No announcement yet.

The “Hoffy” Hose Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the point in having so many 100' preconnects. We have one, a bumper line for car & dumpster fires. Everything else is at least 150'.

Comment

Oops

I said it wrong Each apparatus has 2- 200' of 1 3/4 and 1- 100' of 1 3/4 and
      1 -200' of 2 1/2.

Comment

I'm still waiting to see a picture of an engine with the loops hanging in the front.
        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Been awhile since I checked in...

Sorry guys and gals if these entries ‘appear’ a bit long… I’ll just let this concern from those specific authors speak for themselves. In regards to better illustrations for each evolution, I agree, more are necessary to help better describe and validate each verifiable claim. Just please understand, prior to my medical retirement, I was responsible for supervising and training incarcerated inmates at a prison facility and therefore no photos could be taken of my crew and apparatus. The photo’s you request will be available soon as I am working with a fire academy that has a little flexibility outside the mandatory IFSTA Manual to assist me to illustrate each procedure… including 100'+ of hose coiled on a single or pair of horizontal supports of adequate size, strength, and durability for mobile attack that doubles as immediate structure and personnel and apparatus protection.

On another separate note, as this is clearly on "open" forum, “Haweater,” I am sure you have a lot to offer your department, but I am truly trying to be polite when I state you missed and/or misunderstood the intent of the video. Simply take another moment and count again the couplings... there are three (3)... times (X) 50'... and therefore the 150'+ industry SAFETY minimum can be deployed within 10’ feet of a threatened and as illustrated, severely burned over apparatus to prevent the very accusation you state, "Certainly looks handy for 100' beds, hope you have painted the truck with the b-b-q paint cuz you gotta pull up close!" I choose to not comment any further as I feel I made my point clear.

Again, we're all on the same team here. Perhaps you're initial-attack response area doesn't include a wildland threat of such potential volatility, nor do you feel there would any situation ever in which immediate deployment within any range of your apparatus up to the entire length of any pre-connect would be necessary. This is your call. As "unrealistic" as we all know and admit it is to circumvent a parked car and then return to your garaged apparatus to circumvent yet a second fixed object, a vertical post between two (2) bay doors no less, please just try to get all I am trying to illustrate is the fact even your absolute worst case scenario with an unlimited number of right angle turns you may encounter as you deploy your hose simply become a non-issue followed by the elimination of yet another important yet dangerous step as absolutely ZERO hand manipulation (required 'flaking' if and only if adequate space may even be available) is necessary to immediately obtain and secure 100% nozzle pressure under essentially ALL conditions.

My invitation to you is to try the same or similar “obstacle course” at your firehouse as you test any load you now have to see how it compares as one (1) fire fighter completes this evolution without ever abandoning the nozzle and therefore frees up other fire fighters for other important tactical operations such as RESCUE! …followed by the evolution of hand rolling each prepared coil of ‘charged’ line to further advance the nozzle almost effortlessly until literally every inch of hose is used to it’s entire length.

To answer DrParasite “so basicly what you are saying is in a 200 ft or 300 ft preconnect, all but the last 100 ft will still need to be flaked out, correct?”

Yes, to K.I.S.S., any length of hose up to the 100’ coil bundle can be folded in a “quadra-fold” as follows:

I will post photos to illustrate the female is coupled to male discharge, hose draped out of the bed down the side of the apparatus to the ground, then laid out perpendicular to a point a little less than ¼ the hose length out from apparatus, fold and reverse back to apparatus where hose met the ground at bottom of drape, then fold and reverse back to first fold a little less than ¼ the hose length out from apparatus, fold and reverse back to apparatus at bottom of drape, and finally vertically to connect the male coupling to female coupling of the coil hose bundle which is purposely positioned at the edge of the hose bed. This entire "quadra-fold" hose is then loaded as one (1) unit back and forth in the hose bed in a manner in which both folds become the two (2) primary indicator loops on the primary side of deployment and a single (1) indicator loop is created and positioned on the opposite side so it can be quickly removed from either side of the hose bed in its entirety as the video clearly illustrates.

In every scenario, the hose bed is cleared completely in one shot even when up to 200’ is “quadra-folded” [300’ hose load] in the manner described above. Every inch of hose can be laid in a relatively short single pull and the 100’ bundle can be charged the moment it hits the ground for immediate personnel and apparatus protection. No deviation is ever expected or suggested regarding you minimum standards. Just as a triple fold or other load (with their deployment limitations) can be mastered with little effort, this too can be learned but by utilizing laws of physics that actually work for us instead of against us.

Please do not get me wrong though, this is merely a suggestion as you’re are always the one who calls the shots. I am just trying to make everyone aware of some of the dangers we face out here out west and the impact this knowledge has to assist even the smallest of departments when personnel and resources are stretched to the bare minimums.

As always, every comment is welcomed and appreciated. You have all made me think of issues I didn’t know that I didn’t know that clearly need to be answered. All my best as the holiday season approaches. Please feel free to www.hftfire.com where I plan to make further changes and write me direct at [email protected]

Comment

My goal is to...

...answer all your questions. The reality is most extremely long hose loads are typically (with my 20+ years of experience) only at best perhaps 60% efficient. In other words, 200' feet of hose yields approximately at best maybe 120' of true advance as the remaining 80' is laid back and forth somewhere on the fire ground with many unavoidable kinks essentially never to be utilized once 'charged' in place where it was originally 'flaked.' Please know I completely understand the need to extend to the end of a long driveway where more hose actually fulfills this purpose.

My first deployment demonstrates how one (1) [as myself] can deploy every inch of 150' of 150' of hose in less than forty seconds... with no kinks... by circumventing any obstacle encountered. The second demonstrates this same attack line can be immediately deployed as a protection line in less than 30 seconds... within 10' of your apparatus... again, in both cases, only one (1) fire fighter to do the ENTIRE job to free up other personnel to immediately deploy multiple [back-up] lines simultaneously and other important tasks such as RESCUE! ...to be perhaps a little more efficient with every second we are afforded to do what we have all committed our lives to do... SAFELY!

My latest post describes the manner in which a 300' line can be deployed a little less than 50' from your apparatus and fully deployed in a manner of seconds under nearly all conditions... with the flexibility to run the length of a long drive way without the need of an extension... and yet under all conditions ALWAYS have the ability to immediately charge this PROTECTION line at the mere drop of the bundle the moment there is a need for, "WATER!" ...even if the nozzleman can't communicate he is 'prepared' for the line to be charged, all he has to do is lay low and wait! The load "flakes" [charges in the coil configuration] itself out automatically with absolutely NO water restrictive kinks!

I am currently obtaining bids to manufacture and distribute the hose roller at a more 'realistic' production price... Again, you choose the device that best fits your needs... you can either just roll your hose in the field or back at the station like you have never in the past... or obtain the complete system that does it all in which either model can be quickly converted into a rope rescue pulley system in a matter of moments when seconds truly count. There is no other with such versatility!

All my best!

Rich Hoffmann
            Fire Captain/Peace Officer (med-ret.)
            www.hftfire.com
            (888) 602-FIRE

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse