Auto Fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by res1cueffd View Post
    just had to post this video i came across that just shows why we need full PPE and SCBA on car fires.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yqlgb1w62o
    That was a pretty minor one too.

There was an excellent story linked on here a year or so ago about some career guys who were severely burned after the gas tank flashed on them. the car had flat front tires at the time with the front end on the ground, so the entire fireball was directed out from under the back end of the car and right over the hose team.

Pretty graphic shots of the nozzleman's burns to his face and hands. I don't think he was able to return to the job.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

I think the major points have been covered. The main thing I can reiterate is that in the absence of a life-hazard most auto-fires are simply rolling trash fires. Most of the time the car is totalled well before we get there. If life-hazard has been discounted, then take the time to make sure the crew is protected. Most car fires occur on highways, position the apparatus accordingly.

Also:
      Set up correct ICS on arrival. The crew on the first-in Engine should be assigned Command, Operations, Logicistics, and Rehab. The second-in should pick up Divison A, B, and C Safety as well as Wedding Planner. The Truck should be specifically assigned to interact with NJSP, but make sure your chief has bail money first (He can get it from Logisitics). Once correct ICS has been set up, call in mutual aid to man the line.
      So you call this your free country
      Tell me why it costs so much to live
      -3dd

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
        I just stand out of the smoke, how about you?

FTM-PTB

Watch the bumpers,too.Most newer designs have shock absorbing bumpers that will fail when exposed to heat.There are numerous intances of FFs getting literally cut off at the knees when that happens.
        The last fire I responded to before leaving my volunteer department was a car fire,three of us got there in 5 minutes and the flames had not extended into the passenger cabin.If I remember right,the wind was coming from rear to front so that may have had a bearing in that.The temps were 12 that day w/o counting the windchill.
        Though we were taught to use 2% foam,the LT was on the pump panel didn't run anything but straight water,so that's what we sprayed.
        As mentioned above,the damage was limited to the engine compartment,hood and fender panels and the motor was a loss.
        We used the Amkus spreaders to open the hood for mopping up.Don't ask me why,I had a hallegan in hand when I piled off and had a purchase point under the latch when the tool was broken out.
        I would use SCBA though,even if I didn't there.There's all sorts of mesobutylbadstuffs in cars and anything else that we see on fire so it's better to have to refill a cylinder than to taste that stuff for days afterwards and later have to file out workman's comp because of what you inhaled.
        Using foam,I was shown how to spray underneath the vehicle before attacking the fire.It covers the petroleum leakage and keeps it from joining the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson View Post
          There are numerous intances of FFs getting literally cut off at the knees when that happens.
          I only know of 1 true one that happened over a dozen years ago. Do you have information on others as to this actually happening?
          "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
            I only know of 1 true one that happened over a dozen years ago. Do you have information on others as to this actually happening?
            bones,

check out sceneoftheaccident.com . there is a video of a car fire that blew the front bumper off and it took out the firefighter standing in front of it.

http://www.sceneoftheaccident.org/do...OCK%20EXPL.MPG
            Last edited by cityfire7; 12-20-2006, 04:24 PM. Reason: added link
            Stupid People.......Providing Job Security to Public Safety Professionals for ........forever

Comment

An airpack would not have mattered in that case.
              As far as someone wanting to call in an air drop, what if the plane crashes???

Comment

Quote:
                Originally Posted by firemedic2611
                Why do cars burn up and houses burn down?
                --------------------------------------------------------

THAT ONLY HAPPENS AROUND HERE. DOWN IN AUSTRALIA, CARS BURN DOWN AND HOUSES BURN UP!

Comment

Originally posted by ehs7554 View Post
                  As far as someone wanting to call in an air drop, what if the plane crashes???

Why, you call in a bigger plane if course....
                  Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Comment

Why, you call in a bigger plane if course....

Here you go.

Should probably take care of your average minivan, no?

Our county SOP is full gear and SCBA, and I believe in it. It may not be possible to keep out of the smoke, and I see no point in breathing in vaporized car if I don't have to. And it helps you get in close to open stuff up to get at the fire, without chancing a magnesium flash or whatever. (Plus, the car may be almost automatically totalled, but there may be things in it you can save that really matter to the car's owner.)

Comment

Originally posted by sts060 View Post
                      but there may be things in it you can save that really matter to the car's owner.)
                      Like the crow bar and jack!

Comment

Pull up....stretch...attack from the "un-smokey" side....hit it with a straight stream first to knock it down, move in and open the pattern as you get close...sweep the ground...cool the bumpers and wheels. Pretty simple stuff. Make sure you open the hood and trunk.....pack the hose and go home. If you want to wear SCBA, thats fine, knock yourself out.....can't remember the last time I did, also can't remeber that last time I was ever in the smoke of an auto fire either.
                        Now that right there is your nuts in a shell.

Approach is 80 % of the fight. The fire is the other 20%.

Um, yup, that added up to 100. Any knober that says 110% is playing with something. And it isn't maths.
                        Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
                        Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Comment

Discounting the sarcastic posts, there is a lot of good info in this thread. I'd just recap the very important points:

- Wear ALL of your PPE & SCBA
                          - Consider the vehicle on fire a dumpster on wheels - it's junk
                          - Control traffic
                          - Approach from 45 degree angles
                          - Chock the wheels, stay on your feet (we had a "close call" with a standard-shift car; the starter engaged while guys were forcing the hood, and the parking brake didn't hold - it chased them down the street for about 10-15 feet!)
                          If things go bad (i.e. gas tank fails, propane vents, etc.) leave yourself a way out!

Stay safe....
                          R.A. Ricciuti
                          Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post

From a firefighter survival and escape course I took a year and a half ago that had a three or four instances of it happening.I THINK,and we know what happens when I do that,that there was a website as a source.I'll find the handouts and get it to you when I can.
                            The instructor also showed a picture of a window support from an SUV that had failed and was drivien through the leg of someone's bunker pants,fortunately missing the FF's leg.
                            From war stories by older members,a bumper blowing out had happened three times at my old department.No one was hurt at any of them because the officer on scene is the type that doesn't let anyone get up front of any burning vehicles.

Comment

I remember a website, I want to say something like airbagdoctor or something similar that listed dozens of "incidents". Problem was, none of them were real. They were "war stories" that got very embellished. I was just curious if anyone knew of any other actual incidents of this occurring. I honestly believe it's an extremely rare thing.
                              "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Though they seem to be few and far between there is alot more incidents than we hear about, remember we are mocho men, if it wasn't real bad it will not be reported.
                                These are all true and proven,http://www.airbagsystems.org/id1.html

http://www.midsouthrescue.org/id14.html"]www.midsouthrescue.org/id18.html"]http://www.airbagsystemshttp://www.midsouthrescue.org/id13.html.org/id1.html[/URL][/URL]
                                Last edited by LeeJunkins; 12-26-2006, 01:53 PM.
                                http://www.midsouthrescue.org
                                Is it time to change our training yet ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...