket ?

              If the roof needs to be cut yes. But it would have to be real good attic fire that is preventing the engine from making a push, but in my area, it is non-existant to rare. Most of the time, venting windows, pulling the louvers and soffets are enough and a good aggressive engine company getting water on the fire is all that is needed.
              IACOJ Member

              Comment


              • #8
                Let me clairify. We do not routinly vent peaked roof private dwellings. I've only been to one job in a "Queen Anne" where the roof was vented (and thats only because the fire was under the roof itself). If we do need to vent a peaked roof, it is done from a Tower Ladder bucket.

                As for why we dont routinly vent peaked roof private dwellings, it isnt necessary unless there is fire directly under it. The vast majority of jobs in NYC that occur in peaked roof PD's, are handled with simple horizontal ventilation and quick knock down. The procedures were developed years ago and it was felt the roofman could be put to better use (at these types of buildings) if he was used to search the bedrooms on the upper floor from the outside, so this is how he is used. The time to vent a peaked roof was seen as a waste in relation to the benefits it produced, when the fire was not directly under it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  peaked roofs

                  and in ny city bye the time the brothers get that roof vented the brothers in the engine usualy have the fire knocked down.fact.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    anyone interested in reading why we (FDNY)do not vent peaked roofs, see my numerous posts in the firefighting forum under videos. I explained it sixteen ways to Sunday.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Why doesn't FDNY cut peaked roofs???
                      I am a complacent liability to the fire service

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FireMedic7 View Post
                        Hi All!

                        I was looking over our truck the other day and got to thinking about a way to have a all the basic tools you need to take to the roof bundled together. I'm sure alot of depts. do this so I have 2 questions; what tools do you need and how do you keep them together?
                        Our response area is mostly residential. all types 2.5 story wf, bungalows, new construction etc. we also have industrial and 3 story ordinary const.
                        I was thinking about having:
                        universal hook 6-8'
                        sledge or maul
                        rope bag
                        halligan
                        We already have a soft tool bag that we take to the roof of industrial bldgs (HVAC etc.)
                        any input is appreciated

                        You tool selection should be determined by the type of building your operating on top of. If I am thinking correctly your department is a pretty small career FD. How many guys are you sending to the roof?

                        Also, if your not using a power saw to vent with, the engine is going to take a beating pushing in, while you're trying to accomplish sufficent ventilation. If most of your jobs are in PD's. They will probably knock the fire down before you even get the hole opened up. With limited manpower you're going to have a greater effect on the outcome with proper horizontal ventilation at most fires.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Get Nate on this one. He can explain it from both sides.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 37truck View Post
                            Get Nate on this one. He can explain it from both sides.

                            My explaination was'nt good enough for you?? Sheesh!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ChicagoFF View Post
                              Why doesn't FDNY cut peaked roofs???

                              Because it's a waste of manpower

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X