PASS devices for nonfire responses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PASS devices for nonfire responses

Many FD's have SCBA with integrated PASS into it. those are nice and will help cut down on LODDs. Now lets say you go to a collapse or other tech rescue call. do yo want to wear a SCBA if the atmosphere is good. If you don't wear your SCBA will you stil have a PASS on you. Do any FD's have SOG or SOP on using a PASS of the fireground? Does anyone have any ideas on this? does anybody keep a PASS in your gear or a bag with you?
    J
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

IMO, PASS devices were great for when you are in a smoky condition and people can't simply look and see you. In a clear environment where people can see/hear you....I don't see the need for it.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42
      IMO, PASS devices were great for when you are in a smoky condition and people can't simply look and see you. In a clear environment where people can see/hear you....I don't see the need for it.
      Exactly. I think some sort of accountability tag in/tag out system is sufficient for this type of operation.

Comment

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

so with an effective accountability system in place you guys say it works. I can go with that thanks for the help.
          J
          It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

Last edited by Nine3Probie; 07-28-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Collapse

I agree that the collapse situation brings in a unique dimension to the PASS equation. We have integrated PASS on every pack that we have in the department. The HAZMAT team has their own dedicated packs that do not have PASS alarms and these are the packs that would most likely be used in a collapse/trench situation. It kind of avoids us having to deal with your question haha. But I do agree if accountability is working well then there is no real need for PASS if people are above ground at a collapse but I would prefer there to be some backup in place for those going down into the hot zone. (in this case the collapse area)
              ----------
              "Cubby"
              FD343NY W6 Countless Others
              Still Riding

Comment

Last edited by sfd2605; 03-17-2008, 08:00 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X