• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubWay1 View Post
    sooo, nobody uses webbing?
    for what? bail out? harnessses what?

Comment

[Originally Posted by Nine3Probie
      Another question regarding this system. Maybe a silly one...but as I've always said, the only silly questions are the ones that go un-asked. Here it goes...

IIRC, NFPA says that "Life safety rope" is a one time use...then must be relegated to use as a utility rope. Should a FF need to use this system, will they/the department need to purchase a whole replacement "set?" Or can just the rope be replaced with appropriate 7.5mm rope and incorporated into the system?

If you had to truly bail under emergency conditions, hang your old one up on the wall, hopefully its a once in a lifetime experience. If bail outs start to get expensive in replacing components, might want to consider why you are jumping out a window so often!

Comment

Originally posted by SubWay1 View Post
        sooo, nobody uses webbing?
        On my old vollie department,we'd all buy our own webbing:20 feet looped and tied with a figure 8.Jam your hallegan in a corner of a 2nd story window frame,catspaw the loop,toss the bitter end out the window,check the ground below and slide for life.
        "Catspaw":hold the middle of a line in both hands and turn your hands from palms in to palms out.You can then slide the bar through the loop thusly made and it will lock down on the bar when you pull on it some.

We were also getting some of the 5 ring web tubing loops(kind of looks like the Olympic rings)for self rescue,hose tying,tying in a ladder,etc.The ones we looked at cost beau coup bucks so the idea was to make them ourselves out of locally procured tube webbing .

Comment

Originally posted by phyrngn View Post
          I think that the system looks like it has some merits...however, I'm curious...

After hearing one of the last "Through the Smoke" Broadcasts, it was said that the "body belay" or using your gloved hands as a friction device is "out." Is this due to wet gloves, etc.? What are the reasons? My question is due to the fact that every survival class I've ever taken, including those taught by Salka and McCormack, has taught this method. Will there be a huge nationwide shift away from this method, or will it still be considered viable?

We have used the "old" way when teaching the techniques to my fellow firefighters; we've also passed the information on to fire departments that will *probably* never to be able to afford any other type of bailout system.

I like to keep my training and instruction up-to-date, plus I DO NOT WANT TO INJURE OR KILL ANY FIREFIGHTERS.

Will Petzl offer a Train-the-trainer for using the PSS in the event that someone in my region wants to purchase such equipment? Or will trainers only be selected by the company?
          It doesnt take much of a slip to f&$# up using this method.
          Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Originally posted by FlyingKiwi
          Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Originally posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Comment

Originally posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
            It doesnt take much of a slip to f&$# up using this method.

if thats all you have...use it rather than falling

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X