Halligan or Axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halligan or Axe

I'm not sure if this thread has been done before. But I'm curious to see what you guys think about using a Halligan for breaching a wall versus an axe. Both tools have advantages and disadvantages. I want to hear what you guys(and girls) think.

I'm too tired to have this fight again. How about this - bring them both. What, you can only carry one tool?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

ok good call, where can I find the previous thread so I don't start another dicussion that a whole bunch of people have already replied too?

Comment

It's too late now! Bottom line? Pick head axe.
        I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoFF

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pick Head axe is a great 'bashing' tool. I'd prefer this before a halligan if my life was on the line.

Comment

How about this - bring them both. What, you can only carry one tool?
            Exactly...No reason not to carry both.
            Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
            RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
            Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Your right...and here are some photos of the best uses for Pick-head axes....

Here...

Here...

Here...

and Here...

FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by FFFRED

Here...

FTM-PTB
                What the heck is the second guy from the left carrying? Looks like a garden instrument...............

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I take two axes.. I just don't feel safe enough with just one.
                    So you call this your free country
                    Tell me why it costs so much to live
                    -3dd

Comment

Chainsaw. Just because I like gas driven power tools. That and it's less work.

Comment

Originally posted by clancyxdogg
                        What the heck is the second guy from the left carrying? Looks like a garden instrument...............
                        That is a brush hook, its what we used for cutting through heavy brush before we got chainsaws. Personally I always thought they looked like they belong in a slasher movie, just looks like a natural for a guy in a hockey mask.

Comment

The pick head axe is not completly useless, but if you have a flat head and a halligan you can do a lot more.

Just make sure the tool you grab is the right one for the job/building. I don't want to see my guys going into a tilt slab factory with a 6lb axe, bring the sledge or a maul and don't forget the halligan. You can tell the difference between the guys who bring tools because they have to and the guys who bring the correct tool. Have you ever seen the guy who is told to pull ceiling come in with a closet hook?

Teach the guys what to bring and why (new guys like the why)

But back to the topic at hand, The only place I take a 8lb pick head axe is to the roof. I like the halligan for breaching walls, and if you have lath and plaster make a hole with the fork end and slide the tool into the wall, then pull. Very large parts of the wall will come down and you don't risk breaking the handle like you could with an axe. Find the tools of the trade videos, a lot of good info in them.

Comment

Here's my feeling on this subject:
                            Attached Files
                            My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Comment

Originally posted by NonSurfinCaFF
                              That is a brush hook, its what we used for cutting through heavy brush before we got chainsaws. Personally I always thought they looked like they belong in a slasher movie, just looks like a natural for a guy in a hockey mask.
                              Yeah, definitely an evil looking tool. (Sorry, there just seems to be one of these for every occasion!)

Thanks for the info.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X