How do you pick who does what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
    You are confusing the concept without context...let me see if I can offer some context to help you understand.

If you are in the Engine 1st 2nd or 3rd Due...you won't be grabing the Irons as that isn't a position in the Engine...the Irons is a Ladder Co. position. Here they are:

-Engine-
    Officer
    ECC-MPO-Engine Co. Chauffeur-Motor Pump Operator
    Nozzle man
    Back-Up man
    Door man
    Control man

-Ladder-
    Officer
    LCC- Ladder Co. Chauffeur
    Irons man
    Can man
    Roof man
    OVM- Outside Vent Man

If you are in a Ladder Co. you will NEVER need to grab the nozzle and likewise 99.9% of the time no Engine man will need the Irons.

If you are the Irons man on Ladder 20 and you are a Fast Truck you are still bringing your Irons along with the other few tools required by the FAST Truck as is every member of the Ladder Co. who will be bringing their normally assigned tools. I don't understand why as a member of your RIG you wouldn't bring a set of Irons if that is what was assigned to you for that tour.

If you are the 2nd Due Engine and are supplying another Engine in a relay, you are still whatever you were assigned that tour...nozzle, door control...etc. That doesn't mean you only can grab the nozzle. In fact when we are to perform an In-line pumping stretch in a 4 man Engine the Back up man becomes the hose man and the ECC controls the stretch until the Control man returns from his duties as the hydrant man.

I hope that clears some things up.

FTM-PTB

OK...I think Ive got it now. And now I have the answer to my original question. What I had forgotten about is the fact that your engines only do engine work and trucks only do truck work. Im sure you recall we have thoese silly quints so here its not so cut and dry.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1983 View Post
      OK...I think Ive got it now. And now I have the answer to my original question. What I had forgotten about is the fact that your engines only do engine work and trucks only do truck work. Im sure you recall we have thoese silly quints so here its not so cut and dry.
      Yeah Quints.....yakkk. Sorry I had to purge myself after saying that word!

Our Squads which in some respects are like your quints share both Engine and Truck Duties. They each have a Engine and a Ladder/Squad Position.

If they show up and stretch a line there is a guy who is assigned to the Back-Up, Control..etc. and should they put to work as a Squad(similar to a Ladder in theory) they have those assignments as well.

Just something to think about.

PS- Just Say No to Quints!

FTM-PTB

Comment

My vol company does things very similar to Bones. To avoid confusion in a volunteer setting we have the seats in the rear numbered which correspond to the position. Training for all positions is completed during the probationary period although we strongly discourage and sometimes reassign junior personnel (not junior firefighters) from riding OV or Roof as they are best left to members with more experience. We reinforce the concept during drills, meetings and duty crew nights by assigning everyone at the start of the shift to a position on the riding board. When we only have enough for 2 crews we man an engine and the truck crew either takes the TL or Rescue as appropriate.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X