Auto Fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Fires

I am planing on doing a training session on the proper attack method of car fires, this is a planned live burn. With the Cars gutted of Drive-train, and gas tanks of course. However i am afraid that i do not have enough material to teach the class. Our department is very young, and the number of people trained is very few so I want to make sure that I teach them the correct methods.
    I have downloaded the drill here from firehouse, Could you please share with me your insight, thoughts, and experiences. Also I would appreacate a eval. of the Drill, if it is enough to teach this class with.

P.S. Please forgive the spelling and gramar, mistakes.
    Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

I haven’t read the drill that you are referring to, however I’m happy to share a few of thing that we do

• Full SCBA & PPE of course
    • We use 1% class A foam initially, and dial it back to .2% to mop up for better penetration.
    • Unless a vehicle has been extinguished by the driver or other citizens in the first 30 seconds to a minute, 99.9999% of time they’re a write-off. I’m only interested in life safety issues including the crew. Most of the time it’s risk nothing to save nothing mode. Approach safely, and get traffic under control.
    • Try to determine fuel tank location & type. Propane could be really nasty.
    Approach from 45° angles. Approaching straight on from the front/rear/sides has hazards. For example loaded bumpers with shock absorbers can come off like a rocket. Generally you’ll see more loaded bumpers in modern European cars, and hardly any in modern American & Japanese models, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. You will see loaded bumpers in several 1970’s and early 80’s cars. Another reason for an angled approach is gas struts used in many mini-vans, hatchbacks, and engine compartments. They have been known to heat up and fire the chrome shaft out like a spear. We were fighting a fire of a tour bus once, and the whole rear outside duel tire blew off and flew approx 15 ft. I guess a common thread here is pressure vessels.
    • Upon my approach I like to give the vehicle a quick sweep underneath to put out that fire and clear the debris from there.
    • If it’s fully involved or past the halfway point towards the rear, I like to take care of the gas tank area first and get it under control. Quite a few of today’s gas tanks are made of plastic and when they let go there gets to be a lot of fire. Once again that’s why I like to get a good shot underneath in the gas tank region from a distance.
    • Generally most vehicle fires originate in the engine compartment. To gain access, I like to take a hooligan tool and pry the hood open from the side, enough to get a narrow fog stream in there and create some steam.
    • The trunk can have anything in it, exercise caution.

Stay Safe

Comment

Do you really need to wear your mask and full ppe for an auto?
      I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF

I just stand out of the smoke, how about you?

FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED
          I just stand out of the smoke, how about you?

FTM-PTB
          I do prefer to stand on the smart side!

Comment

Yes, but only after you respond with no lights or siren. After all, it's only a car that's burning, and there is no life hazard, so there is no need to get there in a timely manner.

Comment

Originally posted by jasper45
              Yes, but only after you respond with no lights or siren. After all, it's only a car that's burning, and there is no life hazard, so there is no need to get there in a timely manner.
              Do you smell ten, too?

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
                Let's not forget setting up the PPV fan and setting up the RIC.

Comment

Originally posted by jasper45
                  And stopping for green lights...don't forget that.

Comment

What is the proper NIMS form for Automobile fires?

FTM-PTB

Comment

FTM-PTB
                      If your auto fire is in an underground parking garage, what division would the attack group be?

Comment

Originally posted by TurdFergeson
                        If your auto fire is in an underground parking garage, what division would the attack group be?

Wouldn't that be a "Sub" Division?

FTM-PTB

Comment

FTM-PTB
                          ICS 200 CAR

Unoriginal I know but its the best I could come up with on short notice!
                          Shawn M. Cecula
                          Firefighter
                          IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Wouldn't that be a "Sub" Division?

FTM-PTB

Of course, but under what sector?

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
                              I am planing on doing a training session on the proper attack method of car fires, this is a planned live burn. With the Cars gutted of Drive-train, and gas tanks of course. However i am afraid that i do not have enough material to teach the class. Our department is very young, and the number of people trained is very few so I want to make sure that I teach them the correct methods.
                              I have downloaded the drill here from firehouse, Could you please share with me your insight, thoughts, and experiences. Also I would appreacate a eval. of the Drill, if it is enough to teach this class with.

P.S. Please forgive the spelling and gramar, mistakes.
                              Pull up....stretch...attack from the "un-smokey" side....hit it with a straight stream first to knock it down, move in and open the pattern as you get close...sweep the ground...cool the bumpers and wheels. Pretty simple stuff. Make sure you open the hood and trunk.....pack the hose and go home. If you want to wear SCBA, thats fine, knowck yourself out.....can't remember the last time I did, also can't remeber that last time I was ever in the smoke of an auto fire either.
                              IACOJ Member

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X