X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeeJunkins
    replied
    Originally posted by LCFD302 View Post
    Has anyone used or had any experience with using a piercing nozzle on car fires?
    A piercing nozzle works great on a car fire if the department has one, most do not.
    Be very careful where you drive it, if you are using one on newer cars, many have trunk mounted batteries, some have airbag canisters mount in the front portion of the quarter panel (VW Jetta), some have batteries on both sides under the hood, some under the rear seat, and of coarse who wants to be the first to drive one through the center of the hood and your buddies find out that there was a hybrid invertor with three 450 volt capacitors in there that took you out.

But they are great if you are careful, Not opening the hood or trunk lid allows for extremely good steam conversion, the best extingusher we have.

Leave a comment:

• JHR1985
    replied
    to get sorta back on topic.... this month's firehouse has an article about hydrochloric acid and car fires. Mentions how smoke can be full of it from a car fire.

So... dont stand next to a car on fire. Seems simple to me

Leave a comment:

• Res343cue
    replied
    UH HELLO.....

If you dolts would just "stop at green lights", you wouldn't have to put the fire out. The car would be on the wrecker by the time you get there.

Leave a comment:

• LCFD302
    replied
    piercing nozzles for car fires

Has anyone used or had any experience with using a piercing nozzle on car fires?

Leave a comment:

• JHR1985
    replied
    You don't have your own proximity suit?They "only" run $2500 in the Galls catalog
    No no no

I just wear one of those anti-bear attack suits that Homer Simpson invented underneath my 3 layers of PPE that I wear to protect me.

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Originally posted by JHR1985 View Post
    Well.... I guess my Kevlar supported PPE with my under armour flak jacket would shield me a little bit.
    Or... I could just wear two hoods.... that should do it.
    But just think..... if that trunk had a gas tank in it... how much more "protection" i would have it i had my full bunkers on compared to 3/4's.....
    whew... stirring the pot
    You don't have your own proximity suit?They "only" run $2500 in the Galls catalog.

Leave a comment:

• Lewiston2Capt
    replied
    Well.... I guess my Kevlar supported PPE with my under armour flak jacket would shield me a little bit.

But just think..... if that trunk had a gas tank in it... how much more "protection" i would have it i had my full bunkers on compared to 3/4's.....

whew... stirring the pot

Congratulations you get the big spoon award!
    Last edited by Lewiston2Capt; 01-08-2007, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LeeJunkins
    replied

That' s Cold !!!

Leave a comment:

• JHR1985
    replied
    What if there was a hydrogen bomb in the trunk and you were only 100 yards away? What if it was a midget with a machine gun?

whew... stirring the pot

Leave a comment:

• ChicagoFF
    replied
    Holy crap I was in like a two hour lecture because of crap like this.

Got brought up what if the trunk was full of oxygen or acetylene bottles and you were next to it when it blew up.....

but wait... why would I be standing right next to a car when it was burning?
    What if there was a hydrogen bomb in the trunk and you were only 100 yards away? What if it was a midget with a machine gun?

Leave a comment:

• JHR1985
    replied
    I just stand out of the smoke, how about you?
    Holy crap I was in like a two hour lecture because of crap like this.

Got brought up what if the trunk was full of oxygen or acetylene bottles and you were next to it when it blew up.....

but wait... why would I be standing right next to a car when it was burning?

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhacker
    replied
    Thanks feller's

Leave a comment:

• SWLAFireDawg
    replied
    As an industrial fire fighter I am well aware of how pressurized vessels respond in fire conditions. However, I never considered that I would dealing with pressured cylinders very often when I joined the volunteer department half a year ago. The department is pretty small, and training is sporadic and hard to come by, so this thread has really opened my eyes around the hazards of vehicle fires.

I especially liked the power point presentations from

http://www.airbagsystems.org/id1.html

and plan on sending the link to the chief in hopes of seeing it again at future training. The other info shared in the thread is really helpful as well, and I'll store it all in this huge memory database I am having to keep in my head......

Leave a comment:

• bobcoop06
    replied
    Originally posted by EFD840 View Post
    Never seen that one, are they as much fun as gas grill propane cylinders in the trunk?
    About as fun as pulling up an a Mazda something-or-another and attempting to gain access to the engine through the hood (which happened to be the trunk) and putting your axe head through a 5 gallon gas can stashed in there. Kinda makes you jump a little...

Another little tip I picked up in a training session not too long ago is that when you knock out a headlight housing, it usually* creates a nice little hole (sometimes theres more metal back there) thats perfect for sticking a nozzle in. It takes practice, but it's better than opening the hood and having that **** flare up in your face!

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    [QUOTE=sts060;750328]Why, you call in a bigger plane if course....

Here you go.

Should probably take care of your average minivan, no?

QUOTE]

Naw,better get a C-5 or -17 tricked out as an aerial tanker for the job.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X