No announcement yet.

The “Hoffy” Hose Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looks interesting. I'm not willing to pay money though to learn how to pack hose. That just seems absurd. But if anyone knows how this was done and can explain it I'd love to know.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

Metro Hose Pack

If he's trying to sell the hose roller, that's one thing...but if he's trying to patent the "Hoffy," that's another thing.

I found an article on Fire Engineering's Website entitled THE METRO HOSE PACK: URBANIZING A WILDLAND SUCCESS that looks strikingly similar. And it was FREE information.

I also had a brother firefighter from Washington State send me some pictures of their hose deployment...it, too, was strikingly similar to the Hoffy. They called it the "Seattle Flop," I believe. But it was FREE....no strings attached

Fire Engineering in February 2002 also has an article called FRONT BUMPER PRECONNECT HOSELINES by Jake Rixner. This also deploys pretty well without the "dreaded" kinks. FREE information....

I think that all this stuff works if you practice it, different departments have different things that work for them. This load (like anything else) is not panacea for the fire service, and needs to be trained on by all who might use it.

I'll have to agree...paying $ to pack hose is not the way to go. It seems that he's trying to take advantage of the brothers. I have packed the hose this way, and it didn't take a fancy hose roller to do it.

Good topic....

Comment

Originally posted by FTMPTB15
        Ladies and Gentlemen... I hate to bring in another ad, BUT I just have this amazing new tool that I "invented." This thing is GREAT! Well, do I have the solution for you!! I have come up with a crafty little object that has been designed to prevent your truck from moving when it's parked. Yes... yes.. I know.. please hold your applause until the end. You simply place this ingenious object either in front of or behind your truck's tire and it WILL NOT roll over it. Amazing... I'm working on getting my video online. (Patents pending)
        Well,I have spent time puttering in my home chemistry lab,to the everlasting consternation of my high school chemistry teacher,and have invented a compound that can be used to extinguish fires, cool an automobile engine and you can even drink it to refresh you while at a fire.
        I call it W.A.T.E.R or Wet,Aqueous,Taste Enhanced Refreshment.
        It is easily made if you have the proper proportions of easily acquired chemicals.
        I am taking requests for the formula at 1-800 456-####.Please have your credit card handy because our operators are standing.Bye.

Comment

Originally posted by preid76
          He has patented two variations of hose roller machines; he has NOT patented the hose load itself. So loading your crosslays like he depicts in the video does not violate his patent.

I like to keep an open mind to new techniques and wish the website was more informative.
          I too have an open mind. If this style hose load would have life easier, then I'd like to attempt to use it and see if it does work any better.

I wish the website was more informative and gave a better description of how exactly to create the hose rolls. I did request a DVD hoping that it will be better video quality so we can figure out how to create this load.

Does anyone have pictures / instructions on how some of the other hose loads like this are done ?
          Chief Jim Bator
          www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
          Got Crust?
          FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

JJBat

JJBat...I tried to post what I had, and the file was too big. If you'd like, I can email what I have....

Comment

Thanks phyrngn, check you PM's
              Chief Jim Bator
              www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
              Got Crust?
              FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Look, call me old fashioned, or stubborn, or even stupid if you wish, but explain to me how a fire department is supposed to train their neighbors and mutual aid partners in pulling a hose load that no one but they use. It seems an unecessary complication to me.

With any other hose load that I am aware of a mutual aid company can stretch the line without having to be trained by the host FD on how to pull a preconnect.

FyredUp
                Crazy, but that's how it goes
                Millions of people living as foes
                Maybe it's not too late
                To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Besides, if you have that kind of time to load a fancy hose load like that, you need more fires and relevant training....
                  My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                  "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                  George Mason
                  Co-author of the Second Amendment
                  during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
                  Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

The load looks like the Gazner load that the US Forest Service has used for many years. We have used the load for the last 8 years. You dont need to purchase anything to load the Gazner. You just place the male coulping in the center and wrap the hose to the desired length of your hose bed. We are a Min staffed combination FD, the Gazner load when charged is great for the attack team because it allows the back up fireifhgter to bring in a couple of small loops into the structure. If you have any questions let me know.

Comment

Um, what happened to the long post by the guy who came up with the video and hose load? It was here a little while ago.
                      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Guessing the WT deleted it. It was advertising afterall. Usually though they leave a message that they deleted something.
                        Fir Na Tine
                        Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

Thank you so much for all...

...the comments everyone has posted.

I hear and accept every entry as valid as I am very clear the referred video presentation I created leaves many holes in the entire scope of what I am truly striving to communicate. The online version is merely an open contribution of a few laws of physics I have found many of our comrades to disregard or taken for granted by

Please understand my goal here is not to launch my business from this platform (as I truly did not even know this existed until literally hours ago!) but rather to be given an equal opportunity to bring clarity to each comment above as my only hope once again is to contribute from an educational point of view what I feel is rather significant as an extended tactical application into the arena of municipal fire fighting of what has been exercised for years in wildland fire fighting as referenced in many comments posted above.

Please trust me when I state I would never expect to "sell" a hose load, but rather provide an opportunity for perhaps another application/method that has many benefits most hose loads do not exhibit (immediate deployed in record time adjacent to your fire apparatus with only one (1) personnel), and if and only if desired, provide a tool to perform a large gamut of functions which includes rope rescue and (if desired) the facilitation of such a method that only you could possibly determine as appropriate based on your knowledge of your department’s needs that would truly make a real difference and would therefore be worth any investment at all.

Again, like you, please know I am only interested in what we can do as a whole to help others with the gifts we have all been blessed. Please feel free to write me direct

Regards

Rich Hoffmann

Comment

Website with the Rest of the Story...

First off, I am not some high pressure sales person, but rather a medically retired Fire Captain (w/ Peace Officer duties that makes me an Ex- "Pig in Heat!") Do me a favor and let me know what you think upon reviewing the actual patented device at:

www.hoseroller.us

...which should help fill you in (less the rope rescue winch attachment/application) as it compares to the (hilarious guys!) other incredible inventions like the "Wheel Tire Thingee" and incredibly refreshing, fire extinguishing, and all purpose solvent "Hydrogen-Hydroxide. All I'm asking for is your open and honest opinion(s). Please fire away!

Thanks

P.S. Complete video out soon... thanks for your patience.

for a better understanding of what this

Comment

Guess the video isn't out yet... this is what YouTube told me when I clicked your link:

This is a private video. If you have been sent this video, please make sure you accept the sender's friend request.
                              Never gotten that message before!
                              Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

I guess I gotta fix my settings...

I will have this repaired as quickly as I am able... I am just not that familiar with the limitations of YouTube to create a ink to a somewhat private presentation to illustrate full function and design to those whom have expressed an interest.

Addtionally, without crossing any boundaries with the rules and regs of this thread, with this notice I will attempt to email this link to everyone who has commented so far. Again, I hope you understand I am just another dedicated fire fighter looking for feedback as we are all clear this is never about us... but rather those we lead and those we have committed our lives to serve.

Thanks,

Rich Hoffmann
                                www.hftfire.com
                                www.fireandlifesafety.org
                                www.hoseroller.us

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse