X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFDWaagner
    replied
    Halligan

Born and raised with a halligan in my hand. As a truckie I also bring a six foot roof hook. The other end of the hook has a pry end. Man talk about leverage. It too is rather more versatile than you might think. And I'm not talking about one of those wussy fiberglass jobs. Steel.

I just get this warm fuzzy feeling inside when I have my halligan in my hand.

A halligan makes quick work of forcing entry, breaching, popping windows, anchor points, you name it.

Leave a comment:

• JAFA62
    replied
    I take my officer as he is a "tool". I pick him up and throw him through the door. No really we have 3 on the line. Nozzlemen (nothing) Officer 6' foot pike pole and Irons man uses a halligan and Flat head axe combo. Some guys use the new #-n-T. (I didnt use a brand name here lol). The Search n Rescue crew have another Axe - halligan kit. They dont use a hose. But that topic was already done.
    Have a good 1

Leave a comment:

• doughesson
    replied
    Originally posted by HolleyFF241
    Here's my feeling on this subject:
    So shoot it with a silver bullet.
    I was always taught to bring both.As mentioned before,it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.That's why,as a towboat Mate,I'd always carry a spike pole on the barge when we were tying one up to a dock or a fleet.Yes,the dock lines might be in easy reach,but what if they aren't.
    Same with the tools we need for opening doors,breaking up walls,etc.We might not need the tools to inspect a house full of ceramics and the resident will much prefer we didn't have them on a rookie(me).But if there IS more than just the smell of kool whip bowls melted in the dishwasher involved,you're going to find that you should have had them already.

Leave a comment:

• kldugas412
    replied
    Thats why you grab the IRON'S

If you did'nt notice there is an 'S on the end of that. LOL I'm for the multi tool aproach. I would hate to get to a wood frame home just to find a cinder block safe room in the center that we need to get in to from one of the side walls.

ie; Vic hiding or waiting for help and a ceiling comes down in front of the safe room door.

Going back to the truck is not an option,for me.
    I'ts better to have and not need than to need and not have

Flat head axe and Halligan go to gether like bisket's and gravy.
    Or for us vet's Stink on ****

Leave a comment:

• Steeda83
    replied
    either one...as long as it's not a TNT tool!

Leave a comment:

• clancyxdogg
    replied
    Originally posted by NonSurfinCaFF
    That is a brush hook, its what we used for cutting through heavy brush before we got chainsaws. Personally I always thought they looked like they belong in a slasher movie, just looks like a natural for a guy in a hockey mask.
    Yeah, definitely an evil looking tool. (Sorry, there just seems to be one of these for every occasion!)

Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• HolleyFF241
    replied
    Here's my feeling on this subject:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ADSNWFLD
    replied
    The pick head axe is not completly useless, but if you have a flat head and a halligan you can do a lot more.

Just make sure the tool you grab is the right one for the job/building. I don't want to see my guys going into a tilt slab factory with a 6lb axe, bring the sledge or a maul and don't forget the halligan. You can tell the difference between the guys who bring tools because they have to and the guys who bring the correct tool. Have you ever seen the guy who is told to pull ceiling come in with a closet hook?

Teach the guys what to bring and why (new guys like the why)

But back to the topic at hand, The only place I take a 8lb pick head axe is to the roof. I like the halligan for breaching walls, and if you have lath and plaster make a hole with the fork end and slide the tool into the wall, then pull. Very large parts of the wall will come down and you don't risk breaking the handle like you could with an axe. Find the tools of the trade videos, a lot of good info in them.

Leave a comment:

• NonSurfinCaFF
    replied
    Originally posted by clancyxdogg
    What the heck is the second guy from the left carrying? Looks like a garden instrument...............
    That is a brush hook, its what we used for cutting through heavy brush before we got chainsaws. Personally I always thought they looked like they belong in a slasher movie, just looks like a natural for a guy in a hockey mask.

Leave a comment:

• Catch22
    replied
    Chainsaw. Just because I like gas driven power tools. That and it's less work.

Leave a comment:

• voyager9
    replied
    Originally posted by ChicagoFF
    It's too late now! Bottom line? Pick head axe.
    I take two axes.. I just don't feel safe enough with just one.

Leave a comment:

• Marco09
    replied
    Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• clancyxdogg
    replied
    Originally posted by FFFRED

Here...

FTM-PTB
    What the heck is the second guy from the left carrying? Looks like a garden instrument...............

Leave a comment:

• FFFRED
    replied
    It's too late now! Bottom line? Pick head axe.

Your right...and here are some photos of the best uses for Pick-head axes....

Here...

Here...

Here...

and Here...

FTM-PTB

Leave a comment:

• Dave1983
    replied
    How about this - bring them both. What, you can only carry one tool?
    Exactly...No reason not to carry both.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X