Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALSfirefighter
    replied
    Where I am at these are just called apartment buildings. We mostly call "garden style" apartments with a similiar layout, however the middle staircase is open and made often of combustible pressure treated lumber.

If I could take a picture of a complex where I am at, exactly same layout, look etc. You would think it was the same building with the only exception being the type of glass in the common area entrance.

If they saved some apartments kudos to them. These fires are extremely difficult to control when they occupy the cockloft area and the ones we have do not have any fire stops or barriers. I have seen where the first arriving engine has pulled the first line to the broken out sliding glass door of the 1st floor apartment. He did confirm the apartment door was closed to the common area, however we did have some discussion during the incident critique about this tactic due to we had yet determined if any civilian occupants were trapped in the bedroom areas. The second line was taken to the second floor apartment for extinguishment there when we realized fire had vented out the back bedroom windows and extended into the cockloft. The 2nd due truck immediately began to aggressively try to trench cut the peak roof ahead of the fire and contain it to the section of units being the involved units were a group of 4 on the D side end. Good thinking by an experienced operations officer with 2 1/2" made a stand, some of the other units we wer in took some water damage however the trench helped, getting water into the attic space while the trench was trying to be completed helped to slow the advance. The trench was never completed on the the rear peak section but it helped enough and we ended up losing 4 total units, vs. 16

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    It's too bad about the mother and infant..but these things do happen.
    As far as the 40 displaced that's also a shame, but they're [I]alive [I].
    While considerably damaged the building looks as though it can be repaired.

Leave a comment:

• BackstepFF
    replied
    Len:
    Well, actually, one mother and infant were flown to a regional trauma center with smoke inhalation; 40 people homeless;1.5 million in damage and 16 units heavily damaged or destroyed by fire.

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    Holy Crap !!!!!
    Didn't see the roof shot in the earlier post. Well, some plywood, some tarpaper......

Leave a comment:

• firefighter7160
    replied
    Garden Apartments?

Dident that name come from the Houston Area during the 60'S AND 70'S. The apartments that were made in record speed, No fire codes and Built to burn. Ive been to Houston and have seen these apartments. They take up a large area. Have 100 to 300 units. Built in a square, and has a Garden in the middle. From the photo above that dont look like a true Garden Apartment. All other apartments are just apartments. Looks like they did a good job. If its a true Garden Apartment and they saved some units.....WOW..... Most fires in a true Garden Apartment go the High Alarms, as the fire burns through the attic, with no fire walls.

www.PineBluffFire.com
    "BEST IN THE SOUTH"
    Last edited by firefighter7160; 12-15-2006, 05:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BackstepFF
    replied
    ChicagoFF: Here a "garden apartment" means a low-rise, generally two to four story, building set back off the street in such a way as to have a lawn or "garden" area for the tenants. The buildings typically have four apartments per floor off a central stairwell and are often connected to similar attached buildings to form rows of two to four buildings. They can be brick or frame constructed, flat or pitched roof. In the D.C. Metro area, they were mostly built from Post WWII to the mid 60's to provide affordable housing. Years ago the late Prof. Francis Brannigan described them as the ghettos of the future and he wasn't far off the mark.

johnny46: Pitched roof.

SPFDRum: This wasn't my department; a small city to our east, so all you armchair QB's feel free, I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth later. That's how we learn or hopefully, educate others.

A couple of more shots:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	farragutct03.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1970118

Name:	farragut04.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1970119

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    Line going in the patio door instead of a window.
    Fire's out...building saved.
    No one hurt.
    Well done.
    Last edited by len1582; 12-15-2006, 05:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SPFDRum
    replied
    Was it out when you left? If it was, you did fine. But no worries, your pictures will get shredded soon by all the arm chair quarterbacks.
    Like chicago, our garden discription is about the same. The 1st floor windows are just above grade.

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    Pitched roof?

Leave a comment:

• ChicagoFF
    replied
    Thats not what we mean here when we say garden apt. Here a garden is half below, half above grade, so you would go down a few stairs to enter it.

Leave a comment:

• BackstepFF
    replied
    A wide shot from later on in the fire:

Name:	farragut ct.JPG
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1970117

Leave a comment:

• BackstepFF
    started a topic Garden Apartment

Garden Apartment

Let's critique this one: Tuesday, 9:30 AM; fire in an occupied multiple dwelling/garden apartment type as shown. The main building entrance and central stairwell is on the far right of the photo. To the left, where the hose is being operated, is the patio door to the apartment of origin on the first floor. What do you think of this operation?

Name:	farragut ct exhibit A.JPG
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1981966

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader