Auto Fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flood the car.

Use the deck gun. Then you dont have to pack up or wear turnouts. LOL....

Comment

To assist with flooding the vehicle, first push it into a dumpster. That will control some of the water runoff.
      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
        To assist with flooding the vehicle, first push it into a dumpster. That will control some of the water runoff.
        LOL...............................

Comment

Bushwhacker:

You have all the materials you need by having the cars. If you have several cars you can go over how to access the engine compartment and trunk space first by demonstrating it prior to having live fire.

Firefighter1962 hit many of my points I thought of also. We preach on a state and county instructor level of wearing SCBA's. Wind shifts and things can go wrong and sooner or later you will have to get close to the vehicle. No need to expose yourself to unwarranted toxins that we know what is there. I know many who still do not and I do not judge but my department requires SCBA in our respiratory protection policy.

With prying open the hood, its important to stress to do it in weak areas of the hood, usually the front corners by a person with a halligan. Bury the pike end in and pry pack and remind them its a car that is on fire to put their strength into it. Once it is opened enough to get the nozzle in, as stated a fog will extinguish most of it. You can either attempt at this point to use the fork end of the halligan to twist the cable for the hood latch or if you are not on the side or cannot reach it, you can then have your iron person go to the front and attempt access through the front grill in the same manner. Ensure that when exposed to the front the nozzle is still open on fog to cool down any potential bumpers or struts that could still pose a hazard.

If you have any other questions PM me and I will assist you best I can.

Comment

Dont forget 2 in-2 out.
            Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
            RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
            Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

I love how these threads about such a simple and very much regular part of the job turns into a sarcasm fest......

my serious answer: Full PPE and SCBA, stretch a trash line open the hood and drown it, or if you want to use less water use some foam, works wonders on the MAGNESIUM in a lot of vehicles. Thats why i like having my ppe on, if the magnesium flashes up i like having something between me and it.

my not serious answer: Just call the tower to deal with it, they can stay clear of the smoke by being 50' over the car.
              FireFighter/EMT
              Rescue 1

IACOJ
              FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by res1cueffd View Post
                my not serious answer: Just call the tower to deal with it, they can stay clear of the smoke by being 50' over the car.
                Wouldn't two towers be better? One might breakdown or be delayed while stopping at green lights.

Seriously, remind your students about traffic safety. People in cars watching the smoke will not see your firefighters.
                Last edited by KenNFD1219; 12-16-2006, 04:40 PM.
                -------------------
                "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                -----------------------------------------------
                Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

Usually, when someone reports a car fire.. they forget to tell you the car is in the garage or parked right next to the house!
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Hola EL Capitan. Our dispatchers moreoften than not get that info from the caller and relay it to us. This may prompt a full alarm to the call if it is next to or inside the structure.

Comment

Usually, when someone reports a car fire.. they forget to tell you the car is in the garage or parked right next to the house!
                      And that the trunk is full of acetylene and oxygen bottles.
                      Member IACOJ

Comment

Originally posted by ehs7554 View Post
                        Hola EL Capitan. Our dispatchers moreoften than not get that info from the caller and relay it to us. This may prompt a full alarm to the call if it is next to or inside the structure.
                        Wish we still dispatched are companies. Stoped it in 97, Firefighters got the best info from the caller...........The police dept. now has that job. They cant even tell us whats on fire,(House, Car, Grass, Gymshorts)... Yes, Gymshorts...

Comment

question.....

Originally posted by jasper45 View Post
                          Yes, but only after you respond with no lights or siren. After all, it's only a car that's burning, and there is no life hazard, so there is no need to get there in a timely manner.
                          Why do cars burn up and houses burn down?

Comment

Originally posted by ThNozzleman View Post
                            And that the trunk is full of acetylene and oxygen bottles.
                            Never seen that one, are they as much fun as gas grill propane cylinders in the trunk?

Comment

Originally posted by firemedic2611 View Post
                              Why do cars burn up and houses burn down?
                              A building burns up before it burns down.

My second or third day as a full time firefighter, we were dispatched to a car fire. Just after we signed on, the dispatcher called and said the car was in the garage. A minute later, he called to say the garage was under the house.
                              Last edited by KenNFD1219; 12-18-2006, 05:15 PM.
                              -------------------
                              "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
                              -----------------------------------------------
                              Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Comment

just had to post this video i came across that just shows why we need full PPE and SCBA on car fires.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yqlgb1w62o
                                FireFighter/EMT
                                Rescue 1

IACOJ
                                FTM-PTB

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse